Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Family trip to Denmark

C

Clare

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all, having recently purchased a Cali we're keen to organise a family adventure for the summer.
Having taken quite a few trips to France in our old van we fancy something different and Denmark for looks appealing. Legoland, Vikings and beaches sounds great!

Anyone who's visited as a family have any tips?

We're unsure of whether to go Eurostar or ferry to Hook of Holland. We'd like to break the journey up with a couple of nights in the Netherlands. Visit Legoland for a couple of days and spend some time at the beach. We'll probably have around two weeks to play with.

Any tips gratefully received.

Thank you

Hi all, having recently purchased a Cali we're keen to organise a family adventure for the summer.
Having taken quite a few trips to France in our old van we fancy something different and Denmark for looks appealing. Legoland, Vikings and beaches sounds great!

We're unsure of whether to go Eurostar or ferry to Hook of Holland. We'd like to break the journey up with a couple of nights in the Netherlands. Visit Legoland for a couple of days and spend some time at the beach. We'll probably have around two weeks to play with.

Thank you

We camped at two sites in Denmark on our year's trip around Europe. Boys ages 2 and 3.

It is not a cheap country - consider pizza for a meal out not steak and chips. Not in Eurozone. Not very dog friendly, if you take a dog expect to have to keep in on the lead.

However, it is very bicycle friendly if you take bikes, English is very widely spoken, campsites are usually very good with family showers and camping kitchens (very useful if it is raining and you are in a Beach).

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Thank you
When you say "Summer" I am guessing you mean school holidays, yes? I only ask because there is a Club Meet being planned for 7/8/9 September in Denmark @Kmann . If you stretch to that weekend you could join other Cali owners if you are so inclined. Meet will be on the Island of Romo.

We camped at two sites in Denmark on our year's trip around Europe. Boys ages 2 and 3.

It is not a cheap country - consider pizza for a meal out not steak and chips. Not in Eurozone. Not very dog friendly, if you take a dog expect to have to keep in on the lead.

However, it is very bicycle friendly if you take bikes, English is very widely spoken, campsites are usually very good with family showers and camping kitchens (very useful if it is raining and you are in a Beach).

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Thank you, your adventure sounds amazing.

When you say "Summer" I am guessing you mean school holidays, yes? I only ask because there is a Club Meet being planned for 7/8/9 September in Denmark @Kmann . If you stretch to that weekend you could join other Cali owners if you are so inclined. Meet will be on the Island of Romo.

Thank you, I did see there was a Cali meet in Denmark. Unfortunately we'll have to be home by then.

Hi Clare, we have visited Denmark many times to see family. There is plenty to see and do in Jutland.
Please note the Danish school holidays finish about the 12th August so attractions like Legoland will be quieter after then.
Legoland is very good though expensive, probably circa £90 for family of 4. You can take food/drink with you as the food is also expensive and there are lockers for hire. Nearby there is a waterpark and a great animal park (Givskud)
Ribe is a beautiful old town,
Vejle is nice town with a little beach at Albuen and you can feed the deer in the nearby deerpark.
Aarhus is the old capital of Denmark with great shops and cafes. Also great museums, forests and beaches nearby.
Silkeborg is also very nice with a large lake and lovely boat trips down a river.
On the west coast is Sondervig with beach houses, gorgeous sandy beach.
East side of Jutland is Ebeltoft (campsite on the beach here) nice old town with beaches, museums, frigate and the nearby Mols Bjerge national park.
Viborg is also a pretty town.
I can't help re campsites but supermarkets are reasonably priced ( some cheaper than others) fuel is cheaper than here generally. Eating and drinking out is where it gets pricey. Don't forget to try the hotdog stands. Museums, shops etc are all of a high standard and it is a very nice country. Try the municipal swimming pools as well, they are cheap but usually amazing facilities. It's worth googling for any events that might be on when you are visiting. The tourist info offices are good also.
Re dogs My brother has 3 dogs there and never had an issue regarding them.
Weather can be hit and miss but It can get very hot or very wet!
Any questions you are welcome to message me.

