Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

More on leisure battery drain

Larkrise

Larkrise

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have noticed that the leisure batteries seem to be discharging more quickly recently (van is nearly one year old, and it is winter, so battery performance will be lower I guess). Last night I parked the van and the control panel showed 100% charged. I switched off the control panel, there nothing in the inverter socket, fridge not on etc- can't think of anything on and yet 12 hours later it is showing battery level at 70%. Any clues what might be going on?

Hi

I have exactly the same issue. One year old, occasional low battery reading even with everything switched off. I tend to notice it is happening when it is cold because I nip out to switch on the auxiliary heater.

I'm also looking for clues...

Cheers
Mark

If it's cold against freezing themp. starterbattery wil lose almost 50% capacity just becouse the cold...without anything else using battery.

Last edited:
So would it be true to say that all Cali owners are experiencing a drop of 100% to 70% overnight with everything off on cold (but only down to about freezing) nights?

You can set the unit on the function that shows the amp. It uses , it should be 0,... When no power used i think .
There was a tread already about the amp. I think

Yes, you are right about the other thread and the control unit displays 0.2A (which others have suggested is probably the minimum it can show) and 12.3v, but for the sake of this test I have switched the control panel off. So the question is: in cold weather does everyone's display show battery at 70% or worse after a cold ( but not extremely cold) night?

My batterys show 12.9 volts and 100% after sitting for 1 week on our drive, and the weather has been cold this week, These are 2 new AGM batterys ,
But if you say yours are dropping 30% over night would make me think there days are over, how old are they,

Just less than one year old... collected the vehicle new late March last year...

He says in first post , nearly one year old...( he beat me on fast reply;))
Seems strange but could well be a normal thing...

So the question is: in cold weather does everyone's display show battery at 70% or worse after a cold ( but not extremely cold) night?
No!
With panel off, my leisure batteries stay at 100% (at least 12.6v) for 3 days & are still at 80% (12.4v) after 30 days.

I found if I remove the inverter fuse, it stays at 100% for 10 days...
(Why the difference?)
All with overnight temperatures around freezing.

In all cases, the panel shows zero discharge during the short time I have it on to check.

I will try to add some charts.

Just less than one year old... collected the vehicle new late March last year...

So less than a year old,
I would go to you dealer and get them to investigate ,
I wouldn't be happy with a 30% drop in a week, let alone over night,
you may just have one bad battery, but that will drain the good battery to the same voltage of defective one.
At ÂŁ175 each, you don't want to be paying for them out of your own pocket.

Back to the dealer? That would be a whole load of new learning for my local van centre!

No!
With panel off, my leisure batteries stay at 100% (at least 12.6v) for 3 days & are still at 80% (12.4v) after 30 days.

I found if I remove the inverter fuse, it stays at 100% for 10 days...
(Why the difference?)
All with overnight temperatures around freezing.

In all cases, the panel shows zero discharge during the short time I have it on to check.

I will try to add some charts.

Well its the same as if you turn off a battery charger but leave it connected, it will drain the battery,
Same with the inverter,

Just went out and mine says 100% 0.0a 12,6v , nearly three years old
Not drove it for three weeks...( bicycle to work and wife's car for shopping:thumb)
But it sits in a garage so no low themp. and i plug it in every weekend for a night.( now five days ago)
It is a strange thing...

Where is the inverter fuse located I will make a note of that please?

Well its the same as if you turn off a battery charger but leave it connected, it will drain the battery,
Same with the inverter,
Did also read somewhere the inverter uses a very litlle battery

Back to the dealer? That would be a whole load of new learning for my local van centre!

It should be no problem to any VW diagnostic tech, It's basic text book page 1 electrics for a trained tech,

Yeah , but if they are not familiar with a Cali , it could be you have to point them the location of the lesiure bats...not good to start from

Same with the inverter,
The inverter has a switch so it is not live when not used.
Normally the switch is incorporated in the 240v socket, so the inverter is live whenever you put a plug in, but not otherwise.
Mine has been modified with a manual switch, so it is live when switched on (0.2A on panel) but not live when switched off (0A on panel).

When the inverter is live, battery life is very short.
(Mine was down to 50% after 9 days).

Oh well, just put all the bedding etc back after replacement of faulty charger control unit! But guess I am doing public service to all those in our area getting the local van centre up to speed.

Yeah , but if they are not familiar with a Cali , it could be you have to point them the location of the lesiure bats...not good to start from
I understand what you are saying but some faith will have to be given, Maybe sound them out would be the first port of call,for larkrise,
Not all techs are bad,
At our HONDA dealer we have a customer that does a 180 mile round trip for me to service/mot her car,
That's a nice feeling that a customer trusts your judgment ,

Yes, you are right, they have been very much wanting to get things right from my so far very limited experience. Easy to be dismissive...

Where is the inverter fuse located I will make a note of that please?
On my 2013 LHD Cali, the inverter fuse is SF7 under the driver's seat (LHD...).
Seemingly fuse locations can vary!
fuses_zpscseduzse.jpg