Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

There are different shades of bronze to consider. I prefer a more subtle sand shade rather than the in-yer-face OZ Racing shade
Think bronze could work on a neutral colour like your grey. I even found my mind wandering to it for an Ascot van

Fortana is quite a strong colour and brings out the orange tones in the bronze. To my eye, they aren’t a natural marriage. I would definitely go a neutral accent with a strong body colour.

I bumped into our mechanic the other day, he has a Beach and a Transporter for his daily, which I spotted on steels wearing K02s.

I asked about them, he said fuel economy takes a big hit, they are noisy over 50mph and they wear out much more quickly. He got 4k miles on one pair

But they do look good!

Really, the noise I get although I don’t notice it in mine now, the Dynaudio sound system helps!. The KO2’s have done over 35,000 miles on mine including a fair bit of off roading and still have 7mm tread left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, the noise I get although I don’t notice it in mine now, the Dynaudio sound system helps!. The KO2’s have done over 35,000 miles on mine including a fair bit of off roading and still have 7mm tread left.

That’s his feedback. He used to be a chief engineer for Porsche, so I trust his judgement.

That said, he mentioned that they wheelspin a lot on the steep hill where he works & lives. So that would be a considerable contributory factor.

I think you have 4 Motion, so wouldn’t have this issue.

My gut is to go for function for my use case over form. Love BFG, but I don’t need them. Nor the price!

That’s his feedback. He used to be a chief engineer for Porsche, so I trust his judgement.

That said, he mentioned that they wheelspin a lot on the steep hill where he works & lives. So that would be a considerable contributory factor.

I think you have 4 Motion, so wouldn’t have this issue.

My gut is to go for function for my use case over form. Love BFG, but I don’t need them. Nor the price!

That would be a factor for sure, my first reaction was is he drag racing in his Beach! I know people in trucks that have 60,000+ from a set, I reckon I’ll get 50,000+ from this set which makes the high price more palatable for sure.

I had a Mini Copper S that used to get through a set of front tyres every 5,000 miles which was very painful on the wallet!

That would be a factor for sure, my first reaction was is he drag racing in his Beach! I know people in trucks that have 60,000+ from a set, I reckon I’ll get 50,000+ from this set which makes the high price more palatable for sure.

I had a Mini Copper S that used to get through a set of front tyres every 5,000 miles which was very painful on the wallet!

I'm tempted to question whether people who get 60,000 miles from a set of AT tyres actually really really need AT tyres...

Jus' sayin. :Grin

I'm tempted to question whether people who get 60,000 miles from a set of AT tyres actually really really need AT tyres...

Jus' sayin. :Grin

It’s the cheapest option at that mileage

What about bronze wheels on a black body ?
I’ve gone for Michelin AGILIS crossClimate for a spring / summer tyre
Not sure why smell checker did AGILIS as capitals (shrug)

What about bronze wheels on a black body ?
I’ve gone for Michelin AGILIS crossClimate for a spring / summer tyre
Not sure why smell checker did AGILIS as capitals (shrug)
Fair game I’d say! Go for it. Which ones are you looking at?

Last edited:
Agree with @JuanVecino2023
Think bronze could work on a neutral colour like your grey. I even found my mind wandering to it for an Ascot van

Fortana is quite a strong colour and brings out the orange tones in the bronze. To my eye, they aren’t a natural marriage. I would definitely go a neutral accent with a strong body colour.
Definitely satin black with the Fontana Red. I’m going gloss black Wolfrace Assassins on my Ascot Grey but if I’d had the balls, think I would have gone for the bronze.

Black all the way, followed by grey. The bronze imo just looks like a bloke wandering down the road with brown shoes and a black belt. Coordinate, damnit! :D
I remember some of your clobber from back in the day so I’m taking that as a vote of confidence in the bronze.

Have settled on black as expected, still think Fortana and bronze can work but probably on a more delicate-looking wheel.

Still not 100% between the Gelida-AT or the Sparco Gravel, am letting it sit for a little while :)

IMG_1891.jpeg

IMG_1896.jpeg

Last edited:
Navis also do one called the Mac-AT but think that’s a bit too boy racer!

IMG_1897.jpeg

The Sparco has the pedigree. I've owned several sets of OZ's and never had an issue.

The Sparco has the pedigree. I've owned several sets of OZ's and never had an issue.
I can’t find too many pictures of it is the only thing. Doesn’t particularly excite me here.

IMG_1895.jpeg

It's either 'Sleek Boy Racer Rim' or 'Very Busy AT Rim' from what i've seen. The very few that land in the middle are a bit generic looking.
I think this is exactly why I’ve settled on steel modulars.

You are spot on, most aftermarket look unnecessarily busy. Great on a Dakar car, but not so much a 3 tonne camper.

Added bonus, cheaper and more durable.

Last edited:
I think this is wlexactky why I’ve settled on steel modulars.

You are spot on, most aftermarket look unnecessarily busy. Great on a Dakar car, but not so much a 3 tonne camper.

Added bonus, cheaper and more durable.
Each to their own but I think steelies look pretty bland, would rather stick with my Woodstocks. Want a bit of busyness on mine.

Each to their own but I think steelies look pretty bland, would rather stick with my Woodstocks. Want a bit of busyness on mine.
Argh. I had all but convinced myself the use case for steel modular wheels for my van.

Now I’m tying myself in knots looking at alloy options on Wheelbase

I blame this forum entirely for my spiralling scope creep and dwindling funds.