Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Navigation woes

Celia Vanchez

Celia Vanchez

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 199
We are on a trip to Wales and Cornwall and can’t find a good thing about the Nav system. It’s even changed our destination without us seemingly doing it knowingly! Do other users feel as frustrated as us or is it just us? Is there a good video about using it and adjusting settings anyone can recommend?

We are on a trip to Wales and Cornwall and can’t find a good thing about the Nav system. It’s even changed our destination without us seemingly doing it knowingly! Do other users feel as frustrated as us or is it just us? Is there a good video about using it and adjusting settings anyone can recommend?

Waze via carplay is far better.

(….We have a VW / Kenwood / Garmin state of the ark unit in our van, seems dated even when running latest map update.)

Waze via carplay is far better.

(….We have a VW / Kenwood / Garmin state of the ark unit in our van, seems dated even when running latest map update.)
Thank you I’ll try this as didn’t know you could use CarPlay for it.

I also find this frustrating as I want to use the inbuilt sat nav for convenience; I like the countdown to the junction feature and the ability to switch the map to the instrument cluster via the steering wheel buttons while my wife is scrolling through radio stations on the infotainment menu. But it seems like the maps database doesn't include all the minor roads here in Cornwall and Google maps via wireless Android Auto often gives me a better direct or scenic alternative route using roads less travelled. However, if I don't use the usb cable I often get to the destination with a flat phone battery and I am using my mobile data instead of the 3 years free WeConnect data. So, my approach is going to be to use the inbuilt sat nav when using A roads and motorway, when I just need updates on diversions or roadworks ahead and get used to Android Auto for local roads around Cornwall and the like.

PS I think that your issue with suddenly being directed to a new destination is because the screen can easily interpret an intended swipe, to move or zoom the map, as a tap and then direct you to wherever you tapped the map.

I also find this frustrating as I want to use the inbuilt sat nav for convenience; I like the countdown to the junction feature and the ability to switch the map to the instrument cluster via the steering wheel buttons while my wife is scrolling through radio stations on the infotainment menu. But it seems like the maps database doesn't include all the minor roads here in Cornwall and Google maps via wireless Android Auto often gives me a better direct or scenic alternative route using roads less travelled. However, if I don't use the usb cable I often get to the destination with a flat phone battery and I am using my mobile data instead of the 3 years free WeConnect data. So, my approach is going to be to use the inbuilt sat nav when using A roads and motorway, when I just need updates on diversions or roadworks ahead and get used to Android Auto for local roads around Cornwall and the like.

PS I think that your issue with suddenly being directed to a new destination is because the screen can easily interpret an intended swipe, to move or zoom the map, as a tap and then direct you to wherever you tapped the map.
Can you not select the type of route you want?
My older RNS510 will give me 3 alternatives to select and I can select which type of roads I wish to avoid.

Same as the others here - the built-in sat nav is absolute rubbish. Really confusing UI, incredibly sluggish, can’t find most destinations (even searching for Hospital often doesn’t work), confusing map display. I only use it whenever I have no network coverage and didn’t download offline maps in Google Maps. It’s a shame as having the map displayed on the dash in front of you is quite nice.

I typically use (via Car Play)
- Google maps by default because it’s the best for finding places, having opening hours, etc
- Waze for long journeys as it’s the best at warning for speed checks, pot holes and other hazards on the road. Also, you can make your car to look like a hippie flower bus instead of an arrow and that makes me happy.
- Apple Maps for short journeys around home because it has the prettiest looking maps (yes, really), the clearest voice direction (“after the second set of lights, turn right” instead of “in 300 meters, turns right) and it’s just lovely all around.

Can you not select the type of route you want?
My older RNS510 will give me 3 alternatives to select and I can select which type of roads I wish to avoid.
Yes, WelshGas, both the VW sat nav and Google maps gives 3 possible routes but annoyingly not the same 3 routes. For example, coming back from Looe on Friday, Google correctly identified the B3254 as my shortest route home (to also stop on the common for lunch overlooking Liskeard) and to cross the A30 at Kennards House. The inbuilt sat nav didn't know that there is a perfectly good road from the B3254 to Kennards House, so, sent me into Launceston which I always prefer to avoid .

Mine (2012) VW T5 is so bad I use the satnav on my phone

Yes, WelshGas, both the VW sat nav and Google maps gives 3 possible routes but annoyingly not the same 3 routes. For example, coming back from Looe on Friday, Google correctly identified the B3254 as my shortest route home (to also stop on the common for lunch overlooking Liskeard) and to cross the A30 at Kennards House. The inbuilt sat nav didn't know that there is a perfectly good road from the B3254 to Kennards House, so, sent me into Launceston which I always prefer to avoid .
Mine (2012) VW T5 is so bad I use the satnav on my phone
Well all I can say is my 2014 SatNav has taken me all over the U.K. Europe and Scandinavia perfectly on some very interesting routes with automatic diversions if their are problems. Each to his own.

I find google maps in satellite mode is very good, using satellite easier than ordinary maps as it shows exactly what’s outside, along with points of interest etc.

Check the parameters of your sat Nav logic ! You have a choice to enable certain criteria! Explore the navigation options

I’m finding I’m using Waze more on long journeys, Google maps in satellite mode is good when trying to locate the destination.

I dont like the in built satnav either. Ugly UI and maps.
I use apple maps all the time via carplay. I like apple maps because it integrates with your calendar, so if you have already put your destination into an event, it automatically suggests it as your destination. The maps are also very attractive and the UI uncluttered and easy to read.

Back