Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mould in camper

B

BlueCalifornia

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I left a book on the floor behind the driver seat on the carpet for a couple of weeks, which I removed today. The bottom inch was completely covered in mould. Also there was some water in two trays below the sink / stove.

The California T5 is parked outside, but we use in on regular basis.

Yes, it has been rainy and periods with low temperatures and some snow, so high humidity. But still, my car doesn't show any signs of mould? Why does the camper?

I'm afraid, there will be more hidden places in the camper that have mould.

Does anybody have experience with this or advice how to prevent it or clean it?

I left a book on the floor behind the driver seat on the carpet for a couple of weeks, which I removed today. The bottom inch was completely covered in mould. Also there was some water in two trays below the sink / stove.

The California T5 is parked outside, but we use in on regular basis.

Yes, it has been rainy and periods with low temperatures and some snow, so high humidity. But still, my car doesn't show any signs of mould? Why does the camper?

I'm afraid, there will be more hidden places in the camper that have mould.

Does anybody have experience with this or advice how to prevent it or clean it?
When you say “ trays” do you mean the kitchen shelves/ cutlery tray?

If so then there is a high chance you have a leaking kitchen sliding window.

Thanks for the response. By trays I indeed meant the kitchen shelves. Have been monitoring it a bit, but can't find any leakages.

Will try to put a passive or active dehumidifer in the van, guess that a lower humidity should at least lower the risk for mould.

Apparently nobody else so far how has experienced this issue...

Kill mould with White distilled vinegar, (5% acidity), spray it on, let it rest for half an hour, wipe it off with clean paper towel and dry the area Fully.
the acidity in the vinegar kills the mould and spores etc.
to prevent mould keep areas clean and dry (mould loves damp environment and can be problematic to get rid of once established)

Well - i put some cloths on top of the grey water tank and they were soaked in a day. And again some water in the cabinets and floor behind the driver. So I think it is quite clear now indeed there is a leakage from the sidewindow. But no clue to solve it.

I"m afraid this has been going on for several months already, but we didn't know. Most of the water goes directly behind the grey water tank and I guess ends up somewhere at the bottom? I'm really concerned that all that water down there has resulted on other problems / mould and has done some damage.

Any suggestions what to do and what invisible damage it could have done already?

20230119_083115.jpg

20230121_154950.jpg

Well - i put some cloths on top of the grey water tank and they were soaked in a day. And again some water in the cabinets and floor behind the driver. So I think it is quite clear now indeed there is a leakage from the sidewindow. But no clue to solve it.

I"m afraid this has been going on for several months already, but we didn't know. Most of the water goes directly behind the grey water tank and I guess ends up somewhere at the bottom? I'm really concerned that all that water down there has resulted on other problems / mould and has done some damage.

Any suggestions what to do and what invisible damage it could have done already?

View attachment 104295

View attachment 104296
Quick cure, tape all edges of the sliding window to stop water getting in.
Use a Dehumidifier, either electrical or Disposable to dry out vehicle.

Longterm
1.Replace whole window + sliding window, either OEM or 3rd party.
2. Replace whole window with a Non-sliding window.
3. Clean rubber seal and grease with silicon.

Some reading.

View attachment 104295

View attachment 104296
If you search the forum there are lots of posts and information on the dreaded window leaks. Basically it’s due to an inherent design fault with the integral drains that are in the plastic frame. Try searching ”window leaks”.

If you search the forum there are lots of posts and information on the dreaded window leaks. Basically it’s due to an inherent design fault with the integral drains that are in the plastic frame. Try searching ”window leaks”.
My camper had mold when purchased.Full valet with white vinegar .Windows leak3d like yours and many others. Repaired with a pipe and run into waste tank.The design is not adequate in my opinion. Also the sill will rott if not dried out and treated .Mine has been replaced.Hope this helps.

20221122_194756.jpg

20221122_194744.jpg

20221122_194735.jpg

IMG-20221122-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20221122-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20221122-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20221122-WA0007.jpeg

IMG-20221122-WA0001.jpeg

Thanks a lot for the responses. In the end I decided to visit the garage and had the window replaced, because they said it was not sealing off properly anymore and was a bit bent over time, so i got a newer version with 2 (?) drains.

However, there was unfortunately already a lot more water below the floor than I expected. Apparently this has been going on longer than I realized.

Also the carpet below the front seats was quite wet. So they will remove this and dry it out. However, i'm quite concerned with the wet space below the main floor now. There is also some kind of insulation foam there that was completely wet. Not that easy to dry out, because there is no / limited air flow there. The garage suggested to just try to dry it out as good as possible, for instance by leaving the heater on for a day. I'm afraid though that since this has been going on for some time already, that there is also mould below the floor etc. But removing the complete floor just to check if that's is the case is a huge task right? So not sure what best to do.

Thanks a lot for the responses. In the end I decided to visit the garage and had the window replaced, because they said it was not sealing off properly anymore and was a bit bent over time, so i got a newer version with 2 (?) drains.

However, there was unfortunately already a lot more water below the floor than I expected. Apparently this has been going on longer than I realized.

Also the carpet below the front seats was quite wet. So they will remove this and dry it out. However, i'm quite concerned with the wet space below the main floor now. There is also some kind of insulation foam there that was completely wet. Not that easy to dry out, because there is no / limited air flow there. The garage suggested to just try to dry it out as good as possible, for instance by leaving the heater on for a day. I'm afraid though that since this has been going on for some time already, that there is also mould below the floor etc. But removing the complete floor just to check if that's is the case is a huge task right? So not sure what best to do.

This thread may answer some of your questions https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fixing-my-footwell-leak.46589/page-3
A dehumidifier seems to be required.

You have 2 options.
1. Dismantle the interior to check and dry out.
2. Electrically powered Dehumidifier, bought or hired and run inside until water collected/24hrs is minimal for at least 2 or 3 days. Because it is still winter the vehicle will need to be warmed to at least 10c for the dehumidifier to work efficiently. This can be done using the Parking Heater or running an electric fan heater with thermostat.
Mold spores germinate in damp conditions. The liklihood of mould spores getting under the floor to germinate are slim, but even so, when dried out they stop growing and will no longer be a problem. It might take 2 weeks or more to thoroughly dry out.

The floor Board panel will likely swell from significant water ingress which will become apparent over a period of time.
has the dealer offered to replace the floor panel (I.e. strip the van ) ?

Back