Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali in Surrey.

Agnes_Cali

Agnes_Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I collected my California Beach Camper on Friday, so it's time for official introduction. As I mentioned earlier, I'm accidental "owner" due to run out leasing promotion in April. I do camp with tent and 4x4, but I always thought it doesn't make sense to keep 2nd/3rd car just for camping. But with leased vehicle, I'm going to use it as a daily whenever and wherever possible.

Other two cars in my fleet are convertible and 4x4.

I could not choose options on California, just the spec of cars which were already ordered. There were different vans available with more camping or more driving options. I went for basic model with some additonal driving add-ons like LED headlights, etc. Biggest issue for me is 3 seater bench which was missed by the broker on list of options, until it was too late to find another availble van. I will have to adapt. 2 seater would work better for single traveler with extra storage on the side and possibility to use kitchen with bed down.

AP1GczN1ej7KM6dPpatLKxOmdb05Kq513h6M6P5XWyZ60G-KxrbXqcTvH97juuC1-QhVITzogG0mJJBErcMOwGxYxNgM5vrLGfhiMA-LycPljWbv8ojysgxHErws7gyFxGYod-FkfH2M8zSr2gJw1V9GNAoC=w1080-h706-s-no-gm

AP1GczNlWDgiHoVYrz-dZKR8720ydcHm1RYzK6bIE6_UReDsIPmS570xYeO8wHA9s7S3gY_MhDVUg4WQE6y9vzUoByaGMP-768mkg56g5BIJFjHVkGzHdVLszWgHFldJIIsvldbhxyQwgTxXo6bLahR-8ehO=w1080-h608-s-no-gm

I spent last two months reading the forum and preparing for arrival of the camper. And since collections, spent some time in the van working out things. Everything seems to be very stiff and difficult to open or adjust. My bench is stuck in open position, so will have to check it and fix it. I already slept in the top bed on the first night, on the driveway and yesterday on lower bed. And closing the rear door is real pain, way too heavy.

I did order some accessories and after first camping trip, I will decide if sliding out tray is necessary or window bags. I don't have any longer trips planned, because my new job requires 3 days in the office, so days of working remotely from campsite in Europe are gone. I also can't go on longer trip, due to saving holiday days for delayed longhaul trip.

California will become my mobile office, changing room at work, possibly breakfast room between pool and work in the morning and of course commuter car (in London). I park in the underground parking at work, and height is ok, entrance door too, not sure about exit one, because of the kerb on the side. Will have to test tomorrow. Worst case scenario, will have to use entrance route to leave and park outside in future.

I already tested parking in the garage at home, but this space is reserved for my 4x4.

So far, I drove around 200 miles. 150 engine is a bit underpowered and I don't see anything resembling sport mode, to make it a bit nippier or to keep RPMs higher. Getting into my 4x4 after Cali, felt like I'm seating lower, but I appreciated 4l engine and its pulling power more than usual. I will try to take picture of my fleet later. Now time to sort out stuck bench.

I collected my California Beach Camper on Friday, so it's time for official introduction. As I mentioned earlier, I'm accidental "owner" due to run out leasing promotion in April. I do camp with tent and 4x4, but I always thought it doesn't make sense to keep 2nd/3rd car just for camping. But with leased vehicle, I'm going to use it as a daily whenever and wherever possible.

Other two cars in my fleet are convertible and 4x4.

I could not choose options on California, just the spec of cars which were already ordered. There were different vans available with more camping or more driving options. I went for basic model with some additonal driving add-ons like LED headlights, etc. Biggest issue for me is 3 seater bench which was missed by the broker on list of options, until it was too late to find another availble van. I will have to adapt. 2 seater would work better for single traveler with extra storage on the side and possibility to use kitchen with bed down.

AP1GczN1ej7KM6dPpatLKxOmdb05Kq513h6M6P5XWyZ60G-KxrbXqcTvH97juuC1-QhVITzogG0mJJBErcMOwGxYxNgM5vrLGfhiMA-LycPljWbv8ojysgxHErws7gyFxGYod-FkfH2M8zSr2gJw1V9GNAoC=w1080-h706-s-no-gm

AP1GczNlWDgiHoVYrz-dZKR8720ydcHm1RYzK6bIE6_UReDsIPmS570xYeO8wHA9s7S3gY_MhDVUg4WQE6y9vzUoByaGMP-768mkg56g5BIJFjHVkGzHdVLszWgHFldJIIsvldbhxyQwgTxXo6bLahR-8ehO=w1080-h608-s-no-gm

I spent last two months reading the forum and preparing for arrival of the camper. And since collections, spent some time in the van working out things. Everything seems to be very stiff and difficult to open or adjust. My bench is stuck in open position, so will have to check it and fix it. I already slept in the top bed on the first night, on the driveway and yesterday on lower bed. And closing the rear door is real pain, way too heavy.

I did order some accessories and after first camping trip, I will decide if sliding out tray is necessary or window bags. I don't have any longer trips planned, because my new job requires 3 days in the office, so days of working remotely from campsite in Europe are gone. I also can't go on longer trip, due to saving holiday days for delayed longhaul trip.

California will become my mobile office, changing room at work, possibly breakfast room between pool and work in the morning and of course commuter car (in London). I park in the underground parking at work, and height is ok, entrance door too, not sure about exit one, because of the kerb on the side. Will have to test tomorrow. Worst case scenario, will have to use entrance route to leave and park outside in future.

I already tested parking in the garage at home, but this space is reserved for my 4x4.

So far, I drove around 200 miles. 150 engine is a bit underpowered and I don't see anything resembling sport mode, to make it a bit nippier or to keep RPMs higher. Getting into my 4x4 after Cali, felt like I'm seating lower, but I appreciated 4l engine and its pulling power more than usual. I will try to take picture of my fleet later. Now time to sort out stuck bench.
The "sports" mode and other modes are normally selectable through the main centre console, if you don't have a mode button. I can't recall how to get there but you will need the ignition on. Owner's manual "driving profiles" is worth an index search.

I don't have driving profiles. Only profiles for ACC, but there I'm ok with Normal, don't need van to accelerate like crazy when getting back to set cruise speed.