Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Bellows

JOHNB61

JOHNB61

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi - I lent my 2014 Cali Ocean to friends but they didn't follow the instructions on lowering the roof and left the bed in the raised position. This has led to a couple of rips in the bellows.
Any advice on where I can get new canvas bellows fitted. We are in Leicestershire.

Many thanks
John

Ouch!

I hope the friendship continues.

As a wild guess, I would say about 1500 quid.
It needs to be done right.

Oh no! Hope you get it sorted and remain friends.

if you want to buy one, the light grey was £550+vat in August 2021 and the dark grey was £660+vat. Part numbers below. It’s a job for a competent diyer: The bottom rubber is spot bonded in 5 places: use .Sikaflex 521 to rebond. It’s apparently a 3 hour labour job with VW

Part numbers:

Manual roof: Beach Coast
Dark grey: 7E8 875 059 C IU7
Light grey: 7E8 875 059 C UV8
Blue: 7E8 875 059 C UR7
Red: 7E8 875 059 C UW9

Hydraulic roof: Ocean
Dark grey: 7E7 875 059 K IU7
Light grey: 7E7 875 059 K UV8
Blue: 7E7 875 059 K UR7
Red: 7E7 875 059 K UW9

If I had to replace one I'd get the Hilo one instead!

If I had to replace one I'd get the Hilo one instead!

The OP is referring to replacing the California canvas bellows not the whole roof.

Also, if you did want a new, complete, roof on a van then HiLo would not be my first port of call.

Thanks for all the responses. Friendship will continue....I suspect that once you've torn one set of roof bellows you are extremely careful in future.

Thanks for all the responses. Friendship will continue....I suspect that once you've torn one set of roof bellows you are extremely careful in future.
I gather replacement bellows are about £600-800 . Also the later ones will probably fit , those with the panoramic front opening - but check.
VW Dealerships should be able to fit but check. Alternatives are good Campervan Converters who might be able to fit.
Alternatively, it is possible to DIY.

Kernow Transporters in Cornwall fit complete California roofs to conversions so definitely can fit and have a good reputation. I now it is a bit far but could be combined with a camping trip as they would probably only need the van for 1/2 a day. Worth considering as they definitely have the expertise.

Alternatively, use Tear Aid to patch the holes and take your time sorting a replacement.

We learned from day one that any adjustment or manoeuvre in a VW California must be done very S L O W L Y. Especially opening and closing of the roof. Turning the front seats.Opening and closing of the doors and glass cooker and fridge tops. These things can so easily get broken and are humongously expensive to put right. Nobody brakes things on purpose but if you do everything slower It almost alleviates the possibilities of things going wrong.

Just as a note for anyone thinking of a new roof Hilo have gone into liquidation thankfully as if you read any of their latest reviews have got a terrible reputation for doing a duff job and not being able to put problems right. Know this for a fact as son-in-law had a roof from them which is not fit for purpose and tried for well over year to get it sorted and is now stuck with it. A very expensive roof that is a total mess.

I gather replacement bellows are about £600-800 . Also the later ones will probably fit , those with the panoramic front opening - but check.
VW Dealerships should be able to fit but check. Alternatives are good Campervan Converters who might be able to fit.
Alternatively, it is possible to DIY.

Kernow Transporters in Cornwall fit complete California roofs to conversions so definitely can fit and have a good reputation. I now it is a bit far but could be combined with a camping trip as they would probably only need the van for 1/2 a day. Worth considering as they definitely have the expertise.
Richard at Kernow Transporters will do a great job at a great price. We had some roof work done by them recently and the service and communication was fantastic throughout the process. Well worth the trip.

