Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My very first post, and it's about battery coding a Yuasa AGM

X

xza

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello everyone

I'm a long time 'lurker' on this forum, with a T5.1 2015/16 Bluemotion 140 ; thanks everyone for the informative posts.

My original 8 year old VW starter battery got very sketchy when on holiday after being dead flat (my fault), and so I had to get a replacement quickly and Halfords had their Christmas offer ...
so after some research, and always coming up with it's a Start Stop so should be an AGM battery, I went with the Yuasa 9115 , same format as Varta F21 / A6 - being an 80Ah / 800CCA AGM. It seems every Start Stop is now AGM? The original VW battery is a bog standard Lead Acid ....

I got it coded by Halfords. Have got home from my trip, to be able to use VCDS and they have coded it:

068 GBC 40291HALFO

This, to me, doesn't seem right at all? The first three digits are meant to be 080 for the Ah - can anyone confirm that? I guess GBC rather than YBX doesn't really matter? Which digit is AGM?

Am I overthinking this? should I just try 080 YBX 1111111111 - anyone know what it really is meant to be?

Thanks

James

Welcome to the forum! Sorry you’ve not yet had any specific answers to your question. It may/ may not assist, but I changed the battery in my wife’s Golf a couple of years ago, the previous one wasn’t taking any charge, but I was oblivious to the battery coding requirement. The car started fine after fitting the new unit, but the dash was a Christmas tree of fault lights! I drove 3 miles my local dealer so I could speak to a technician - by the time I got there all the fault lights were out. I still had a chat, and he told me not to worry, the car just sorts itself out, including the blue motion start stop. They code new batteries, but no problem doing what I’d done. Admittedly it was a lead acid battery not AGM.

Hello everyone

I'm a long time 'lurker' on this forum, with a T5.1 2015/16 Bluemotion 140 ; thanks everyone for the informative posts.

My original 8 year old VW starter battery got very sketchy when on holiday after being dead flat (my fault), and so I had to get a replacement quickly and Halfords had their Christmas offer ...
so after some research, and always coming up with it's a Start Stop so should be an AGM battery, I went with the Yuasa 9115 , same format as Varta F21 / A6 - being an 80Ah / 800CCA AGM. It seems every Start Stop is now AGM? The original VW battery is a bog standard Lead Acid ....

I got it coded by Halfords. Have got home from my trip, to be able to use VCDS and they have coded it:

068 GBC 40291HALFO

This, to me, doesn't seem right at all? The first three digits are meant to be 080 for the Ah - can anyone confirm that? I guess GBC rather than YBX doesn't really matter? Which digit is AGM?

Am I overthinking this? should I just try 080 YBX 1111111111 - anyone know what it really is meant to be?

Thanks

James
Welcome.
It doesn't matter. As long as the serial number is changed to inform the vehicle a new battery is fitted that is all that is required. Then the vehicle will restart the charging profile learning.

Welcome.
It doesn't matter. As long as the serial number is changed to inform the vehicle a new battery is fitted that is all that is required. Then the vehicle will restart the charging profile learning.
Not sure it could learn the difference between AGM and lead acid though so might be worth checking that was correctly changed.

Not sure it could learn the difference between AGM and lead acid though so might be worth checking that was correctly changed.
Apparently it can.

I did send the OP a private message telling him how to change the battery technology. Here is what I sent him.

To change the battery technology go to module 61 then click on coding then long coding helper. Go to byte 2 then bit 4-7 you will see a drop down menu to change battery type. As you will see in the latest versions of VCDS AGM is now listed. Exit long coding helper and save the changes.

This is for T5/T6 as the T6.1 is different as you code the T6.1 battery through module 19 CAN Gateway.

Screenshot 2024-01-01 110141.png

Hello Everyone - thanks for the discussion - this forum is invaluable. I'm going to follow @Alied 's instructions as above with VCDS - but also having a discussion with a garage on Monday what potential impact of mixing standard flooded leisure batteries with AGM potentially is. As the leisure batteries are quite old, I doubt it will matter but AFAIK AGM batteries charge at a slightly different voltage to flooded but I don't know whether there's a regulator from the alternator that will cope with the split for the leisures - is it that sophisticated?

I suspect I am overthinking this ... they are just batteries after all.

Hello Everyone - thanks for the discussion - this forum is invaluable. I'm going to follow @Alied 's instructions as above with VCDS - but also having a discussion with a garage on Monday what potential impact of mixing standard flooded leisure batteries with AGM potentially is. As the leisure batteries are quite old, I doubt it will matter but AFAIK AGM batteries charge at a slightly different voltage to flooded but I don't know whether there's a regulator from the alternator that will cope with the split for the leisures - is it that sophisticated?

I suspect I am overthinking this ... they are just batteries after all.
Your Avatar says you have a T5. Do you have BlueMotion / Stop-Start?
If not it doesn’t matter.

T5.1 Blue Motion with Stop Start. Hence I went for an AGM battery as these are marketed for Stop Start. I still have the original OEM VW battery, which is a pretty standard Varta 72Ah 380/640A DIN flooded - if I went for exact same capacity standard flooded a lot of the choices were labelled 'not for Stop Start' .... pretty confusing TBH. Easiest would be a Varta battery with a VW/BEM number to put into VCDS but I guess that's what main dealers have access to.

Last edited: