Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

must have's

ElsJan

ElsJan

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi everybody, I will soon order (in Belgium) a new T6 Beach and I sometimes get mildly dizzy looking at the configurator & possible options. So I wonder: what is your single, n° 1 must-have factory option ? And why ? Can be anything - from the paint colour to the suspension type. I'm really curious, thanks in advance !
(my apologies if this or a similar thread already exists, thanks for pointing me in the right direction !)

A soon-to-be-owner...

Not strictly an option but top of my list would be the (admittedly expensive) DSG gearbox. Having had both, the auto transforms the vehicle and makes it feel much lighter and more spritely.

Edit: corrected my ludicrous spelling!

Last edited:
A torch. A real bargain at £61!

Actually, I agree with the above comment about the automatic gearbox. Otherwise, the prices of options and after-market accessories seem very expensive for the benefit gained.

We own an Ocean, which comes with the heater as standard, but I do hear the parking heater mentioned often as the Beach number one Must Have. Both for comfort while you own the van and as a must have for selling it on later. I'm sure Beach owners will chip in...
Def the heater!
After that I'd choose the lights in the tailgate and pop top (comfort lighting I think it's called).

Not the comfort seats! (Which removes the swivel feature on the front seats - without swivel the van loses so much flexibility)

must haves ... the heater and LEDs ..... then as many as the options you can afford

Hi everybody, I will soon order (in Belgium) a new T6 Beach and I sometimes get mildly dizzy looking at the configurator & possible options. So I wonder: what is your single, n° 1 must-have factory option ? And why ? Can be anything - from the paint colour to the suspension type. I'm really curious, thanks in advance !
(my apologies if this or a similar thread already exists, thanks for pointing me in the right direction !)

A soon-to-be-owner...
Parking Heater. It will transform your use of the vehicle.

Comfort Dash upgrade on the Beach gives you the same dash as the Ocean, and the 3-zone climatic air conditioning.

If the LED lights are too pricey, the Exterior Pack upgrades to the twin headlights + fogs (plus a few other bits).

Agree with DSG, but add the Adaptive Cruise Control for the complete experience - awesome combination.

Parking heater - yes.

Comfort Dash upgrade on the Beach gives you the same dash as the Ocean, and the 3-zone climatic air conditioning.

If the LED lights are too pricey, the Exterior Pack upgrades to the twin headlights + fogs (plus a few other bits).

Agree with DSG, but add the Adaptive Cruise Control for the complete experience - awesome combination.

Parking heater - yes.
Allot of people love the heater, where exactly is it located? I'm getting a Kombi converted and was told I can't have the heater as they take it out to make room for the units- maybe they mean the rear vents.

LED Headlights, DSG in combination with ACC, Camper Lights package....

Ask a question like this and you will get a lot of different replies with some very different priorities! ;)

The Ocean obviously comes with many more goodies than the Beach. Neither van is cheap but you're not going to restrict yourself to one option.

Not sure if the Beach still comes with Cruise as standard but I'd want that first and a must have regardless is the awning. Then parking sensors and the MFSW as cheaper options. If you cycle a towball for a bike rack is desirable.

At the pricey end then DSG is nice and a heater handy if you don't just summer camp but neither essential.

That's all you really need IMHO - keep the Beach simple or go up to the Coast or Ocean.

Ask a question like this and you will get a lot of different replies with some very different priorities!
Some time ago I calculated that there are some 4,628,000,000,000,000,000 possible combinations of Beach options:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t6-vw-california-delays.12655/page-50#post-171805
This is almost certainly an over-estimate as some options are dependent on other options, but it will give the OP some idea of the vast array of bewildering choices.

If re-ordering, top of my list would be 3 seat bench (free option) and Adaptive Cruise Control.

The parking heater I could live without (though my wife couldn't), I'd just wear an extra sweater.

Climatronic is good if carrying more than two people.

The parking sensors are excellent - the rear camera unnecessary with such good sensors.

