Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are VW at the NEC Motorhome and Camping show next week?

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Having recently purchased a 2017 Ocean in recent months, I'm keen to understand what is occurring with the California going forward.

Are VW at the NEC Motorhome and Camping show next week?

Thanks

They weren't last year and are not on the list of exhibitors. Pity as I'd like to look at the new XL.

Ahh that's a shame. The NEC show is massive, so I assumed that VW will be there.

Are VW not interested in the UK market?

I hope this is not a sign of Brexit.

A bit arrogant of them really. Think of the potential customers for the Grand with money to spend that will be wandering around there.

Ahh that's a shame. The NEC show is massive, so I assumed that VW will be there.

I hope this is not a sign of boris bike.

I do not know what is going on here. Where my message says 'boris bike' I actually typed "Brexit"

And if I try to edit my text is still reads "Brexit"

Yet when it displays in this forum, it reads "Boris Bike" ?????

• Agree
Reactions: Ted
I do not know what is going on here. Where my message says 'boris bike' I actually typed "boris bike"

And if I try to edit my text is still reads "boris bike"

Yet when it displays in this forum, it reads "Boris Bike" ?????

It appears that this forum does not like the word B_r_e_x_i_t. Instead it substitutes the words "Boris Bike". Try it yourself.

VW have never been at the NEC as far as I am aware. Are Mercedes there with the Marco Polo?

Basically, as far as Campervans/Motorhomes are concerned it is for converters etc: There are no BASE vehicle manufacturers exhibiting.

Basically, as far as Campervans/Motorhomes are concerned it is for converters etc: There are no BASE vehicle manufacturers exhibiting.
I've just done a google search and found this "
Monday, 01, Oct 2018 03:43

By William Coleman

The name Mercedes is not one that you may initially link to touring holidays. Now it seems that the luxury manufacturer have set their eyes on the caravan and motorhome industry with their new range of touring vehicles. At this year's October NEC Mercedes-Benz Vans UK Ltd will be showcasing a variety of vehicles designed to inspire your future holiday adventures.

At this year's Birmingham NEC show you will be able to find Mercedes-Benz Vans UK Ltd Hall 20m Stand 25, where they will be displaying their very best motorhomes and campervans. I have spent some time in the Mercedes Marco Polo which is a fantastic campervan that is cram packed with all new innovation and tech so I am excited to see what's new from Mercedes. "

So it looks as if VW are losing a great opportunity to show and tell their plans for the California.

Brexiteers. British Exit. brexit UKexit.
Its coming soon. :Nailbiting

I hope this is not a sign of boris bike.
We’re going up to have a look at Crafter conversions such as IH and Knaus in order to be able to compare with the Grand. When we last went up in our Cali four years ago we ended up buying another Cali because none of the T5 conversions came anywhere near it! Unfortunately we won’t be doing the same thing this time because our needs are now different.

Good evening,

We will visit the NEC on Friday (can't wait :)). A friend of mine visited the NEC in spring and he loved it.

Now the flights and the NEC tickets are booked, but I am a bit disappointed that VW as a company won't be there. I am mainly interested in the VW campers in Mercedes Marco Polo - just to get an update and to compare.

Still, I believe there will be a lot to see and maybe small items to buy (I am glad that we are flying, so there is no fear to spend too much money). I believe I saw an advertisement for the "Bulli" signs. If I can find them I would love to put them on the van (has somebody done this? Do the signs stick well?).

upload_2018-10-14_21-50-7.png

Talking about the camper show, is there a club meeting point / stand on the show? If there is I don't want to miss it.

Maybe see you next Friday..:)

Regards,
Eberhard

I've just done a google search and found this "
Monday, 01, Oct 2018 03:43

By William Coleman

The name Mercedes is not one that you may initially link to touring holidays. Now it seems that the luxury manufacturer have set their eyes on the caravan and motorhome industry with their new range of touring vehicles. At this year's October NEC Mercedes-Benz Vans UK Ltd will be showcasing a variety of vehicles designed to inspire your future holiday adventures.

At this year's Birmingham NEC show you will be able to find Mercedes-Benz Vans UK Ltd Hall 20m Stand 25, where they will be displaying their very best motorhomes and campervans. I have spent some time in the Mercedes Marco Polo which is a fantastic campervan that is cram packed with all new innovation and tech so I am excited to see what's new from Mercedes. "

So it looks as if VW are losing a great opportunity to show and tell their plans for the California.
Mercedes - Westfalia more like.

Mercedes were there last year with the Marco Polo too

Thanks for that SimonK. So ramps up the question even more....."Why are VW not at this show?"

Last year, I think I did see two Californias; one was on the Khyam stand and the other on the Campervantastic stand...

Too bad I probably won’t see a Grand this year, but I could always just go and look at, say, th Westfalia stand to see the same thing :)

We have never seen VWUK at either of the NEC shows. The Cali has only appeared as support for another product, e.g. Kyham and Kenwood one year.

VWUK do attend the annual Commercial Vehicle show and have a big stand there. The Cali is usually on that stand. Odd given very few campers will go to that one, just fleet managers.

VWUK really do not like the California, probably too niche with not enough profit for them to care.

Alan

Thanks for that SimonK. So ramps up the question even more....."Why are VW not at this show?"

Probably because they have never had a problem selling California's in the UK and do not consider the event at the NEC to be significant, unlike say the Dusseldorf Salon.

Just look at quoted delivery times. They are hardly overwhelmed with too much stock to shift :(

We are there now. I still believe that none of the countless T6 conversions on show, or the Marco Polo which I’ve just seen for the first time in the flesh, are in the same class as the California. Unfortunately we haven’t seen anything bigger that we fancy either. I think I can see which way this is heading.......

Last year, I think I did see two Californias; one was on the Khyam stand and the other on the *************** stand...

Bother - the forum has a habit of removing certain brand names from posts. Those asterisks replaced a word that started with 'Campervan' and ended with 'tastic' :)

I would be very tempted by the Westfalia Club models, if it weren't for the fact that they make a California look inexpensive :)

Good afternoon,

maybe the decision of VW UK not to participate in the NEC Camper & Motorhome show is somehow understandable. Why spend money advertising a product that sells on its own (e.g. Nutella ((am I allowed to say that?)). Even with the high prices of the California there are always a (at least small) queue of buyers.

If the demand decreases maybe this will change. Until then we have to go do Düsseldorf camper show to see the latest California models.

Regards,
Eberhard

PS.
Still can't wait for Friday to see for myself :)

There yesterday, MB there with Marco Polo, had a good look at all the Crafter conversions, liked the IH Crafter and the Sven Hedin but salesman knew little about base specs. Will await the Grand Cali methinks.

Back