Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NEC Motorhome Show

R

rodbateman

If you 99% sure you want a factory fitted camper from VW with all the reassurance of VW backed warranty, service centres etc is there any reason to visit this show and look at the alternative conversion market?

A loaded question and a somewhat biased readership I know but has anyone been tempted with a conversion option?

I have the opportunity of visiting but wonder if it's worth doing?

For me it would depend how much previous camping experience you've had in a VW camper.

If you haven't actually camped in one, preferably in the cold and rain, then I'd do that first.

If you know you can't go bigger, but have only looked at 'Rock n Roll beds with side kitchens', I'd be taking a look at the new Westfalia Joker which I think is being shown (do check before deciding). Two living areas can prevent wars from starting, but there are of course compromises.

If is going to sit around a lot waiting for 'highdays and holidays', I'd look if a bigger model would work for you.

I'd say you should go. If the decision remains Cali, then you'll feel more confident you made the right decision for you whilst you wait.

T4WFA said:
I'd say you should go. If the decision remains Cali, then you'll feel more confident you made the right decision for you whilst you wait.

I agree. I held off ordering my Cali 3 years ago, making the conscious decision to to to the NEC show to convince myself it was the right choice (I was toying with the idea if a Danbury T5 conversion as an alternative). Although VW weren't (and aren't) at the NEC, I came away knowing that the Cali was the right decision for me - there were many more converters there than I'd looked at up to that point; none of the convinced me they were as good as the Cali. I ordered the day after attending the show.

Go!
Steve

Kinda knew I wanted a Cali but also wanted to look at the conversions market too. After looking at the other options I was tempted by the Ford Terrier, very good van and would have had it over the VW except for the rear seats. Problem with them is that they seat 3, which makes it awkward for fitting kids seats, where 2 makes it much easier. You can only sleep 4 so have 4 seats!! or have the fifth seat like the Cali(optional).
Other problem with a lot of conversions are the engines, for me they're usually not enough power.
I'm off to the show again on Sunday as it's worth a visit to see the vast array of options on the market and to see if I can pick up any end of season bargains :thumb

I'm nearly at the point of buying , renting one for a potentially wet weekend in the lakes at half term to see if the family can cope for 3 nights without killing each other! I'm at another (work related) conference at the NEC this week (great timing!) so going to have an hour to spare to have a quick look around the NEC, to see how the conversions stack up against the cali, also going to have a cursory look at the terrier but don't think it will compete

Have seen on Facebook that kyam will have a cali at the show https://www.facebook.com/CamperVantastic

Thanks for replies

Looked at the terrier video just now - don't think its for me - the rear seat looks squashed for 3 and probably awkward for two in child seats - plus looks as if the view from the rear seat will be compromised with the cabinet size positioning. I shall go along though to have a gander at it and any others there.

Hi
having studied every detail of a Cali for over a year , hiring one for a week , a trip to the show confirmed what I had already gathered - nothing comes close to the build quality of a Cali.
grey carpet up the walls - no thanks

dave and lisa :D

We came very close to buying a Bilbo ex demonstrator, but after renting a Cali decided that was the better choice.

We thought the sliding rear seat bed was better than a fixed Rock and Roll version and the interior looked and worked better than the retro fit wooden types.

What don't we like?
The Cali does not come in a LWB version and it is a left hand drive vehicle with a right hand drive position.

Other than that it is great.

Alan

with all due respect, i have just looked at the Transit and its just another conversion and overpriced at that. nothing will compare to the Cali for the factory fit.

I like the Bilbo conversion. Of all the conversions it seemed to have more quality than the rest and the LWB does appeal. Sadly for Bilbo's when I was in their premises looking around they had another vehicle on show called a California. One look around and I wondered why I was bothering even looking at a third party converter when I could just pop along to my local VW van centre and order the complete thing.

What still appeals is having the sliding door on the passenger side.

The only practical front seat to swivel round casually in the VW is the passenger seat, the drivers seat is just too much hassle and so is repositioning it the following morning to drive away again. However with the kitchen behind the passenger seat the full potential of even one swivelling seat cannot be realised.

A minor niggle, but then, I'm a grumpy gran today so enjoy my minor niggles :?

Don't know about the bilbo but in a lot of conversions the driver's seat doesn't swivel which was a bone of contention for us. I turn our driver's seat all the time, it's not a problem if you do it regularly and it gives you a lot more space in a small van.

We are here at the show - and I think we have the only actual California here!

We are on stand 635 - come say hi! :hello

Even if you aren't in the market for a camper there's loads to see and do and lots of accessories for sale here too!

Are you and all the vw conversion companies displaying in the same area or will I have to hunt around?

We are just inside the main entrance round to the right.

All the VW converters are together about a 5 minute walk away.

This show is HUGE!

We are here for all brands though - but of course we had to have the best!

I'm sat in it now writing this!!!! :thumb

10533454_10152691472164123_4433753910673238845_n.jpg

A rather rubbish phone shot from last night... after setup!

Can we ask if you are doing any deals on Audio at the show?

Come and see us and we'll point you in the right direction! :thumb

I will see you tomorrow Mr Ken wood...

It is something I may like to upgrade to so you can convince me .... :D

I am going to upgrade as well but would like to see it working.

For anyone looking but finding Cali a bit too pricey check out CMCs Reimo campers if we had not bought a Cali this would have been the next choice...

From a very cursory look at CMC website the cost is at least comparable to the California so a significant cost saving would not be reason to buy a CMC over a California I'm guessing.

Mr ken wood, thanks for showing me round your sat nav and Cali. I only had an hour to spend at the show, but decided the following.

Will probably spec the ken wood satnav.

All the conversions were flawed in some way, either caravan upholstered, seats that don't swivel, dodgy curtains or a table that requires you to get a scaffold pole out of the boot to put it up. This includes the terrier transit, which is probably a better van.

Kyam awning looks quicker an easier to put up than vango inflatable.

If I ever get a caravan, which is unlikely, I'll get one of the silver airdream ones, as they are pretty!

Cool. Up at the show on Friday.

Stu said:
Seems Bilbo managed to misplace one of their vans at this years show :laugh2

Bilbo Stolen

I also heard the keys were in the ignition when it was stolen so chances are the insurance will be void!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back