Hello Clare,

We too intend to hit Denmark this year (2 adults and 3 kids) but I plan to drive to Billund over two days on my own, with the family flying out from Heathrow and me collecting at the airport.

Flights look very reasonable with the cheapest being Ryanair (Stanstead) at £53 or BA £61 from Heathrow if you pick the right date

We will then trundle around Denmark for a week or so and then slowly wind our way back to the Eurotunnel

I will follow this thread and welcome anything you find and will replicate....good idea this forum hey!

Thank you
Have used the Hook of Holland ferry frequently, normally the overnight crossing going with a cabin, so you arrive well refreshed ready to hit the road.
I find it overall cheaper than the Tunnel when you take into account the milage on the other side.
Numerous campsites within an hours travel of the Hook of Holland, useful to stay at the night before your return ferry. I normally take a daytime return ferry.

Hello Clare,

We too intend to hit Denmark this year (2 adults and 3 kids) but I plan to drive to Billund over two days on my own, with the family flying out from Heathrow and me collecting at the airport.

Flights look very reasonable with the cheapest being Ryanair (Stanstead) at £53 or BA £61 from Heathrow if you pick the right date

We will then trundle around Denmark for a week or so and then slowly wind our way back to the Eurotunnel

I will follow this thread and welcome anything you find and will replicate....good idea this forum hey!
Billund airport is excellent.

As a dane - I will say welcome to an, hopefully, great holiday in denmark :)
Be ware of wild vikings though :thumb

Prices in supermarkeds is not that bad, if you choose discount.: Lidl, ALDI, Netto, REMA1000 - all have reasonable prices.

Eating out can be pricey, but most places dont expect tips - as saleries are relativly high in denmark.

Visits recommended could be.:

- The coast at Løkken(Loekken) or Blokhus.
(You may drive and park right on the large beach here)
- A visit to Skagen in the top of denmark is quite special with the yellow houses and the two different oceans meeting there.
- The capital Copenhagen is a great place, with old buildings, Amalienborg Castle where the queen lives - and Nyhavn where there is a lot of pubs and water.
- Randers in jutland, where you can visit a copy of the rainforrest (Randers Regnskov).
- Giveskud Zoo, where you can drive amongst the lions - in your own car!!! :)
- Ravnsborg Viking castle - a newlybuild 'castle' by the danish 'viking' Jim Lyngvild
- Djurs Sommerland - which is a large amousementpark with great rollercoasters.

And a whole lot of nice danes :welcome

Last edited:

Thank you
Hi Clare we did a short trip to Copenhagen last year. More info in this link. Good luck.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/copenhagen.18897/

Hi Clare, we have visited Denmark many times to see family. There is plenty to see and do in Jutland.
Please note the Danish school holidays finish about the 12th August so attractions like Legoland will be quieter after then.
Legoland is very good though expensive, probably circa £90 for family of 4. You can take food/drink with you as the food is also expensive and there are lockers for hire. Nearby there is a waterpark and a great animal park (Givskud)
Vejle is nice town with a little beach at Albuen and you can feed the deer in the nearby deerpark.
Aarhus is the old capital of Denmark with great shops and cafes. Also great museums, forests and beaches nearby.
Silkeborg is also very nice with a large lake and lovely boat trips down a river.
East side of Jutland is Ebeltoft (campsite on the beach here) nice old town with beaches, museums, frigate and the nearby Mols Bjerge national park.
I can't help re campsites but supermarkets are reasonably priced ( some cheaper than others) fuel is cheaper than here generally. Eating and drinking out is where it gets pricey. Don't forget to try the hotdog stands. Museums, shops etc are all of a high standard and it is a very nice country. Try the municipal swimming pools as well, they are cheap but usually amazing facilities. It's worth googling for any events that might be on when you are visiting. The tourist info offices are good also.

I am Danish and would not be able to give a better description ;-)

There are so many things to see and do. If I can help you, just let me know.

