Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

new 6.1 Ocean

T

turnitdown

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
I'll be buying a new 6.1 Ocean shortly. This of course means looking at existing stock and choosing among the available configurations. Mentally this is a bit different from ordering from new because there's not a set price I'd pay for each optional extra, so it's not so much a matter of weighing an option against a pound value but of weighing one set of options against another. I'd be grateful if anyone has advice about the following:

Art Velours seats - is it realistic that these would save me from buying seat covers? I have two kids, 7 and 9, and they like outdoor adventures. If I were ordering from new I'd skip this option and order from Jackyards, because I like the look more and they're cheaper. But some of the vans I'm looking at have these and wondering if they'd be enough. I should say I don't like most seat covers, so if the Jackyards ones can't take a proper beating or aren't that comfortable to sit on, then the Art Velours options becomes a lot more important.

Wood effect floor - have only seen photos of this and frankly really don't like the look, it looks like plastic-pretending-to-be wood, not wood. I'm also unsure about durability, it looks less rugged than the other floor. But I also remember how annoying the dimpled floor was on my 2019 Beach, impossible to clean. Has anyone specced this and been pleasantly surprised by the look? Or has anyone specced this and regretted it later?

I think I will want to add an underslung lpg tank plus underslung water tank. Are there any options that increase or decrease the ease or capacity of this, other than 4motion? E.g. if I get a van with 18" wheels and so on spare, that must free up more space under the van, right? Does the 80l tank make any difference?

thanks!

Can't comment about the seats. We don't have, others love them, with kids we'd cover anyway. We have a 10 month old and have VW covers on the rear seats.

Wood effect - we have and love it. My sister did not spec it and wishes she had. Looks so much better in real life and we have had zero issues with durability.

Note sure the point of an underslung water tank - we get more than enough with the 50l existing, but sure you have a use case.

Form my limited recent search experience, art velour was a standard 4 motion thing I believe.
That said I saw quite a few units with styling packs that included art velour. Tricky with runout models, the spec sheet goes out of the window and they just empty the parts bin.

For my money, go the seat cover route. Posh seats stain just as easily as standard ones.

Only my opinion but, I’ve always preferred a more comfortable living space so carpet over the floor. Once it’s covered up it matters not what the floor is. You’re right about the dimpled floor. Nightmare to keep clean.

Is the lpg tank only available with 18” chassis ie it use the wheel well?

I was disappointed to not be allowed to spec Art Velours in the end, as the order had been placed and it was too late. Now I'm glad I didn't as I got some bespoke covers from Individual Auto Design that look better and were cheaper. And of course I still have the mint original seats beneath. Recommended. With little kids I'd cover the velours seats if I had it - there's some alcantara type elements in the design.

The wood effect floor is clearly not wood, but it does look better than the alternative and is easier to clean. If you intend to put carpet down of course it would be pointless, but you might need to accept it on a stock van, and it might help resale. We like ours and would spec again.

thanks all.

@dspuk , I'm looking for a bigger take for showers (would add hot water). That said, isn't the stock tank only 30 litres rather than 50?

@sidepod . Thanks. I was thinking of a carpet but worried that would be harder to deal with if muddy than a floor. Definitely seems easier to shake out a carpet though than sweep that dimpled floor from what I remember.

@66tim99 yeah, if I had to pay for the art velours as a specific extra there's no way I'd pick them, I think it's really the Jackyards style that's appealing to me. At the moment it's like there are a bunch of pre-fix menus I can pick with different options, all roughly a similar price, and it's hard to put a specific pound value on any of the extras.

thanks all.

@dspuk , I'm looking for a bigger take for showers (would add hot water). That said, isn't the stock tank only 30 litres rather than 50?
Just checked the app - it's actually 25L so my bad. Was always 50 in my head. Never ran out though.

The waste is 30L, take up any extra.

Seat covers are easiest to clean - ours have them on. Carpets possibly grip better on the standard dimple floor? Ours has never slipped. Polished wood effect might require a grippier carpet back?

Just checked the app - it's actually 25L so my bad. Was always 50 in my head. Never ran out though.

The waste is 30L, take up any extra.
What app are you referring to? The manuals have always said Fresh water is 30L same as the Waste. I think that the fresh is actually bigger than stated based on how many 10 litre containers I can fit in.

What app are you referring to? The manuals have always said Fresh water is 30L same as the Waste. I think that the fresh is actually bigger than stated based on how many 10 litre containers I can fit in.
California on Tour. Useless apart from the e version of the manual. Same comment on size. Always felt it was holding more. Might check one day.

IMG_8938.png

I ordered the Art Velour seats and immediately covered them. I ordered the wood effect floor and immediately covered them with Brandrup carpets and additional Dunelm sacrificial mats.I like both options, but I can’t see either! Must be mad…
Carpets. Do you have to take them every time to set up the lower bed ? Is there a way of avoiding that ?

Carpets. Do you have to take them every time to set up the lower bed ? Is there a way of avoiding that ?
You don’t need to move the brandrup carpets as they have cut outs for the rails.
There are a few members who have had seats retrimmed in leather and they look great for not much more than the art velours. We fitted brandrup seat covers which are are original material and washable.
There is a company in Switzerland who can fit a water heater in the cupboard under the sink. Takes up the lower left space I think.

We just took delivery of ours, the spec is limited by the stock available. I guess the dealers spec up to what they know will sell. What I would say is speak to Amy at Liverpool, she really was good. Other good dealers who come back to us are Stuart Watson from city gate London.

