Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1,500 miles and 2 months later... A Review

Well, My T6 Beach arrived at the start of April and we have now had 2 months together, racking up 1,500 miles along the way. How has it been? Bl%$dy fantastic! I could not have hoped for the experience so far to be any better than it's been.

The vehicle itself looks great! Acapulco Blue is literally the colour of the sky on a sunny day and, even on the rainy days, it cheers me up to look out of the kitchen window and see it on the drive. The tinted windows and the black wing mirrors, part of the exterior pack, just finish it off nicely. I'd recommend the extra sliding window, too - partly because I like symmetry but also because I like a through draught.

The interior in black looks the business. I love the comfort dash and how car-like it is, I love the multi function steering wheel, I think Apple CarPlay is just spectacular and, most of all, I can't get enough of the driving position. My Audi A6 had seats that adjusted in every which way and the Cali has the most basic adjustments but it just doesn't need any more: it's comfortable for long journeys, it's surprising just how much more relaxing it is to be sat with your legs at 90' & your feet flat on the floor and the view above all the other traffic just finishes it off. I didn't realise that I would be looking down on Land Rovers or Q7s but I am! If there's traffic, I see it long before I arrive at it, which is just brilliant!

The engine is perfectly capable. It's not fast but it's got enough oomph to handle any situation and the DSG 'box is the perfect partner. It's smooth to drive, the engine is much quieter than I expected and the ACC is the ultimate compliment to both the engine and the DSG. To be able to get on the motorway, set the cruise control at 70, choose a safe distance and just let the Cali do all the accelerating and braking has made motorway cruising so much less stressful. I drive everywhere with it on, making me calmer, more legally compliant and safer, because the Cali is watching the safe distance for me at all times. The only downside, I have to admit, is the MPG is still a little lower than I'd hoped. However, I am confident that it will improve and I do think the ACC is helping me get a little more by keeping me slow and the acceleration moderate.

The kids love the back. We have tried so many different layouts: all seats facing forward, the middle seats facing back, one facing each way, both facing backwards with the table mounted on the rails (the favourite and in the photo below) and without the middle seats altogether. The versatility is just stunning - especially as the Cali is shorter than the A6 Avant which it replaced.

To be honest, we've only had one overnight experience in her so far but it was great and everyone slept well. I have a weekend away this coming weekend so am looking forward to testing the comfort mattress for myself (the kids slept on it last time).

The other funny thing is how other people react. It is a magnet for interest - the neighbours have all been and had a look, my clients all want to look at it and people are just a little friendlier on the road. It's odd but fun! I could have sold 3 or 4 Californias so far, I think, but I just direct them to Guy and get on enjoying mine.

Continued in the comments below (ran out of characters)...

Apologies if I have used some of these photos before - I just like looking at them ;)

View attachment 14178

View attachment 14179

View attachment 14180

View attachment 14181

View attachment 14182
I bought one in 2014 T5 notched up 42k in 2 years my pride and joy lovely to drive takes a little organizing to sleep me my partner and 3 dogs loads of room my only regret is I didn't have the night heater fitted in factory

Well, My T6 Beach arrived at the start of April and we have now had 2 months together, racking up 1,500 miles along the way. How has it been? Bl%$dy fantastic! I could not have hoped for the experience so far to be any better than it's been.

The vehicle itself looks great! Acapulco Blue is literally the colour of the sky on a sunny day and, even on the rainy days, it cheers me up to look out of the kitchen window and see it on the drive. The tinted windows and the black wing mirrors, part of the exterior pack, just finish it off nicely. I'd recommend the extra sliding window, too - partly because I like symmetry but also because I like a through draught.

The interior in black looks the business. I love the comfort dash and how car-like it is, I love the multi function steering wheel, I think Apple CarPlay is just spectacular and, most of all, I can't get enough of the driving position. My Audi A6 had seats that adjusted in every which way and the Cali has the most basic adjustments but it just doesn't need any more: it's comfortable for long journeys, it's surprising just how much more relaxing it is to be sat with your legs at 90' & your feet flat on the floor and the view above all the other traffic just finishes it off. I didn't realise that I would be looking down on Land Rovers or Q7s but I am! If there's traffic, I see it long before I arrive at it, which is just brilliant!

