Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My Grand California 600 weight

How are you getting on with your GC are pleased with it?
Brilliant to drive.
Seats more comfortable than an Ocean - whilst they look the same, the lumbar support goes up & down & in. & out a lot more, & the whole seat is hight adjustable.
Handbrake fantastic- no need to drop it to swivel the seats.
Parking - we've just done a week by St Ives & didn't have any problems, being a 600 its no longer than an ocean with a bike rack & only a couple of inches wider, so fits in a supermarket bay with probably a 2 ft overhang at one end.
Stereo - crap, no rear speakers at all
Heating / aircon, fine in the front crap in the back & no rear opening windows.
Front passenger space much much better than a T6.1
Rear bench, if an ocean is 8 out of 10, the GC is 1 or 2 very uncomfortable
Rear Bed excellent - but getting in & out requires more acrobatics than the roof bed in an Ocean.
Roof bed, our 12 year old hates it & would rather sleep on the fully reclined front passenger seat.
The dog - hates both beds as she cant jump onto either, at home she normally sleeps at the foot of someones bed.
Kitchen - surprisingly I would rate this as miles better than the Ocean, being able to stand up straight looking out with the door open is fantastic.
Heating - electric heating on hookup is brilliant - silent with heat distributed evenly round the van.
Hot water - again on hookup I had forgotten how good it was to have near limitless supplies of hot water on tap.
Toilet - great to have but a bit of a squeeze
Shower - we are going to have to be desperate to attempt a shower in there there's no room!

Biggest hate - there's no where to keep dinner plates - they won't fit in the overhead lockers or the small kitchen drawers. We use a plastic storage tub that sits under the bed.
Actually i'll change that, its the horrible plastic gear selector from the most basic transporter - give me the leather & metal trimmed one off an Ocean please!

Biggest like - surprisingly, its how quiet it is at night. I used to sleep in the pop top so being inside downstairs means its so much better insulated noise wise. With also not needing a drive away awning that invariably flapped it is so much better.

The whole van is actually very good with some very clever little touches like the kitchen worktop extensions & the SOG system on the toilet, but with a little more thought / design changes it could be really special. Theres tonnes of storage space but its a nightmare to get to. The overhead lockers are an impractical shape - would be far better if they were just on one side but twice the size.

Sorry for the ramble but you did ask!

Great review.
The storage and solutions will get better everytime you use it.
Not sure if it’s possible in GC but I store plates ridge monkeys at an angle in drawer. Have things there to wedge it all in place, maybe worth a try.

I’ve heard a few people put a dog bed under the rear bed and remove the access between boot area and kitchen (again don’t know if it’s possible in a GC) thought it was a clever idea.
33FF13E5-44C4-4CDB-A0D5-424C11723A70.jpeg33FF13E5-44C4-4CDB-A0D5-424C11723A70.jpeg

Back