Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

What’s everyone’s thoughts? I love it but each too their own bull bar

View attachment 120713
Don’t do it, if you get into accident with bulbar fitted could end up in a lot of trouble.
Imagine if a little kid ran out in front of that.
Spend the money on ledlenzer grill lights

What’s everyone’s thoughts? I love it but each too their own bull bar

View attachment 120713
I got absolutely slated (4 years ago) when I bought up the idea of a bull bar on the front of a California.
After 2 years of owning 2x California’s 6.1’s
I now agree and think they would only be of use in AUS when you run the risk of Roo’s crossing and want to protect your Air Co sensor and radiator ;)

My mechanic just informed me he has new batteries that will easily fit under my seats with all my MPPT’s and Cerbo GX. 180Ah each for 360Ah. The badtard has to tempt me doesn’t he…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the batteries? I’m almost certainly going to go Lithium when it’s time to replace my AGM’s. I assume I’ll need to find room for a B2B charger so battery that is a compact size is appealing.

My mechanic just informed me he has new batteries that will easily fit under my seats with all my MPPT’s and Cerbo GX. 180Ah each for 360Ah. The badtard has to tempt me doesn’t he…

TAKE MY MONEY. RIGHT NOW !
Tbh, I’m done with 150ah, just doesn’t cut the mustard over end of Autumn, through winter.
I’ve just stopped charging for 4 hours a night every night through the winter.
Just to keep topped up.
(I could switch off all my electronics when I get home, but cba)

Parking out the front of the house now, so get daylight and it starts going from 12.1v upwards at 09:30 now.

Pass the details on when you know more.
I’ll ask my local Van Centre if it would be an issue for warranty.

What are the batteries? I’m almost certainly going to go Lithium when it’s time to replace my AGM’s. I assume I’ll need to find room for a B2B charger so battery compact size is appealing.

Not sure. They will be available in 6 weeks from AUTARKING in Switzerland. Heated too when temps drop below 5C. And can put out 300A continuous each so 600A in parallel. He expects them to cost 1000 CHF each installed. I’m tempted as I could easily sell the 2*100Ah I have now. I love my Nespresso, Air Fryer and charging my Super73 RX so this is super tempting.

TAKE MY MONEY. RIGHT NOW !
Tbh, I’m done with 150ah, just doesn’t cut the mustard over end of Autumn, through winter.
I’ve just stopped charging for 4 hours a night every night through the winter.
Just to keep topped up.
(I could switch off all my electronics when I get home, but cba)

Parking out the front of the house now, so get daylight and it starts going from 12.1v upwards at 09:30 now.

Pass the details on when you know more.
I’ll ask my local Van Centre if it would be an issue for warranty.

I can’t charge at home so use EV chargers often in Winter. Always fun to see the puzzled looks of Tesla’s when they roll up and see me charging.

Not sure. They will be available in 6 weeks from AUTARKING in Switzerland. Heated too when temps drop below 5C. And can put out 300A continuous each so 600A in parallel. He expects them to cost 1000 CHF each installed. I’m tempted as I could easily sell the 2*100Ah I have now. I love my Nespresso, Air Fryer and charging my Super73 RX so this is super tempting.

That doesn’t sound an unreasonable price for 180Ah fitted

That doesn’t sound an unreadable price for 160 fitted

2000 CHF fitted. For 360Ah total. I always set them to max discharge 90% though so in real world use I have 324Ah usable. That’ll do just fine!

I just bought a Dometic CFF 12 Cooler box to use as a freezer. It’s right but fits between the front seats. Nice for keeping the ice cream, filet de perche and pommel frittes ice cold!

*tight. Too many beers tonight. On vacation in Ticino.

I got absolutely slated (4 years ago) when I bought up the idea of a bull bar on the front of a California.
After 2 years of owning 2x California’s 6.1’s
I now agree and think they would only be of use in AUS when you run the risk of Roo’s crossing and want to protect your Air Co sensor and radiator ;)
Roo bats absolutely acceptable in Aus.

We should accessorise with pheasant bars here.

2000 CHF fitted. For 360Ah total. I always set them to max discharge 90% though so in real world use I have 324Ah usable. That’ll do just fine!

Sounds great!

Off subject a bit what’s the GVW of your Joker? Is the base vehicle a LWB T32 and I assume you get a bump in payload with the air suspension? I’m looking at having my Cali GVW upgraded to 3195kg - it’s just a paper exercise but the extra 115kg of payload will be very useful as I hover around the maximum payload.

Sounds great!

Off subject a bit what’s the GVW of your Joker? Is the base vehicle a LWB T32 and I assume you get a bump in payload with the air suspension? I’m looking at having my Cali GVW upgraded to 3195kg - it’s just a paper exercise but the extra 115kg of payload will be very useful as I hover around the maximum payload.

With the Goldschmidt air suspension it’s certified at 3,480Kg. And with full tanks and fully loaded I need it! Always running at about 3,300-3,400. Best thing is to be able to weigh the van on demand with this suspension. VB can’t do that.

Many years ago in my yoof on the New Forest we used to hunt pheasants. My mate had an old Morris 1300 and I would ride shotgun and stun the pheasants on the back lanes by whacking them with the passenger door! We used to sell our ‘catch’ to a local game butcher no questions asked!

Many years ago in my yoof on the New Forest we used to hunt pheasants. My mate had an old Morris 1300 and I would ride shotgun and stun the pheasants on the back lanes by whacking them with the passenger door! We used to sell our ‘catch’ to a local game butcher no questions asked!

Haha. Is that where the handle 'wildslammer' originates. 22 confirmed kills?

Would need police style mesh bars across windscreen for pheasants.
I remember whilst working at IBM Greenford, my buddy came back in his transit, the passenger side of the front windscreen had a big hole in.
The pheasant was stuck into the passenger seat. He said he hit it about 75 on a country lane !!
Very lucky lad.

Don’t do it, if you get into accident with bulbar fitted could end up in a lot of trouble.
Imagine if a little kid ran out in front of that.
Spend the money on ledlenzer grill lights
So what’s your thoughts on my defender should I scrap it?it’s got steel bumper ?
i get the safety stuff but really will it make any difference ?
I see wagons blasting down b roads boy racers flying about ,my Cali with a steel bar won’t make much difference I am sure lol

So what’s your thoughts on my defender should I scrap it?it’s got steel bumper ?
i get the safety stuff but really will it make any difference ?
I see wagons blasting down b roads boy racers flying about ,my Cali with a steel bar won’t make much difference I am sure lol
defenders are still allowed on the roads, bullbars only allowed if it can justified (farmer, gamekeeper etc).
Fit one and have an accident, would the police/insurance companies look into why it’s on there.
Love swamper looks and about to build one, think there’s better options with roof mounted or grill mounted lights.
People do fit them and have never seen or heard police doing anything about them, but it’s what they do if there’s an accident or whether you could live any consequences.