The engine is perfectly capable. It's not fast but it's got enough oomph to handle any situation and the DSG 'box is the perfect partner. It's smooth to drive, the engine is much quieter than I expected and the ACC is the ultimate compliment to both the engine and the DSG. To be able to get on the motorway, set the cruise control at 70, choose a safe distance and just let the Cali do all the accelerating and braking has made motorway cruising so much less stressful. I drive everywhere with it on, making me calmer, more legally compliant and safer, because the Cali is watching the safe distance for me at all times. The only downside, I have to admit, is the MPG is still a little lower than I'd hoped. However, I am confident that it will improve and I do think the ACC is helping me get a little more by keeping me slow and the acceleration moderate.

The kids love the back. We have tried so many different layouts: all seats facing forward, the middle seats facing back, one facing each way, both facing backwards with the table mounted on the rails (the favourite and in the photo below) and without the middle seats altogether. The versatility is just stunning - especially as the Cali is shorter than the A6 Avant which it replaced.

To be honest, we've only had one overnight experience in her so far but it was great and everyone slept well. I have a weekend away this coming weekend so am looking forward to testing the comfort mattress for myself (the kids slept on it last time).

The other funny thing is how other people react. It is a magnet for interest - the neighbours have all been and had a look, my clients all want to look at it and people are just a little friendlier on the road. It's odd but fun! I could have sold 3 or 4 Californias so far, I think, but I just direct them to Guy and get on enjoying mine.

Continued in the comments below (ran out of characters)...

Apologies if I have used some of these photos before - I just like looking at them ;)

View attachment 14178

View attachment 14179

View attachment 14180

View attachment 14181

View attachment 14182[/QU

Fab to read such a great review. We are STILL AWAITING our Beach, and looks like we won't get it until mid Aug :-( when originally told a lead time that would have given us a June delivery!

Fab to read such a great review. We are STILL AWAITING our Beach, and looks like we won't get it until mid Aug :-( when originally told a lead time that would have given us a June delivery!

• The 17" Cascavel alloys look great - that extra inch does make a difference but I bought them separately as VW charging you nearly £1000 to upgrade is daylight robbery.

Hi Rhyddin,
Hope your still loving your Beach,
I'm wondering if you could help me out here,
We're did you get you 17" Cascavel alloys from ? I've just been quoted £1500 + vat for a 4 alloys from our VW dealer. (Seems a bit steep)
Also, I'm just about to order carpets from California Camping but there's an option regarding floor fixings, Press or Twist Lock, I'm not sure which type the Beach has.
If you could help me out it would be appreciated as our vans been built and should be with us in the next 3 week :)

Press fixings for a new van. You need to declare if you are getting the comfort dash as well (which was only in German when I ordered). God knows why, I presume there must be a slight difference in the centre layout at foot level. Very good carpets though a little high under the the back seat. We find we have to pull the drawers out slightly before pulling the seat forward or the drawers stay put and pull the back covers off. Not much of a hassle though.

".....the rattle was coming from the extending arms hitting the bottom of the casing, internally. Initially, I was thinking of ways to pad it out but Dave suggested that there might be another way and so I got my socket set out and had a go. The two nuts that are at each end of the arms (facing forwards and backwards, not out towards you) work to adjust the height of the arms, it turns out. Tighten the top one and the arm rises."

This is a brilliant resolution!! Thanks Rhyddin & Dave. That rattle has been driving me nuts for months - I even took it in to VW to try to get it sorted under warranty, but they failed to find the cause and I had decided to live with it. Your write-up was brilliant as well, by the way. Many thanks....David.

Hi Rhyddin,
Hope your still loving your Beach,
I'm wondering if you could help me out here,
We're did you get you 17" Cascavel alloys from ? I've just been quoted £1500 + vat for a 4 alloys from our VW dealer. (Seems a bit steep)
Also, I'm just about to order carpets from California Camping but there's an option regarding floor fixings, Press or Twist Lock, I'm not sure which type the Beach has.
If you could help me out it would be appreciated as our vans been built and should be with us in the next 3 week :)
Hi Richy,

I bought my wheels off eBay. A nice fella had just bought a T6 Caravelle and these were the standard wheels. However, he had some 20" wheels that he wanted to fit instead so he got the dealers to swap them, upon delivery, and I bought his unused wheels. I definitely got lucky but wheels come up all the time on eBay.

