Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali & Daylights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

M

m18rus

Hi All, owner for 1 week now, March 2012 Ex demo Nat Grey, 180SE 4Motion. Drives lovely, few squeeks & rattles from the back, soon to be sorted. Big headach with the 'Daylights' always on. VAG dealer says cant be turned off? He's raising it with VW-VAG machine on a dis?note. Anyone out there any knowledge?
Also ordered today Iso-Top & headlamp protectors anything else considered essential?
Look forwards to seeing all on the road. Soon to get our own plate on the Cali will soon be RU55HAZ.

Regards to all,
Russ & Shaz

m18rus said:
Hi All, owner for 1 week now, March 2012 Ex demo Nat Grey, 180SE 4Motion. Drives lovely, few squeeks & rattles from the back, soon to be sorted. Big headach with the 'Daylights' always on. VAG dealer says cant be turned off? He's raising it with VW-VAG machine on a dis?note. Anyone out there any knowledge?
Also ordered today Iso-Top & headlamp protectors anything else considered essential?
Look forwards to seeing all on the road. Soon to get our own plate on the Cali will soon be RU55HAZ.

Regards to all,
Russ & Shaz

Why do you want to turn them off - I think DRL's are quite handy.

James

In just the week of use on the few good days on motorway driving gives the appearance of aggressive van driver behin. When weather dictates can always turn on side or dipped headlights. The daylights are only on the front?

m18rus said:

Regards to all,
Russ & Shaz

As far as I am aware this is a new EU legislation that all new vehicles have to have day time running lights as standard. :crazy
http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/d ... lights.pdf

Re: New Cali & Daylights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

All new vans have to have the daylight running lights on by law. Hence why the dealer says they cannot be turned off. I know on the older VWs you could do it with the instrument stalks but that is no longer an option on newer ones.

Done the owners manual, both diy options, switch & using indicator stalk dont work. It does say if these options dont work take to VW VAG for turning off? Trying DFT web for advice.

i personally wouldn't say an iso-top and headlamp protectors as essential ,but i suppose we all have different views on what is essential in a cali .. :D
I've got/had a few cars with DLR's and the cali one's like my caddy seem to be the more normal without looking like an alien ship or landing strip when you look at one behind you :barmy ...
If you turn on your side lights they do dim ;)

EU legislation, so if you did turn them off somehow and had an accident (for example) it would probably affect your insurance as well. It is not possible to deactivate them.

cheers

I know when I had my Volvo - you know the one, the car maker that for years had your lights on all the time in view of the harsh and possibly dark Swedish Winters.

I know you could go to the dealer and have them changed with a switch to turn them off. Not quite the same as DRL's I know.

i like DRL's, and i know it's not fashionable to like EU regulations but to me they are a good safety feature. Especially as we are now coming into winter and we've got those awful cold dark mornings.

I know people see them as not needed an overkill perhaps but I don't think they hurt.

James

I agree with Custard why would you want to turn them off. Surely agressive driving is the way you drive not the fact your Daylights are on

I like them they look cool :smile:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Well looks like stuck with the daylights, they're not a UK requirement but EU spec conformity so VW wont turn them off.
Might look for lower power bulbs. But thats it for now, thanks for the input.

You have the normal lights where the DRL is on with the main beam ?

If it's the normal ones I am afraid there are no alternatives to the bulbs fitted. As it is a H15 15/55W Osram there are no other manufacturers of these bulbs and Osram do not make any upgrades.

Believe me I have tried :

Sorry.