Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My sister's new 2019 MY California Ocean - thoughts and observations

I pull the top bed down ensure the vents are zipped up, make sure the side door and or drivers door is open then lower on the button until it goes Bing, Bing, Bing or is that four binges or is it a bong?

I then keep lowering a tad more, step out of the van have a walk round. If all the canvas is where it should be I continue lowering I might get out again dependent on the wind, or get our lass to keep a beady on it. I keep one finger on the button and gather the canvas with the other hand pulling it towards me as the roof lowers.

This would not be possible if the shutter were not fully open, it would be like keyhole surgery.

I must say the new canvas and ribs on the MY19 front opening helps, as there's something horizontal to hold onto.
I get the roof nearly closed fold the canvas neatly then complete the action. I then square everything up, tuck it in above the shutter track and slide the shutter closed. The bulk of the new design makes the shutter a tighter fit so unlike my previous vans does not rattle open.

This is my method and will continue to use it. It works for me. Three vans now and I have never trapped the canvas. Fingers crossed.

The bulk of the new design makes the shutter a tighter fit so unlike my previous vans does not rattle open.

Do you have a Brandrup Iso-top IV liner fitted? Just wondering if it is still possible to fit an Iso-top with the new canvas design, given the extra bulk?

I appreciate you cannot access the new drop down window with the current Iso-top design.

Do you have a Brandrup Iso-top IV liner fitted? Just wondering if it is still possible to fit an Iso-top with the new canvas design, given the extra bulk?

I appreciate you cannot access the new drop down window with the current Iso-top design.
No I don't have any extras fitted to the pop-top.

I have no idea why people are walking around the van to look at the canvas...???
If you stick your head up there as it’s coming down, you can see from inside if the canvas is folding as it should.

I have no idea why people are walking around the van to look at the canvas...???
If you stick your head up there as it’s coming down, you can see from inside if the canvas is folding as it should.
The rear of my canvas on one side sometimes pops out, annoying as you can only push it in from outside but as its a beach you can't leave it halfway down. So its a two person job lol can't always tell from inside though if its dark.

The rear of my canvas on one side sometimes pops out, annoying as you can only push it in from outside but as its a beach you can't leave it halfway down. So its a two person job lol can't always tell from inside though if its dark.
Come, come, I thought the Beach was so much easier than the Ocean/SE. ;);)

Yes I had a similar issue after some damage on one side. There was a quick double jerk technique I developed to get round it...
Thinking about it, possibly why I can’t understand the fuss of walking around the van being an Ex Beach owner.
@WelshGas, it’s definitely an easier roof system to live with.
Even now i still prefer the simplicity of the Beach roof over the Oceans.

Because that's the way I and some others like to do it, as you like to do it your way, all good.

I agree this is a good method but now I have an inner roof liner it is not possible to see what the roof canvas is doing so have to resort to external checks.

I pull the top bed down ensure the vents are zipped up, make sure the side door and or drivers door is open then lower on the button until it goes Bing, Bing, Bing or is that four binges or is it a bong?

I then keep lowering a tad more, step out of the van have a walk round. If all the canvas is where it should be I continue lowering I might get out again dependent on the wind, or get our lass to keep a beady on it. I keep one finger on the button and gather the canvas with the other hand pulling it towards me as the roof lowers.

This would not be possible if the shutter were not fully open, it would be like keyhole surgery.

I must say the new canvas and ribs on the MY19 front opening helps, as there's something horizontal to hold onto.
I get the roof nearly closed fold the canvas neatly then complete the action. I then square everything up, tuck it in above the shutter track and slide the shutter closed. The bulk of the new design makes the shutter a tighter fit so unlike my previous vans does not rattle open.

This is my method and will continue to use it. It works for me. Three vans now and I have never trapped the canvas. Fingers crossed.
I notice you zip the vents closed. Don’t know why but I always leave mine open. Does it matter? Is there a correct way they recommend?

Back