Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mobile phone holders

I use a Scorcher but the vent clip one. Get them from go outdoors with added discount for CCC members.

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/scosche-magicmount-vent-p367011
Which vent do you use Teejay? I'm thinking central for proximity to USB points. Always used the right vent as right handed in the past.
Do you use carplay in your Ocean? I'm still assessing how much I need to see the screen with Android Auto in my case.....I guess it will particularly help on short journeys when I've not plugged in my phone.

Which vent do you use Teejay? I'm thinking central for proximity to USB points. Always used the right vent as right handed in the past.
Do you use carplay in your Ocean? I'm still assessing how much I need to see the screen with Android Auto in my case.....I guess it will particularly help on short journeys when I've not plugged in my phone.
I actually have two both using both inner vents. I use Carplay and Android Auto with Waze and Google Maps. TomTom on Android also, which I use on the right next too wheel.

I can take a pic but it's dark an Islay at the moment. ;)

Not so high tech but I use a piece of velcro on the dash. I only use the phone as a hotspot for the radio.15223461994401652476807.jpg

does anyone have an experience of this:

looks good to me, i just have a slight concern about it distorting the dashboard plastic a bit?

my plan (as someone without app connect!) would be to fit this, then the adaptor Loz has, then run the wire neatly down and away and connect it somewhere out of sight....with one of these:

any thoughts very welcome!

Last edited:
my plan (as someone without app connect!) would be to fit this, then the adaptor Loz has, then run the wire neatly down and away and connect it somewhere out of sight....with one of these:

View attachment 47785

any thoughts very welcome!

so @Loz (or anyone else obviously!) - any suggestions as to where/how i could hard wire this in? (i don't have any usb sockets in the glove or cubby hole.) maybe run the wire down and then into the fuse box under the bottle holder? (i guess i will need a double fuse thing?)

so answering my own question to some extent, i guess i need to find a route from the brodit mount by the upper vent, down into the fuse box, (is there space to run a wire behind/between to bits of trim?) then wire into here (below thanks LOZ!) somewhere (any reason not to have it live all the time? Could drain the battery?)

I guess if it's 'switched' it might be better, so then i piggy it to the SC36. Any earth locations anyone can suggest?

1564063195787.png

so @Loz (or anyone else obviously!) - any suggestions as to where/how i could hard wire this in? (i don't have any usb sockets in the glove or cubby hole.) maybe run the wire down and then into the fuse box under the bottle holder? (i guess i will need a double fuse thing?)
yes, possibly, but if you are going to that level, why see if your radio(not sure what you have) can take a USB?

well, the radio has a USB on the front of it, so i could just get a short flexi cord and plug it in there, but if it has one at the back, ah, you mean i could just sort of run the cord down and round the back to the radio?

radio.jpg

i think maybe you are right. The neatest thing would be to run the wire out the back, behind the brodit thing and through to the back of the radio via the side of the air vent. I'll look at the manual tonight and see if there is any info about what is on the back of this radio (not a lot I suspect. i could take the one on the front away and use that behind.)

i guess the radio of pretty easy to remove...?

so, found this, if anyone is following! Looks easy enough...

i'll let you know how i get on. My stero makes this one look advanced!

so, for anyone that is interested, (and anyone who couldn't find the information anywhere else from searching) I successfully, and relatively easily, hard wired my brodit phone mount to my new T6. I drilled two holes: one in the brodit mount itself, and one on the inside of the air vent, then ran a cable down to the fuse box, where i found a perfectly good earth spot tucked up above the fuses.

1. Took facia off with bike levers (and fingers) and the little plastic tool Brodit sent, then fed the usb cable through to the fuse box (i started with a bike brake cable housing, then once through taped the USB cable to it to pull it back.

1564818788318.png

It runs from the right had side of the radio down (and i easily fed it along the top of the raido)

1564818927978.png

I then drilled these bits....(12mm)..... and put the usb though (it was fiddly getting the usb through the air vent, i had to push it though from the other side with a pencil)

1564819021243.png

Fascia almost back on....

1564819152781.png

i then used a piggy back fuse thing and connected the usb (with the brodit hard wire kit) to fuse for the rear wash wipe (so connected to the ignition), and then went on a quest for an earth.

I tried this (found on this site) but it didn't work:

1564819314358.png

Then i spotted another place just above the fuse grabber thing, and tried that, and hey presto, we have power:

1564819378289.png

here is the final view of the fuse box:
1564819466574.png

all the cables easily tucked down there to the right.

Final result - i'm very happy with indeed. I had thought about upgrading to an Absolute5 recommended system (and i may still do that later, and thanks to Jason for takign the time to talk me though the options - really sound bloke), but for now, this is as good as i'm going to get. Neat and does all my navigation etc. The bluetooth phone thing even works well with the very basic car audio system, including being able to talk to google assistant etc.

1564819718764.png

1564819747989.png

1564819789467.png

this is for a Samsung S8 by the way, and the Brodit kit is fast charging it, which is great. (you can get them for iphone and ipad minis too - could be worth thinking about.)

Back