Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Isotop & Bellows Bungee

C

Calisand

Guest User
After almost 3 years of head scratching I’ve finally bought an ISOTOP V for our T6 California Ocean with the standard opening windows. When we bought the Cali 3 years ago I also bought a bellows bungee which I’ve never fitted as never felt the need. When I lower roof I always do in stages and check roof folding in (me from inside and my wife from outside the van. We’ve never experienced any issues when lowering roof even in strong winds (always follow advice re windows etc). My question is whether the bungee is essential once I’ve fitted ISOTOP. I’d appreciate views from anyone that has used/does use ISOTOP without a bungee on T6 Ocean and whether the canvas still folds in ok without it. Views appreciated.

I used a bungee for the first year or so but don't bother now. we have always had a isotop fitted.
I think as long as you have someone outside watching there is no need for a bungee.

I have the isotop fitted, never used , never needed and never owned a bungee for the roof.
Ocean 2019

thank you both for your replies. Just one more question please. I’ve got a topper that I’ve always used when it’s either been cold or very heavy rain. Do either of you use a topper as well when very heavy rain expected?

Ditched my bungee ages ago...should have done it sooner.

Used to have an external topper, used it once & got rid & bought the internal one.

Something else to pack, , to much faff, & I got wet putting it on & taking it off.

Only time I would think of using one would be if going skiing to keep snow & ice out of the whole mechanism.

After 5 years of not having one I fitted a bellows bungee but took it off soon after as I did not like the the way it added tension to the bellows. Re the topper if you are parked up in one place for a while and expect heavy rain I think its worth fitting, if we are only stopping for one night we try to park the van with the rear into the wind to minimise rain on the bellows.

We always use the topper when its snowing, we have a roofless one which I think is easier to fit and also allows roof bars.

20200310_155213.jpg

Got a bungee fitted but like others have said probably don’t need it especially as the new T6.1 bellows seem to fold in very efficiently. Might repurpose it at some point.

thank you both for your replies. Just one more question please. I’ve got a topper that I’ve always used when it’s either been cold or very heavy rain. Do either of you use a topper as well when very heavy rain expected?
Nope, don't use a topper. Canvas of the pop up roof is waterproof. Don't personally see the need for a topper. Maybe if I was staying 1 week winter camping with snow, maybe..

Isotop with or without bungee is fine. A bungee will do no harm if fitted correctly and can save an expensive repair. If you use a bungee the elastic shouldn't be tight, just enough to hold the cord in place and stop the bellows blowing outwards in strong winds when closing the roof and the wife doesn't want to go outside in the rain and check ;)

Haven’t fitted my Isotop yet but have a had a Bungee fitted since the first week of having our van. All my hire vans had them fitted and it means an extra level of protection. I’m always careful to watch from inside the van as it comes down even though the bungee is in place.

I agree that it isn’t absolutely necessary but if it saves me from expensive bellows damage, it’s worth it for me. I have installed a number of items to protect my van, including seat covers, bumper guard etc; none of them necessary, but there to make life easy and so I can get on with the business of enjoying myself, and don’t have to treat it with kid gloves, whilst protecting my investment!

I also often camp with just my children and so need to be able to drop it on my own and really don’t want to get out every 5 seconds to check everything is okay...I can just imagine what my fellow campers would be thinking if they saw me doing that :talktothehand

Sorry one more question please. In the kit supplied with the ISOTOP there is one item not referred to in instructions and I can work out what is for. Can anyone tell me what it’s for?

Many thanks.D6459ED3-F0D3-49B1-A371-6F021E659C5D.jpeg

Sorry one more question please. In the kit supplied with the ISOTOP there is one item not referred to in instructions and I can work out what is for. Can anyone tell me what it’s for?

Many thanks.D6459ED3-F0D3-49B1-A371-6F021E659C5D.jpeg
Sorry meant to say I can’t work out what it’s for.

Sorry meant to say I can’t work out what it’s for.
I have the iso top fitted to my T6 with front opening and did not have this extra piece, I think it is T6.1 specific although not entirely sure how they differ.

Thanks both. The thread link Dr Snickers attached gives the answer which in simple terms means I don’t need the cord. If anyone would like it please let me know and I’ll post it to you FOC.

Having fitted the Isotop I find that once the roof is closed, whilst the rubber fitted around the roof seals the gap between roof and van, if I pull hard on roof it can pull it down by another 1-2mm at the back of the van.Having never thought about this before I’m not sure if this was the case before I fitted the ISOTOP. Any views or advice on this would be appreciated. I do have club shop waterproof cover on mattress and wonder if this could make a difference?