I'll be buying a new 6.1 Ocean shortly. This of course means looking at existing stock and choosing among the available configurations. Mentally this is a bit different from ordering from new because there's not a set price I'd pay for each optional extra, so it's not so much a matter of weighing an option against a pound value but of weighing one set of options against another. I'd be grateful if anyone has advice about the following:

Art Velours seats - is it realistic that these would save me from buying seat covers? I have two kids, 7 and 9, and they like outdoor adventures. If I were ordering from new I'd skip this option and order from Jackyards, because I like the look more and they're cheaper. But some of the vans I'm looking at have these and wondering if they'd be enough. I should say I don't like most seat covers, so if the Jackyards ones can't take a proper beating or aren't that comfortable to sit on, then the Art Velours options becomes a lot more important.

Wood effect floor - have only seen photos of this and frankly really don't like the look, it looks like plastic-pretending-to-be wood, not wood. I'm also unsure about durability, it looks less rugged than the other floor. But I also remember how annoying the dimpled floor was on my 2019 Beach, impossible to clean. Has anyone specced this and been pleasantly surprised by the look? Or has anyone specced this and regretted it later?

I think I will want to add an underslung lpg tank plus underslung water tank. Are there any options that increase or decrease the ease or capacity of this, other than 4motion? E.g. if I get a van with 18" wheels and so on spare, that must free up more space under the van, right? Does the 80l tank make any difference?

thanks!
We have recently purchased an Ocean, ours is 4-Motion, for us lack of options made decisions easier. The flooring is perfect, it was covered with plastic to protect it, but it works and looks great. We have used ours off-grid for 3 days, nothing ran out or over filled. Seat covers are a pain, but we got our interior treated and it comes with a kit of maintenance, we had a major spill and cleaned up well even the muddy dog prints. The bump in the lower bed can be overcome with a topper. The upper bed is lightly sprung.

thanks!
I was away this weekend on the fab Isle of Mull. At the ferry terminal I was chatting to a German chap with a high spec Ocean which included the wooden floor. Really nice but they have the option of speccing the wood effect doors too so it all came together better imo. With the gray doors I guess it would still be nice as wood tends to go well with any materials.

He also had the velour seats which looked good but he never cooks in the van. We have some nice thick woolen throws to cover seats when cooking which double as blankets. Covers can be expensive and ugly in cases. We also have the fabric protection applied pre-delivery but this can be done diy with Scotchgard of course.

I would save the £ (if budget is a variable), and spec your own finishes.

I know some love the wood effect floor. But it’s ultimately some of the world’s most expensive vinyl per sqm.

I have some aftermarket carpet down at the moment. If carpets are your preference, Barndrup ones come up for sale here all the time.

Once I finish my other projects, I am fitting marine grade cork, like Project Yonder’s Van.

Seat covers. I thought Art Velours are a bit slick for a campervan. Plus alcantara isn’t kid friendly. I’ve bitten the bullet and bought Inka covers. Not a perfect aesthetic, but durable and kid friendly.

Shower. I went around in circles on this. In the end I didn’t bother with the 30l trickle that is the VW OEM (appreciate some people love them). For an overnight trip without facilities, we go feral with wet wipes, longer trips, alternate off grid with full facility sites and or hotels.

Or get a roof box/back box and buy a Joolca!

IMG_3290.jpeg

IMG_3289.jpeg

I know some love the wood effect floor. But it’s ultimately some of the world’s most expensive vinyl per sqm.

I have some aftermarket carpet down at the moment. If carpets are your preference, Barndrup ones come up for sale here all the time.

Once I finish my other projects, I am fitting marine grade cork, like Project Yonder’s Van.

Seat covers. I thought Art Velours are a bit slick for a campervan. Plus alcantara isn’t kid friendly. I’ve bitten the bullet and bought Inka covers. Not a perfect aesthetic, but durable and kid friendly.

Shower. I went around in circles on this. In the end I didn’t bother with the 30l trickle that is the VW OEM (appreciate some people love them). For an overnight trip without facilities, we go feral with wet wipes, longer trips, alternate off grid with full facility sites and or hotels.

View attachment 127086

View attachment 127087
Godamn that looks good !

Thanks.

I'm considering the Joolca but not convinced it has enough heating power - I have yet to see a review that actually looks at how much it can raise the temperature and what the flow is like when it's at max heating (when flow goes down). There are some YouTube videos where it looks like the water going in is probably at 20C already, whereas my use would involve 4C water straight from the Highlands. (Am considering the hot tub actually -- seems a bit mental but I just love the idea of climbing a munro in winter and then soaking in a tub under the stars.)

I would have thought flooring was much easier to put down over the wood-effect floor, which is smooth, rather than the stock floor which is bumpy. I have not looked into this though. I do think the wood-effect floor looks awful in photos.

I was away this weekend on the fab Isle of Mull. At the ferry terminal I was chatting to a German chap with a high spec Ocean which included the wooden floor. Really nice but they have the option of speccing the wood effect doors too so it all came together better imo. With the gray doors I guess it would still be nice as wood tends to go well with any materials.

Did you realise that the wood floor is matched to the cupboard doors ? if you have grey doors you get a greyish flooring and the bright yellow floor with the more orange colour doors.

Did you realise that the wood floor is matched to the cupboard doors ? if you have grey doors you get a greyish flooring and the bright yellow floor with the more orange colour doors.
Aah no I did think it was all light wood; however, I don't think UK Ocean has/had option for light wood.

Aah no I did think it was all light wood; however, I don't think UK Ocean has/had option for light wood.
It was an option at one point, the Coast came with the lighter finish cupboards as standard.

It was an option at one point, the Coast came with the lighter finish cupboards as standard.
Yes I previously had a Coast which had the light wood effect; there was no option for grey I remember but I could be wrong. Apparently chosen to lighten the interior because it had fewer zipped openings in the canvas and therefore had a darker interior.

Back