Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My spare wheel!!!

J

jonvon999

VIP Member
Argh nightmare my van is 4 days old and someone has stolen my spare wheel!!! What a hopeless design VW... :(:(:(

Very frustrating.

If only VW didn't make it so easy for them.

jonvon999 said:
Argh nightmare my van is 4 days old and someone has stolen my spare wheel!!! What a hopeless design VW... :(:(:(

Shocking really. Just the start you didn't need.

jonvon999 said:

What size? I have loads in stock of varying ages and mileage.

This is becoming more and more common, all of our rental vans have locking wheel nuts on the spare wheels now :thumb

It's a 17" wheel, 235 wide. I'd have to check the profile
Cheers

How horrible for you. Mine has no lock on spare. Thinking I should invest a 30 quid for a locking nut now. Why are people like that? So mean! :headbang

There are shed loads for sale on eBay which A is handy but B I wonder where on earth, "they" all came from originally :-/

Mine - also a 17" - was stolen a couple of months after I bought my Cali, despite having the VW security bolt fitted. It's shocking how vulnerable the spare is on these vehicles, considering how well known this crime is. I did complain to VW, asking why they didn't incorporate obvious measures such as making the spare only releasable from inside, but didn't get much of a reply beyond the usual "we value your feedback"

Think I'm going to get a lock and chain put on mine somehow and hopefully that will deter any scumbag who has a view to pinching mine ;-)

jonvon999 said:
Hi jonvon999, really bad news and worrying for all Cali owners. This may sound stupid but when we collected ours we didn't check to see if the spare was in the cradle and only looked after a post was put on here when another member has theirs pinched which was four weeks later. Did you check when you collected yours? It may not have been there in the first place. There is a link on here about a bracket that can put thieves off, I think if you search legoland you will find it. It may help for the future. Again sorry to hear your bad news.
Thanks

I think the best protection is to have rather poor shape tyre on ugly steel rim as a spare. You not use it anyway, not likely. That is what I have, no protection, and nobody touched it so far.

Contrary to spare wheel of my Toyota Picnic, a new vehicle, parked only for an hour in remote parking of Cote d''Azur, France in y2000. Wheel had gone, despite the releasing mechanism reachable only from inside. They just twisted the rods and get it out. bastards.

I might just get mine off, and sling it in the back of the van. or maybe they are so desperate they would do a smash n grab, more expense!! Hoping im not in an area renowned for such theft. :headbang :headbang

Mine is coming with 18" alloys I don't think you get a spare wheel rather than a puncture repair kit (foam)and then repaired later at your nearest dealer.

pity we cant rig up 240 volts to the spare wheel. that would stop em!! :D :D

I was going to go for 18" wheels but the dealer couldn't order with both the 18" wheels and the second under seat drawer / storage net option.

How horrid for you. I have 18" bling bling alloys on mine....only had it 6 months when 3 weeks ago I got punctures in both rear tyres on the rims from very large nails !!!! Coincidence??? Of course they could not be repaired so £500 + later.....however also pointed out that the spare is useless as it is 17"....so not sure why I am carrying round such a thief magnet anyway!!!
Zebedee

Why is the 17" useless?

I would have thought it would be ok to use providing the outside tyre diameter matches ok.

The tyre profile has to be the same on all 4 wheels, a 17" spare is not legally not acceptable if your other wheels have a different rim size.

18hunts said:
The tyre profile has to be the same on all 4 wheels, a 17" spare is not legally not acceptable if your other wheels have a different rim size.

Spacesaver spare wheel ? :?:

It's classed as a commercial vehicle in matters concerning these type of vehicle.
Have you seen a van with a space saver? You have to think of the weight/forces that a vehicle like this can produce.

Hi all, just seen this gadget for sale in this months VWt magazine, looks like an easy mod to sort, think I might try one ;-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399226115.976032.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399226201.743708.jpg

Yes, I think it is around £8 off for VIP members, just email him with your username.

Do we know how these toerags are removing the security bolt (when fitted) and if this device is the answer?

If they can remove the security bolt then this item would be no good......would it? I. Think I will look at fitting a strong chain with padlock and security locking bolt....maybe two.