Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My spare wheel!!!

Martin said:
Yes, I think it is around £8 off for VIP members, just email him with your username.
Oh that's a bit cheaper! Does that come with the steel casing and warning stickers too?

With the standard VW locking bolt you can put grips on and squash the collar and remove it
With a bit of force. The locking device in the picture stops you getting grips on the locking bolt
Making it very difficult to remove.

Bought one of these today at Stanford Hall.... Pretty serious piece of kit.

I doubt even a serious thief would bother, with so many unprotected wheels to choose from.

Hi All,

Like others, I had my spare wheel stolen. I have bought the Spare Safe red locking kit, which includes the standard VW locking bolt. This device is well designed and will prevent crushing the locking bolt, but it could be compromised if a thief had the appropriate VW locking bolt adaptor. The VW locking bolt appears to be a simple 3 hole device. Does anyone know if all the holes are the same meaning that one adaptor would fit all VW locking bolts? If so, any thief could easily buy one. Hopefully, the VW locking bolt hole pattern has many variations, but I have not seen any information to re-assure me. If the hole pattern is variable, does anyone know how many variations there are?

Dylan said:
Hi All,

Like others, I had my spare wheel stolen. I have bought the Spare Safe red locking kit, which includes the standard VW locking bolt. This device is well designed and will prevent crushing the locking bolt, but it could be compromised if a thief had the appropriate VW locking bolt adaptor. The VW locking bolt appears to be a simple 3 hole device. Does anyone know if all the holes are the same meaning that one adaptor would fit all VW locking bolts? If so, any thief could easily buy one. Hopefully, the VW locking bolt hole pattern has many variations, but I have not seen any information to re-assure me. If the hole pattern is variable, does anyone know how many variations there are?

Hi Dylan

My security bolt was supplied with a card showing a three digit pattern number in case I lose the bolt, therefore I feel confident that their are several different keys at least.

I hope this puts your mind at rest!!

Thanks

James

Thanks everyone, seems to be a very common problem. I might go for the scabby wheel option with a just legal tyre - no one would be interested in that hopefully.

Sorry to hear about this, it seems to be happening a fair bit.

A thick brush and a pot of white paint! Then paint the reg number onto the barely legal spare tyre which is attached to a dented old steel rim, sad to say but the scumbags will find ways to get to anything if they want to get it, but if they do get it at least it would be kind of useless to them!

Dylan said:
Hi All,

The locking bolt keys are different. Distance between pin centers varies as does the wall thickness.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I had my spare wheel stolen which had the locking nut attached, when I got the new locking nut from VW the stud pattern was the same as the one stolen so I am not convinced they are different at all.

I dont think it makles any difference as it appears you can use grips to remove the locking nut by getting them really tight on the bolthead. Thats why this protective device has a collar to eliminate the possibility of getting the grips onto the bolthead.I think thats correct.

Pollychops said:
I dont think it makles any difference as it appears you can use grips to remove the locking nut by getting them really tight on the bolthead. Thats why this protective device has a collar to eliminate the possibility of getting the grips onto the bolthead.I think thats correct.

Yes that's correct.

Andy said:
Pollychops said:

Yes that's correct.

Andy,

I am also correct in thinking they could hacksaw through the bolt itself? Thats why the protective device covers the thread of the bolt?

Thanks

Similar tale of woe.
Punctured recently, RAC guy went to replace with spare, spare gone!
Not going to replace as RAC carry a spare wheel which you can keep for a couple of days before posting back to them, seems the most sensible solution as even the 'locking bolts' appear to be useless.

If going abroad will consider buying a cheap spare and carrying it hidden in van.

Moral of tale - check your spare is there, take if off and consider your options.

Just ordered one seems like a reat idea and worth a try.

Anyone know a good source of barely legal tyre on wheel (steel) that we could carry?

Actually, what I think would be good would be a legal s-h tyre to put on the steel spare wheel and save the new tyre for when a replacement is needed. I guess many tyre places might have something suitable.

Pollychops said:
Andy said:
Pollychops said:

Yes that's correct.

Andy,

I am also correct in thinking they could hacksaw through the bolt itself? Thats why the protective device covers the thread of the bolt?

Thanks

Spare safe does not cover thread. There is some sort of slieve over thread as standard. Make yours difficult to steel & thief goes to easier one with no security.