The multi-function steering wheel is a great luxury, but does not really add functionality.

My beach has the following that were I believe options but it was a demo:

Extra opening rear window (usually only one on standard which is odd to me but apparently true?)
Privacy glass, rarely see one with clear glass to be fair but some have tinted themselves afterwards. Keeps the van cooler and makes it harder to see in.
Reversing sensors camera is a nice to have but overkill for me, reversing sensors are great especially if you arent used to a bigger vehicle.
Satnav/DAB
Cavascal alloys

I think cruise is standard part of bluemotion but Im not sure on the T6.

I fitted a parking heater afterwards, I'd prefer factory but wasn't possible as the van was a demo.

Thanks for the info so far ! Parking heater keeps popping up, as does cruise control & automatic gearbox. Also, I'm learning a few things I will have to look in to: which windows actually open, what standard interior lighting is provided, 3 seat bench is an option,...
And maybe I should start a new thread - "Which option do you regret having spend a single penny on" ;)
Thanks again & keep the suggestions coming !

Allot of people love the heater, where exactly is it located? I'm getting a Kombi converted and was told I can't have the heater as they take it out to make room for the units- maybe they mean the rear vents.
On the California it is fitted externally below the UK Drivers seat. Cabin air is taken through a vent in the Drivers door footwell and returns via vents in the B pillar behind the drivers door.

Plenty of converters fit the same heater but using different vents, taking air from under the drivers seat and returning it via vents at the back of the drivers seat. It can be done and is done by many Conversion companies. I would question the capability of the company you are using.
My son has a T5 conversion from Dirty Weekenders fitted with the same heater as mine in my California, just different vents.

The factory fitted heater is located under the driver's side, with air taken in from a vent by the step, blowing out of two vents in the pillar at floor level. Cali's have sliding door on the driver's side, solid on passenger side, with units on that side; I'm guessing your conversion will be kitchen units driver's side, hence the potential conflict.

Oh, I forgot the parking sensors + reversing camera!
As much as I like having a reversing camera, I cannot regard it as a 'must have'. The parking sensors are excellent, and do a brilliant job telling you what is behind. The reversing camera is nothing more than the icing on the cake.

Never having had a reversing camera to me it was a luxury. I have to say that the longer I have it the more I would miss it.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Never having had a reversing camera to me it was a luxury. I have to say that the longer I have it the more I would miss it.

It didn't stop me reversing my lowered bike rack into a barn door on Monday :headbang.

Parking sensors were flashing orange not red, and the camera was showing all clear behind. I can't help but wonder if I had been relying on the rear view mirror and looking over my shoulder I would have avoided humiliating myself in front of my aunt and uncle.

Fortunately the trio of my bike rack, the boys' bikes and my ancient relatives' barn door escaped unharmed - only my pride was afflicted.

Mike

Same here and you never have get out to make sure you are either in the space or you are over hanging a pavement.

As much as I like having a reversing camera, I cannot regard it as a 'must have'. The parking sensors are excellent, and do a brilliant job telling you what is behind. The reversing camera is nothing more than the icing on the cake.
Unless of course you use a Tow Bar cycle rack as the Parking Sensors are switched off but the camera still functions and if covers to the bicycles are not fitted, can still be used. Although having said that one forum member managed to damage his VW fitted bike rack whilst depending on the Parking sensors. Don't know if a camera might have prevented that. The extended rack projects further than the Parking sensors "Alert" zone.

Fantastic for towing- so easy to line up ball with hitch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although having said that one forum member managed to damage his VW fitted bike rack whilst depending on the Parking sensors. Don't know if a camera might have prevented that. The extended rack projects further than the Parking sensors "Alert" zone.

You can add me to that list of plonkers - reversing in a forest car park in Verdun (luckily in the last few days of a month trip) - a tree was the assailant that jumped out on me and luckily my son's front wheel took the force rather than the rack and tailgate. ;)

Back