As for the mats, I only bought mats for the back & boot and got VW to throw in some monster mats for the front so I have no fixings other than the Velcro adhesive on the back.

I'd hang on Matt. We're finding we don't use it. Problem is that the satnav is on my phone and the music is on Jacquie's iPod. If you use AppConnect you cannot Bluetooth to the iPod. Theoretically the iPod can be plugged into USB but there is a bug which means the music jumps when played through USB. It's fine on Bluetooth.

I'm getting the 'jumping' using Spotify on AppConnect also - anyone found a solution to this. I just unplug and immediately plug the the phone back in and it continues playing the track normally but it's frequent and annoying.

Great review @Rhyddin
I have a similar beach (Acapulco blue ,150hp, 3seater , DSG, ACC , comfort dash , interior heating , app connect , awning , 220 volt )
and very similar experience after 1800km .
Only downsides (if there are any) :
No automatic lighting ,I sometimes leave the lights on when i leave the car through the sliding door .. it would seam a low cost to integrate it standard

Last edited:
I have specced a similar Beach. I opted for manual gearbox, Bamboo green and no electric door.

I must say I do like the Acapulco blue and some days I wish I had ordered that, but I haven't seen ours in the flesh yet !

I previously had a caravelle with electric doors, but I hit a problem when offering people lifts etc. often they didn't realise it was electric. They would try and slam the door shut as if it was a standard sliding door. this eventually broke the mechanism with an expensive bill to follow. For that reason I avoided this option.

Nice review tho' , I am expecting ours to arrive sometime in March.

John

Great review, just ordered mine with most options ticked so far, can you advise what " interior light concept" actually is as the dealer seems unsure, do I need it?

Great review, just ordered mine with most options ticked so far, can you advise what " interior light concept" actually is as the dealer seems unsure, do I need it?
Interior light concept is the dimmable lights in the pop top and tailgate.
Definitely worth the money. They come as standard in the ocean. It's one of the only notable upgrades from the t5.
You won't regret spending money on them.

Interior light concept is the dimmable lights in the pop top and tailgate
As stated they are optional on the Beach, standard on the Ocean. We find them particularly good in the pop-top as we generally sleep upstairs. I'm sure that downstairs sleepers will find the tailgate ones great.

As stated they are optional on the Beach, standard on the Ocean. We find them particularly good in the pop-top as we generally sleep upstairs. I'm sure that downstairs sleepers will find the tailgate ones great.
The tailgate Lights aren't so useful inside as your pillows will probably block them in sleeping setup. They're great for loading the boot in the dark / sitting outside underneath the tailgate in the evening.

Anyone have some pictures please?

Lot of money for 5 LED strips but are worth it.

Sorry but all I've got is this one photo of the LED light at the bottom of the pop-top. There are another 2 strips (about 3" long) at the top of the roof and two in the boot.

The 3 lights in the roof are controlled by a button on each side of the opening where you climb up from the cab. You can adjust the brightness but holding the button down. The same applies to the two strips in the boot.

IMG_7762.PNG

Last edited:
Here are a couple of photos of the LED boot lights and the switch

IMG_7767.JPG

IMG_7764.JPG

Guys,
I know this might be slightly off topic, but does anyone else have an intermittent knocking/creeking noise from the drivers side, somewhere between the roof and the top of the drivers door.
I'm not sure if it's the rubber seals on the roof moving and making a creeping noise when the van is moving, but it starting to annoy me :(

Cheers Richy

Guys,
I know this might be slightly off topic, but does anyone else have an intermittent knocking/creeking noise from the drivers side, somewhere between the roof and the top of the drivers door.
I'm not sure if it's the rubber seals on the roof moving and making a creeping noise when the van is moving, but it starting to annoy me :(

Cheers Richy
Not the awning is it? Often sounds like it's the door.

Is the awning easy to come off ?
If it is, I'll take it off once we get some better weather and see if it cures it, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice :thumb

Is the awning easy to come off ?
If it is, I'll take it off once we get some better weather and see if it cures it, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice :thumb
Don't need to take it off to cure it.
Wind out 10-15cm and then wind back in tightly (but not too tightly!!!). If it's the awning then it should sort the rattle/knocking.
:)

Back