You might find it interesting to find more info here for a start: https://www.visitdenmark.co.uk/en-g...292.1485978067.1519331420-59390492.1517503215

For each region, there are subsites with more detailed info.

PS: I am preparing a prospect for the Meet to come. You might also look into that when it is online. It is mainly concentrated around the south-west of Jytland.

PPS: Besides campsites, many of the small leisure harbours offers pits for auto campers, with access to washing, cooking and toilet facilities. And a sea view ;-)

Wow! Thank you for all this information Larry, this will give me plenty to look at.

I visited Denamark as a child and still remember having the most delicious hot dog! So that will me a must! Sondervig also sounds wonderful. Thank you.

Hello Clare,

It is - Im glad I started this thread.

my eldest is actually desperate to go on a plane so your plan might not be a bad idea - although I think my husband is looking forward to sharing the driving with me. I refused to drive out last van (it was a Hymer and massive!)

As a dane - I will say welcome to an, hopefully, great holiday in denmark :)
Be ware of wild vikings though :thumb

Prices in supermarkeds is not that bad, if you choose discount.: Lidl, ALDI, Netto, REMA1000 - all have reasonable prices.

Eating out can be pricey, but most places dont expect tips - as saleries are relativly high in denmark.

Visits recommended could be.:

- The coast at Løkken(Loekken) or Blokhus.
(You may drive and park right on the large beach here)
- A visit to Skagen in the top of denmark is quite special with the yellow houses and the two different oceans meeting there.
- The capital Copenhagen is a great place, with old buildings, Marselisborg Castle where the queen lives - and Nyhavn where there is a lot of pubs and water.
- Randers in jutland, where you can visit a copy of the rainforrest (Randers Regnskov).
- Giveskud Zoo, where you can drive amongst the lions - in your own car!!! :)
- Ravnsborg Viking castle - a newlybuild 'castle' by the danish 'viking' Jim Lyngvild
- Djurs Sommerland - which is a large amousementpark with great rollercoasters.

And a whole lot of nice danes :welcome

Hello and thank you! This information will give me plenty of ideas.

I am Danish and would not be able to give a better description ;-)

There are so many things to see and do. If I can help you, just let me know.

You might find it interesting to find more info here for a start: https://www.visitdenmark.co.uk/en-g...292.1485978067.1519331420-59390492.1517503215

For each region, there are subsites with more detailed info.

PS: I am preparing a prospect for the Meet to come. You might also look into that when it is online. It is mainly concentrated around the south-west of Jytland.

PPS: Besides campsites, many of the small leisure harbours offers pits for auto campers, with access to washing, cooking and toilet facilities. And a sea view ;-)

Thank you

Have used the Hook of Holland ferry frequently, normally the overnight crossing going with a cabin, so you arrive well refreshed ready to hit the road.
I find it overall cheaper than the Tunnel when you take into account the milage on the other side.
Numerous campsites within an hours travel of the Hook of Holland, useful to stay at the night before your return ferry. I normally take a daytime return ferry.
Thank you - I think I'm leaning in favour of the ferry. We've taken the St Malo ferry a few times and the kids have always loved sleeping on the ferry.

Last edited:
+1 for Rema1000, excellent supermarket chain, well priced and decent quality.

Wow! Thank you for all this information Larry, this will give me plenty to look at.

I visited Denamark as a child and still remember having the most delicious hot dog! So that will me a must! Sondervig also sounds wonderful. Thank you.
You're welcome, the roads are empty as well, not like the UK :thumb

You're welcome, the roads are empty as well, not like the UK :thumb
We were planning a four week trip to France & Spain in the summer but, having read these posts, are now seriously thinking about Denmark instead.
Thanks Clare - think you've started something here!!

Hello Clare,

Found out you can take a ferry from Arhus/Ebeltoft to Zeeland - helps makes a nice round trip if you want to take in a lot. I can't decide whether to do this or just Jutland...

You might find the attached helpful. I've recently discovered pebblar, its great! :)

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 23.29.28.png