Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mysterious Beep

R

Roy Haylett

Guest User
Please can anybody help me I have a 57 plate california and as such I hav no problems with it however very occasionally I am getting a beep from somewhere. Because it is only one little beep and only on occasions, I am unable to find the source of it. As I say everything on my cali is working ok and I have no warning lights or other alarms it's just baffling. It might sound once and I won't hear it again for ages or it might go off again in maybe a few minutes. Any help would be appreciated many thanks.

Please can anybody help me I have a 57 plate california and as such I hav no problems with it however very occasionally I am getting a beep from somewhere. Because it is only one little beep and only on occasions, I am unable to find the source of it. As I say everything on my cali is working ok and I have no warning lights or other alarms it's just baffling. It might sound once and I won't hear it again for ages or it might go off again in maybe a few minutes. Any help would be appreciated many thanks.
Is it just after start up on a frosty morning? Just a thought.

Is it related to anything, like driving , potholes, speed , idling at rest, anything?
Check the Control Panel for any Diagnostic Codes.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.
Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
2. You will get the hidden menu.
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.
4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"
5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear , Take a note of the Error Codes.
6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors
7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!
8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater
5 = 5 = Fresh water
6 = 6 = Outside temperature
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof
1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof
1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"
1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"
1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"
2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off
2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off
2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30
3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox
3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox
3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"
3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"
3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"
4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure
5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure
6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature
6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature
7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

Is it just after start up on a frosty morning? Just a thought.
Does it happen when it's less than 4°C?
Maybe the cold temperature warning signal.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your van?
Mine beeps sometimes whenever i chuck it in the cupboard and the test button gets pressed with the impact of a bump in the road!

You can get a random beep from the radio if you have the Traffic signal enabled and you drive into a poor signal area.

You can get a random beep from the radio if you have the Traffic signal enabled and you drive into a poor signal area.
Also if you're using Google maps as a satnav you get a beep when you're approaching a speed camera.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I thought about the radio etc but I switched it off completely and ther was stil a beep. Wil investigate the codes, thank you for that appreciated. It happens when either stationary or moving, I've got no gadgets as such fitted which is why it's confusing. Many thanks for your replies tho people and happy new year to you.

I thought about the radio etc but I switched it off completely and ther was stil a beep. Wil investigate the codes, thank you for that appreciated. It happens when either stationary or moving, I've got no gadgets as such fitted which is why it's confusing. Many thanks for your replies tho people and happy new year to you.
Is the MI6 tracking you by any chance - any hidden tracker in your van? :cool:

;) :thumb

Happy new Year!

I’ve got a cheap LIDL inside/outside thermometer in the Cali which bleeps when the temperature hits a preset low. Had me scratching my head for ages.

Check that nothing is obstructing the Roof Closure. That’s why I suggested checking the Control Panel for any codes.

Check you roof is properly closed ( which it probably is )
In hot climates when the temperature is raised we get a single faint beep and our display for the roof starts flashing. For ages we were saying " whats that beep"
It never happens in the UK...only when we are abroad in abnormally sustained hot climates.
Scary when it firsts happens but we are now used to it happening and is now just an annoyance and we turn the radio up : )
When investigated it I was told that early cali's ( ours is 2007 ) had sensitive/faulty roof ram sensors.
This was several years ago and my memory is not as good as it was.
Maybe you can find the thread and read what other people have said about it.
I seem to remember that some people had the sensors/rams changed ( damned expensive to rectify for something that affects us personally for 1% of our journeys) and some tried methods to try to mitigate the heat getting to the sensor but probably best look it up yourself as my memory of it may be incorrect or there maybe more updated information.
There is a secondary warning noise for the roof and you will know about it if it goes off as it's not a discrete faint beep and scares the life out of you if going down an autoroute at 60mph. It's time to pull over if that warning sounds and get the straps out.
I'm not an expert and I'm not saying the beep in your cali is the roof sensor for definite just giving you the benefit of what we experienced and an opportunity to check out the available info for yourself should you think it relevant.
All the best.

I had that recently on a Citroen Relay I am furnishing as a camper and it was a low leisure battery and the beep was coming from the inverter. I plugged it into the house mains for the day to recharge everything.

Once again many thanks for your info and input as it is appreciated. It is definitely nothing to do with the roof all is fine. I am looking at the leisure battery theory now after reading ref the Citroën, wil give the batteries a good charge and wil take it from there. Thank you.

Speed warning on mfd? What's it set to

Hi once we left the bonnet slightly open and the van gave a sound out it took us a few miles to source it

I had a similar issue on my T5.2 and it was the roof hydraulic ram sensor causing the beep 'alarm'. There are a few other threads where the same issue was discussed.
The result an expensive repair which involves replacing the wiring loom to the sensor which includes the sensor itself. I have seen others splice the new sensor in but this still involves buying the whole loom and then removing the sensor.

Back