Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Currently debating these:
WarlordBlackkkk_62918635-540e-45cf-9d50-7f62735d09ad_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Thinking they're the least garish looking of any of the Swamper alloys out there currently, and would suit the Pearl Black rather well.....
5c0129d5-fc16-4e98-b1e0-48766c6320b4.jpeg8c5e6f96-3088-4699-8d0f-f05b0966bed4.jpeg
I like mine

I do love a Warlord but think you’re missing a trick not going for bronze wheels on a black van ;)

I was hesitant at first but went with the two tone gunmetal black satin with the bronze bead ring. It’s a very light brushed bronze and I’m happy with the contrast as it adds some “pop”. Also hides the brake dust a bit longer between maintenance washes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a Sprinter? I’ve read a few horror stories of them toppling over off road. Mind you any vehicle can roll in the wrong circumstances.

Sprinter based Hymer it looks like

Slightly off on a tangent - have you seen the Crafter based Kaktus vans? They are made in Wales and look amazing - very expensive but some really nice features. Or have you already bought a bigger van?

Several vloggers highlighted and Kaktus vans during their tour of the recent NEC Show

Slightly off on a tangent - have you seen the Crafter based Kaktus vans? They are made in Wales and look amazing - very expensive but some really nice features. Or have you already bought a bigger van?

Alright have a deposit on a Sprinter Hymer. Following this thread because lots of things cross-over between the Cali Swamper and Merc.
Some of the wheels here are lush.
One of my first jobs, wheels and tyres.

The issue with the Sprinter is possibly the height. They’re tall vehicles for off road use…

Have any of you templated your van living area for replacement flooring or replaced with anything other than Brandrup carpets or Dunelm rugs etc?

I was loathe to pay the premium for VW wood effect.

I toyed with some real wood, but feels like a massive, impractical hassle.

Lately, I favour marine grade cork. Durable, good sound dampening, looks good (to me).

Not cheap. Project Yonder Sprinter interior for reference.

IMG_1515.jpeg

Have any of you templated your van living area for replacement flooring or replaced with anything other than Brandrup carpets or Dunelm rugs etc?

Lately, I favour marine grade cork. Durable, good sound dampening, looks good (to me).

View attachment 119594

View attachment 119594
I covered my floor with some cheap wood effect vinyl tiles from B&Q, 16 months on of muddy boots and muddy dog it’s still holding up really well. I do like that cork floor though

Whatever you do think about if it insulates well if planning off season camping. I already had a wood floor, but use 12v heated floor mats if it’s super cold, or standard floor mats if not. If they get dirty I can toss them in the wash and the floor is protected. The cork looks amazing though! If I had to do a floor too I’d consider adding underfloor heating with 12v too. Heated with the flip of a switch. Some vans offer this as an option and it’s pretty slick!

Whatever you do think about if it insulates well if planning off season camping. I already had a wood floor, but use 12v heated floor mats if it’s super cold, or standard floor mats if not. If they get dirty I can toss them in the wash and the floor is protected. The cork looks amazing though! If I had to do a floor too I’d consider adding underfloor heating with 12v too. Heated with the flip of a switch. Some vans offer this as an option and it’s pretty slick!

I really wish someone comes up with a simple plug and play lithium upgrade for the Cali to power all these great gadgets! I’ve seen a few companies offering this now (mostly in Europe) but they are usually hellishly expensive. A 200Ah LifePro with DC charger that fits under the front seat or under the wardrobe would be perfect. Would save a bit of weight, free up a bit of extra space and for most of us 200Ah would keep us going almost indefinitely off grid with even just 100w of solar.

I really wish someone comes up with a simple plug and play lithium upgrade for the Cali to power all these great gadgets! I’ve seen a few companies offering this now (mostly in Europe) but they are usually hellishly expensive. A 200Ah LifePro with DC charger that fits under the front seat or under the wardrobe would be perfect. Would save a bit of weight, free up a bit of extra space and for most of us 200Ah would keep us going almost indefinitely off grid with even just 100w of solar.

AUTARKING in Switzerland offers 100Ah batteries at 600Chf a piece now. Just 6 months ago they were double the cost.

I would install lithium and forego the solar.
I think solar is over rated for vans. Eventually you need to empty toilets and rubbish. You as well charge up the Lith and have another 5/6 days of power…

I would install lithium and forego the solar.
I think solar is over rated for vans. Eventually you need to empty toilets and rubbish. You as well charge up the Lith and have another 5/6 days of power…
But to have both. Dreamy !

These look bang tidy.

I was trying to dial the price back to starting with a 4 Motion Cali and adding wheels, racks etc to get to a vaguely similar spec.

Given the amount of spending I’m adding just on wheels & a roofrack/ladder, I might as well go the whole hog and get one of these.

At least I can live in it when the family boot me out.

but use 12v heated floor mats if it’s super cold,
Got a link for those? been skiing a few weekends this winter and the floor does get hellishly cold. I'm using a mat now, but once I do Lithiums a heated matt would just be plush
AUTARKING in Switzerland offers 100Ah batteries at 600Chf a piece now.
You can probably get 4x280Ah 3.6v cells by now, for anyone that knows a bit of electronics and is so inclined. And I think those will fit under the passenger seat. I built a 100Ah battery in my pre-cali days (B grade cells, 86Ah effective as tested by me, to run electrics while camping in my previous car) and that was a bargain at the time at under 300chf. Still going

Got a link for those? been skiing a few weekends this winter and the floor does get hellishly cold. I'm using a mat now, but once I do Lithiums a heated matt would just be plush

You can probably get 4x280Ah 3.6v cells by now, for anyone that knows a bit of electronics and is so inclined. And I think those will fit under the passenger seat. I built a 100Ah battery in my pre-cali days (B grade cells, 86Ah effective as tested by me, to run electrics while camping in my previous car) and that was a bargain at the time at under 300chf. Still going

As you can see, once you start adding MPPT’s, a CerboGX and BuckBoost DC-DC charger things get very tight. I can barely fit the 100Ah’s.
1a61dbb7251d19489e555b3e7c07e934.jpg

434ac23afb1477e764e735706ed85fb6.jpg

5c4de6be31a01720ed446a2896f92489.jpg

ce5d23bdc9d57050ee69ac93c8bbe967.jpg