Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Poland trip

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thinking of a two week tour of the coastlines of Netherlands, Denmark, Germany and Poland (date not set).

any recommendations would be appreciated - keen on wild places with nature and few people

would be keen on some “off site” nights - either to break up long drives or to get away from it all. is this tolerated? Or are formal sites a must?

I have next to no experience of these countries

thanks !

In the Netherlands the law doesn't allow 'wild camping'. So your options are campings or camper stops. Theoretically you could try 'wild camping', but it'll be real tough to find a secluded spot and there's a big chance you get caught and you will get reprimaned or will be fined (140 euros).

Also, keep in mind that the Netherlands will be even more busy this year than it normally is. Just about everyone seems to be staying in the country for the holidays, where normally we travel abroad en masse. We're a camping-people. Campings will be busy and probably full. Most friends I talk to canceled their foreign trips months ago and have booked campings in the Netherlands. People who haven't are now looking hard to find campings that still have free pitches left.

Since your date isn't set yet, If you can, you might want to plan your trip in september. Our holidays end at the end of august. So after that things will be a lot less busy.

Hi @ThomasHJ - thanks for that - same situation here in UK at present with regards to campings being full.

Thanks for the info about 'off site' camping - sounds like it's not worth the potential hassle.

What's a "camper stop" please and how would I find one?

We are hoping to go end of August / early September.

A 'camper stop' might be bad translation on my part. I guess you would call it a 'motherhome parking'? So, not a 'camping' but a place where you can legally park your camper for a small fee (usually less then you would pay for a 'camping') and stay the night. Sometimes even for free. Some have a few facilities (fresh water/dump grey water) some with more facilities. A place thats basically just for sleeping, not much more.

A 'camper stop' might be bad translation on my part. I guess you would call it a 'motherhome parking'? So, not a 'camping' but a place where you can legally park your camper for a small fee (usually less then you would pay for a 'camping') and stay the night. Sometimes even for free. Some have a few facilities (fresh water/dump grey water) some with more facilities. A place thats basically just for sleeping, not much more.

thanks- what’s the Dutch term so I can search internet?

Just check ACSI website , lots of usefull free aires and campsites in europe on that site.

Germany similar busy... Don't miss out Belgium on your way :happy
If you use "camperplaats" in google, you should hit some sites. But I recommend installing the free app Park4Night, which should take you either to campings, official camperspots of free spots. In Belgium free camping is not allowed either, but yeah... Even here in Bruges there are some spots, surely when you overnight in "stealth modus".
Enjoy your trip!

incorrect post,sorry.

@kp64zl , have you seen our trip 2y ago in Denmark and the meet @Romo ?

Last year we did this in Denmark with the meet in Bornholm

Denmark was great !

We went in Poland when doing the last Hannover factory tour and then visit Auschwitz .

Stayed in Sopot in Poland a couple of years ago for a windsurfing event. Then jumped on a ferry to Karlskrona in Sweden and returned via Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and France. Great trip

We had a very pleasant week in southern Poland at

Campsite run by a Dutch man and his Polish wife.

Situated around a gravel lake which is swimable, it is very relaxed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are still restrictions re visiting Denmark. Borders were closed to all except people with holiday homes (Germans), I think they have been lifted a bit but you might have to have booked accomodation (campsites included) for at least 6 nights to gain entry. Please check with the relevant DK gov websites.

Back