Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mobile roaming charges in Andorra

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

Summer tour 2022 will bring us to France (stay in the region of Cantal for a few days), to Andorra (for 1 or 2 nights) and to northern Spain (Las Bardenas Reales for 2 or 3 nights), then to the west coast and up north back to Cherbourg.

Mobile roaming for France and Spain seems no problem, but I just got this information from my mobile provider (Tescomobile):

1652431866656.png

Of course we could switch off the mobiles and router (I can't switch off the SIM card for the car alarm), but without Internet research is a little bit more inconvenient. For google maps we can download the data for Andorra and switch the mobile into flight mode.

I was wondering if other people visited Andorra (or traveled through) managed their mobile access?

Regards,
Eberhard

Last time I went into Andorra, Vodafone blocked my data use (few years ago now).
It was my fault as didn’t make them aware and they didn’t want me to run up a massive bill.
I now have a spending management thing on my phone/data so it won’t let me run up extra on my monthly contract.
So if you want to use it in Andorra maybe see if you can set a limit, if you are on campsites then just use there wifi.
If you get off the main petrol station highway, you will be to busy enjoying the stunning views to need it though.

Best thing about Andorra is the speed that you can get through it! Apart from cheap booze and fags not much else really. The mountains are nice on the way out to France and worth a stop for a walk (or skiing) but otherwise just drive in and out :D

Oh, and used to be bonkers cheap fuel at the service station near the ski resort :thumb

Hello @4x4 joker,

Thank you for your feedback.

It seems from beginning of 2022 there were some changes about roaming in Europe. Within Europe it seems to be easy, reaching 80% of the roaming allowances a text is send to warn the user. Ignoring this no more than EUR 62,10 can be added up. That should prevent mobile users to run up a bill of hundreds of Euros.

I try to gather information for the trip now, but we want to keep checking during the trip if there is something else we want to see or we change our route because of bad weather etc.

I didn't expect that Andorra does not participate the EU roaming arrangements (I know Andorra is not in the EU, but it would make life easier for visitors and for citizens of Andorra).

Knowing the situation helps to prepare. But it is a bit more inconvenient. But we won't spend a long time there anyway (have I said that I am looking forward to the visit).

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello @4x4 joker,

Thank you for your feedback.

It seems from beginning of 2022 there were some changes about roaming in Europe. Within Europe it seems to be easy, reaching 80% of the roaming allowances a text is send to warn the user. Ignoring this no more than EUR 62,10 can be added up. That should prevent mobile users to run up a bill of hundreds of Euros.

I try to gather information for the trip now, but we want to keep checking during the trip if there is something else we want to see or we change our route because of bad weather etc.

I didn't expect that Andorra does not participate the EU roaming arrangements (I know Andorra is not in the EU, but it would make life easier for visitors and for citizens of Andorra).

Knowing the situation helps to prepare. But it is a bit more inconvenient. But we won't spend a long time there anyway (have I said that I am looking forward to the visit).

Regards,
Eberhard
You should be able to get your network to set up a limit on non eu countries as back then I could of done that for Andorra.
As I thought the same that the roaming chargers would be ok for there.
Always found my provider Vodafone very helpful so worth a chat with whoever your with.

I had a great night up in the mountains in my cali in Andorra (little campsite sorry can’t remember the name) watching an amazing lightening storm gorgeous place if you get away from petrol/duty free haven!

We turned ours off when we went to La Vella for a night last year and used Cali satnav….not that it’s easy to get lost! Wierd place…

Andorra stupidly expensive for mobile even if you get a local SIM card.

Back