Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Moisture in between rear window double glazing

NRDSRFR

NRDSRFR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,
Wondering if this is typical. I haven’t seen it after a brief search. There is moisture in the rear window and it’s not on the inside... it’s actually between the panes of glass so no way to wipe it away. Is this something that can be remedied without just replacing the glass?

2ef14ef54378096a7e7d7c73d26b9af2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,
Wondering if this is typical. I haven’t seen it after a brief search. There is moisture in the rear window and it’s not on the inside... it’s actually between the panes of glass so no way to wipe it away. Is this something that can be remedied without just replacing the glass?
No, I'm afraid. Will likely happen to ALL double Glazed units eventually.

Will need replacement ...

Deleted.

Mistook the age of vehicle :shocked

Deleted.

Mistook the age of vehicle :shocked

Is 12 years a pretty short lifespan for a window? Seems it...don’t know if that’s a sign of potentially related stuff to watch for?

I guess it doesn’t matter, just need some recommendations on cheap replacement. Is the double pane unique to the Cali or can one be sourced from any T5 of similar vintage?
Thanks

Is 12 years a pretty short lifespan for a window? Seems it...don’t know if that’s a sign of potentially related stuff to watch for?

I guess it doesn’t matter, just need some recommendations on cheap replacement. Is the double pane unique to the Cali or can one be sourced from any T5 of similar vintage?
Thanks

California only I’m afraid

Thanks

I would say not.

My original post was suggesting that as it was relatively new (I read 2014) it may be worth asking VWCS for a contribution, then I put my glasses on ....

Thanks

The Beach and many Oceans have single glazed rear windows cos they optioned the heating element.

Thanks

Standard Domestic Double Glazing fails over time, or as in my case 15 double glazed units failed in the 'Great Storm' as they took the brunt of the wind.
In a vehicle with all that vibration etc: not that surprising. That's why it wasn't on my list when buying.

Ours failed, luckily while still under warranty.
I think your only options are to put up with it or take a deep breath and buy a new replacement.
I wouldn't trust one off eBay, if they have them on there that is.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not sure if it would fit but replace with a single glazed window? Might be cheaper and easier to find s/h.

No, I'm afraid. Will likely happen to ALL double Glazed units eventually.
Only if the seal between the inner and outer glasses is faulty or damaged.

Last edited:
Only if the seal between the inner and outer glasses is faulty or damaged.
Double Glazed units exposed to winds/storms etc: flex and damage the seals - that's life. Cannot see that a Double Glazed unit on a vehicle is much different and then it is also exposed to vibration/potholes etc:.

it is possible to drill holes (glass cutter drill) in the inner glass, blow air through to dry out the moisture and then put bungs in the holes.
This would be a cheap option that would probably need repeat venting over time but if you are intending to pay for a replacement it's worth a try.

This type of method https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remove-c...558487&hash=item285fce43f5:g:aPkAAOSweW5VM~ta
Is the glass used in the Automotive industry the same as that used in Domestic.
Used this method on 2 units. 1 never cleared and the other remained clear for about 18 months.

It´s tempered glass so there´s no chance of drilling it.
There was a post a while ago about the rear screen breaking
into 100000´s of pieces but only on one side of the double
glased unit.

Will need replacement ...

Yes, the rear window on my recently acquired 08 SE is internally fogged, as became the window on my previous 08 SE in 2010 when replaced under warranty.
Only trouble is, these are apparently on backorder with no estimated date of supply!

Putting up with it at the moment but it is bad with the sun on the back scrren.
The off side rear window has gone too.
Retro fit heated rear screen? I wonder if the wiring is there already.
I wonder how many are affected.

it is possible to drill holes (glass cutter drill) in the inner glass, blow air through to dry out the moisture and then put bungs in the holes.
This would be a cheap option that would probably need repeat venting over time but if you are intending to pay for a replacement it's worth a try.

This type of method https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remove-c...558487&hash=item285fce43f5:g:aPkAAOSweW5VM~ta

House glass isn't normally toughened. The cali glass will be & if you try drilling the inner pane you will soon have a single glazed window - problem solved:D

I believe the normal repair route is to wait till it gets broken by a flying stone & just pay the excess on you car windscreen cover.

I believe the normal repair route is to wait till it gets broken by a flying stone & just pay the excess on you car windscreen cover.

will need to check rear windscreen cover. Perhaps I can just say I was driving 50mph in reverse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I managed to smash my rear window-just the outside pane though ! Reversed into a car park and there was a bit of rebar sticking out the wall painted black. Was going back and suddenly Bang !
Anyway, VW firstly tried to replace with a single glazed pane then when I eventually got it back they had scratched the tailgate so badly I refused to collect the van and told them to sort it out. Which they eventually did but be warned the glass goes down the inside of the trim so you need to take the whole lot apart. They also have to order in the rear window so it takes some time