Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My heated windscreen does not work - wiring diagram anyone?

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello,

My heated front windscreen on my T6 Ocean is not working.

The push button lights up but the screen is not heating.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram, in order that I can understand the circuitry please?

Is there a relay in the circuit?

Where are the physical electrical connections made to the windscreen?

Is this something that can be diagnosed and tested via a vcds diagnostic tool?

Many thanks

There are 2 30A fuses and a relay in the engine bay fuse box. Each half is heated separately.
Has the screen ever been replaced?
Diagram attached.

Attachments

• Circuit_Diagrams_Heated_Windscreen.pdf
    153.5 KB · Views: 49
There are 2 30A fuses and a relay in the engine bay fuse box. Each half is heated separately.
Has the screen ever been replaced?
Diagram attached.
Many thanks for this Loz,

I bought the van as a used vehicle, so do not have all the history.

The windscreen looks to be original VAG unit.

Do you know where the electrical connections to the windscreen are made please?

I'll then be able to put a multimeter on the connections.

Your Cali is still under VW warranty, let them sort it??

Your Cali is still under VW warranty, let them sort it??
Yes this is my ultimate intent, but will waste a day of my time. So if something simple, I'd look to fix myself. Of course, I will not do anything that is liable to affect the warranty claim.

Does the heated front windscreen works at all time (when switched on offcoarse) or only below certain themp. ? Is there a thermostat or timer involved ? Worth checking ...

Last edited:
Does the heated front windscreen works at all time (when switched on offcoarse) or only below certain themp. ? Is there a thermostat or timer involved ? Worth checking ...
Good point. I've just fetched everything out of the van to find my vw user manual.

It simply says Press the button to switch on/off.

Also says that windscreen heating is switched off automatically depending on outside temperature or after 10 minutes at the latest.

And says, the windscreen heating will switch off automatically when one of the following conditions applies:
1.After the engine is switched off.
2.If the vehicles connected load is too high.
3.Malfunctions in the air conditioning system.
4.After the time specified has elapsed.

I'll plug my vcds diagnostics in tomorrow and see if I can interrogate the system.

I'll also check the 2x 30Amp fuses and the relay.

Quick update...

I took my Ocean to the Birmingham VW Van Centre today.

I'm pleased to say that the heated windscreen is now fully functional.

It was discovered that the screen had been replaced with a genuine VW screen, but one of the sets of electrical connections was not connected.

It meant that the fix was not covered by warranty, and the panels etc under the windscreen had to be removed/replaced. I did not mind having to pay for 1 hour engineer time to get this resolved.

The work is now covered by a separate warranty.

Again, many thanks for all the suggestions. I am a little wiser on how it works, and I now know how to access fuses.

Thanks for the update, I did suspect that and was why I asked if the screen had been replaced..

Thanks for the update, I did suspect that and was why I asked if the screen had been replaced..
Loz, you have been a great help with this.

Yes you did.

When I spotted that the windscreen was a genuine VW item, I assumed that it must have been original.

I guess it might have been replaced at another VW centre?

I'm just very pleased to know that apart from the connections being loose, there is nothing wrong with the system.

Roll on the frost now, so that I can give it a go.

Many thanks

Reactions: Loz
Back