Richard at Kernow Transporters will do a great job at a great price. We had some roof work done by them recently and the service and communication was fantastic throughout the process. Well worth the trip.
Hi,

I can’t speak too highly of Richard at Kernow Transporters, he sorted my roof problem easily last week. My roof wouldn’t go up fully so I thought it was a leaking ram, further investigation showed the cause to be a split hydraulic line. Apparently, the previous owner had a sensor replaced and the line was not in the correct position, hence it gradually wore through to a hole. Richard replaced both lines on the drivers side back to the roof pump and replaced a faulty sensor. It was an all day job and he charged me £420 plus VAT for parts and labour. Had a great walk to Land’s End while he had my van.
It’s a long way from Shropshire, but I would go to Kernow without hesitation if I have any further roof problems. By the way, he has replaced faulty roof pumps for T6.1 Cali owners who had no joy with VW. Apparently there was a faulty batch which VW won’t acknowledge, the latest batch work fine.

Matt

Can’t help with any technical advice, but if you do need a new bellows you could try a company called LLL parts.

I had one of my roof rams fail and was quoted £405 for a replacement from VW, I searched around and got the genuine VW part from LLL for €280 which is £242

I think they source them from Europe where parts are cheaper

Hope this helps

Alternatively, use Tear Aid to patch the holes and take your time sorting a replacement.
Hi - I lent my 2014 Cali Ocean to friends but they didn't follow the instructions on lowering the roof and left the bed in the raised position. This has led to a couple of rips in the bellows.
Any advice on where I can get new canvas bellows fitted. We are in Leicestershire.

Many thanks
John

Many thanks
John
Hi, I used tear aid on a tear in the front corner section of my bellows (approx 3 inch tear) . It is has been in place now for over 4 years and I have been very happy with the product. I placed the patch on the inside of the bellows.

Hi, I used tear aid on a tear in the front corner section of my bellows (approx 3 inch tear) . It is has been in place now for over 4 years and I have been very happy with the product. I placed the patch on the inside of the bellows.
We've had a similar experience with tear aid - excellent product. We put patches on both the inside and the outside of the tear.

What decision have you made?

So I've snipped my bellows with the scissors. Even with the roof bungee on. No idea when. I'll repair it for now. Is it true that all the t6 ones are discontinued? If I had a replacement I would need to sit in the van with a brolly up from what I'm hearing. I would have liked a new set fitting. Maybe in dark blue. Not arsed about that big front opening.

So I've snipped my bellows with the scissors. Even with the roof bungee on. No idea when. I'll repair it for now. Is it true that all the t6 ones are discontinued? If I had a replacement I would need to sit in the van with a brolly up from what I'm hearing. I would have liked a new set fitting. Maybe in dark blue. Not arsed about that big front opening.
I’m not absolutely sure but don’t all the bellows fitted to the new Ocean have the panoramic roof. I always fancied one but couldn’t justify the £1000 plus to replace ours. Until VW service had a bit of an accident when the van went in for some work. Result….a new panoramic bellows FOC .. I can say it’s incredible to be able to open the whole front up, lay in bed to a fantastic unrestricted view…

This might do you if they still have them in stock.

19107636-FB02-423D-B171-105646D3BEA4.png

I’m not absolutely sure but don’t all the bellows fitted to the new Ocean have the panoramic roof.
All oceans from mid sometime in T6 production had the panoramic front, it wasn't something that came in with T6.1

Part numbers in post 24 for the various colours

I’m not absolutely sure but don’t all the bellows fitted to the new Ocean have the panoramic roof. I always fancied one but couldn’t justify the £1000 plus to replace ours. Until VW service had a bit of an accident when the van went in for some work. Result….a new panoramic bellows FOC .. I can say it’s incredible to be able to open the whole front up, lay in bed to a fantastic unrestricted view…
My issue is the new bellows are all leaking.does anyone have experience with invisible repairers. Like they can with clothes?

My issue is the new bellows are all leaking.does anyone have experience with invisible repairers. Like they can with clothes?
The shop used to do a repair kit for bellows, not sure if they still do it

edit: tear aid in shop

FEE98344-A241-4FC0-A698-87059D339E46.png

Tear Aid. Various sizes.