New Beach ordering questions.

rich-s

rich-s

East Fleet Farm Touring Park - Weymouth
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello from sunny Weymouth :cool: .

We are hoping to order a new Beach in Blackberry.

Having previously hired a SE we decided we don't really need all the extra equipment in one of those. Also we would really like a full width bed.

One question is what options would you consider 'must have' at the ordering stage? Don't want to get this too wrong.
So far we have.
Metallic Paint (Blackberry) This is a non negotiable option with swmbo.
Colmer Wheels
Double Glazing to rear windows (I assume that single glazing will condensate?)
Sliding off side window
Bumper Cover and door sill guards (it will be used as a light use van too)
Thought about heater, but £1400 will buy a lot of jumpers and duvets.
We will need roof bars for Canadian canoe, but I assume that the roof comes with the tracks for those as standard?

The other problem we have is finding one in the flesh to view. They seem pretty scarce at dealerships? I'm pretty sure from all I have read that we would want a 2 seater rear bed. Comfort of the bed is paramount. The dealers that do have them seem to mainly stock the 3 seater bed version :sad .

:thanks

I would add climatronic AC to the spec as well. Its full aircon and also has a feature that any residual heat can be pumped into the cabin for 30 mins after you stop.
Parking sensors have got me out of some tight spots when blocked in by other vehicles.
The roof does come with tracks so no issue there.
Bumper protector is just a stick on so dealer can add that anyway.

I have a 2 seater Bench Beach and am in Chandlers Ford near Southampton. You would be welcome to take a look at mine if its not to far for you. Different colour though (Night Blue).
Only issue with that could be timing as its due to go off on Friday to get the roofpox fixed. Likely to be away for 2 weeks.

Owen

I'd add a roll out awning, 140BHP, Bluetooth, Multi Function steering wheel, cruise control, parking sensors and mud flaps. We have the 2 seater rear bench and find that the VW comfort matress, I believe its an extra,(which goes over the seat bed) works really well
All extras that came with our ex demo but We have found to be invaluable.

Do not scrap the heater, worth every penny.

If you are getting a 2 seater bench and want to have the option of driving more than 4 people then do buy additional seats. I have taken out the side cupboard and multiplex board and have two additional seats so I can have 6. If you don't buy the extra seats when ordering then you cannot buy them later.

Replied once, but not sure where it went.
Anyway, thanks for your posts.

Owen - Will check out Climatronic AC. Parking sensors probably a good plan. Thanks for the offer of coming to look at yours. Can't make it this week, however if we don't get to see one elsewhere I'll contact you when yours is feeling better. :thanks

Bigbloke - We own a caravan accessory store, so hoping to pick up a Fiamma roll out awning cheaper than OEM. Are the VW comfort mattresses better than aftermarket versions? Will be going for the 140PS.

Andresz - Are the heaters able to be fitted later? Or must they be done at time of build?

Nshep - Cheers, but this will be for me and swmbo. We have a Discovery for lugging passengers etc.

It seems madness to me that anyone spending Cali money (£38k-£55k?) would want to sit in the cold and damp (wearing 5 sweaters) when at the flick of a switch you could be all toasty and dry. Add the heater !

Fair comment. Do the heaters all smell? On the full fat Cali we hired the exhaust seemed to be right under the sliding door and filled the cabin with fumes the moment the door was opened.

You do have to watch the fumes. My Carbon Monoxide alarm went off when I had the side door open for a minute. The point about pitching next to a tent is a good one.

I wasn't meaning to have a pop, I guess I'm just suggesting that it's a camping / leisure vehicle which spends much of the time stationary with your family sat inside. I'd always try and maximise it's use a camping / leisure vehicle and worry less about looks and tweaking (the already fine) driving dynamics. (You may have guess it from my photo..... :lol: )

I use mine all year round, even if it's for a trip to a local National Trust property at the weekend, always having lunch in the Cali even when it is cold and wet outside.

rich-s said:
Andresz - Are the heaters able to be fitted later? Or must they be done at time of build?

heaters can be fitted later on and there are at least 3 people on this forum including me that have had it done. It wont be quite the same as the factory fit one though. On the factory fit the controls are above the rear view mirror and the outlet vent in the B pillar. Retro fit ones have the vent coming out underneath the drivers seat and the control knob in various places.
Typical price for a retrofit would be £1200 so if its a £1400 VW option I would say the extra £200 is worth it for the lack of hassle finding a decent fitter and a complete factory 'look'.

A lot of options can be retrofitted later, at a price. Have a look at these people who do factory spec retrofits. http://hazzydayz.com/ Some are similar price to the VW options list and some are much more. Zenon lights is an example, to retrofit wit all the legal washers & leveling would be around £4k :eek:

+1 for having cruise control.

Hi from a fellow beach owner

Tail gate protector a must easily fitted at a dealer
Mines a 3 seater in the rear loads of room especially when folded to sleep on , I would Recommend a additional comfortz mattress tho
Parking sensors highly recommended (its a T5 van at the end of the day we like to take into very busy places)
Choose your alloys on order , otherwise its a pain to sell and upgrade
Blue tooth is good too
Heater yes its that time of year when you start to appreciate it , you do get a mains hook up nowadays on the beach so a electric fan heater can be used if mains is available

Hope that helps from my experience's

We. Have remote Heater. And really pleased , also. Parking sensors front and rear

We have 7 seater and middle seats are very easy to fit in and out

Ok - we have moved on a step. Found a 2 seater version to see at a dealer today. Definitely our preferred choice. Got a quote too and pretty happy with the outcome. Better than we had been offered via email from 3 other dealers.
Have now changed the option list to.

Blackberry Paint
Parking Heater
Privacy Glass
Parking Sensors
Colmar Alloys

Expect to add sill guards and bumper cover too.

Cruise control now standard with Bluemotion.

With regard to comfort mattress - need to decide between vw and Zonesleep?? Any opinions??

Excited now we are near to pulling the trigger on this. Then the long wait ensues 16 - 18 weeks apparently.. :sad

We have the VW comfort matress on the 2 seater Beach, we're very pleased with it...........but have nothing else to compare it to.

Hi

3 zone is excellent, Premium bluetooth and multi function steering wheel, I would scrap the blackberry we don't want to many of them round here...lol :D
We got ours in Jan just love it wouldn't be with out it... No heater for us we have hook up for no fumes...

Shaun Bournemouth

Absolutely go for the parking heater...!!!

Cruise
Awning
Bluetooth
Sat nav
Towbar prep pack
Double Glazing
If you can get full climatic with it covering the rear I would go for that as well.

Cheers for the input.

Differing opinions on the heater then..
Cruise is now standard.
Awning will be a Fiamma one as I have trade terms (unless the vw is significantly superior?)
Bluetooth doesn't bother me. Not one for phone calls on the move if I can help it.
Satnav... be nice I guess, but might just stick with the TomTom.
Double Glazing was on my list, but not available with Privacy. Never been a fan of aftermarket privacy film. Does the Double glazing make a lot of difference?
Climatic - well SWMBO doesn't like aircon anyway.

Don't skimp - get what you want from the factory, I'd recommend the parking heater, retrofit is good, but I'd rather have factory and if I was buying second hand I'd rather see factory install. Climtronic is something I'd also add as well Xenons and of course sat nav and Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back