Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

potential newbie seeks advice

Birty

Birty

Vehicle
Cali now sold
HI TO ALL.
I hope you dont mind me asking but......
Have been a T5 owner before but now looking for our first camper.. would like the T6 BUT A LITTLE expensive! Dare I ask if i should get a empty T6 and convert (but who could i trust ) or simply stretch myself for a newish T5 california from a vw dealer.. I do like my warranty after issues with previous T5 5 cyl engine.. So it’s get a non vw conversion or a genuine VW california? Also any thoughts on the automatic or manual? 4x4 or non 4x4.. Its just that my local vw dealer has both! I need it for aprox 17 month as temp accommodation then maybe upgrade/exchange so need to be careful with cost.. I work away for 4 days then home for 4 days so I WOULD ALSO SAVE £400 PER MONTH ON RENTING A BEDROOM!! Sorry to ask lots but just being a typical painful newbie Ihope☹️

HI TO ALL.
I hope you dont mind me asking but......
Have been a T5 owner before but now looking for our first camper.. would like the T6 BUT A LITTLE expensive! Dare I ask if i should get a empty T6 and convert (but who could i trust ) or simply stretch myself for a newish T5 california from a vw dealer.. I do like my warranty after issues with previous T5 5 cyl engine.. So it’s get a non vw conversion or a genuine VW california? Also any thoughts on the automatic or manual? 4x4 or non 4x4.. Its just that my local vw dealer has both! I need it for aprox 17 month as temp accommodation then maybe upgrade/exchange so need to be careful with cost.. I work away for 4 days then home for 4 days so I WOULD ALSO SAVE £400 PER MONTH ON RENTING A BEDROOM!! Sorry to ask lots but just being a typical painful newbie Ihope☹️
Tons of discussion on this site, most would recommend buying whatever age California you can afford, there are lots about, just be fussy when looking, condition is everything regardless of age.

Hi welcome don't be afraid to ask we all need help at times. Personally I would not get a van and have it converted the best converters are as expensive as a cali and they do not hold their value as well as a California would do. Auto or manual is a personal choice as is 4x4 or 2 wheel drive The best way is to drive each one and then you can choose your preference.

thanks all. Decision made.. California it is and deposit taken.. 2011 S.E with a 2.0litre engine tdi DSG.. private sale on this site!!

Reactions: Sad
Good choice
Nothing wrong with conversations
Just finding someone who has good attention to detail and will take good care doing the conversion isn’t easy.a Cali is factory so your worries disappear:)

We looked at conversions, but found that when we matched the spec between a conversion and a Cali, the conversion was more expensive. In our opinion, you've made the right choice!

Welcome Birty,
Congratulations on your forthcoming purchase.
Your original question was on the tip of my tongue only months ago. The more I thought about things the more I found a California desirable.
Sure there would be pro's and cons from an expense, design and styling aspect with both having their own quirks but anything that can go wrong mechanically with a Cali could go wrong with a conversion too. The Cali depreciates far less than a conversion and the Kitchen is on the correct side ;)

Yes I am convinced I have made the right decision... I did seek a little advice way from this forum which helped in a rapid decision... but thanks for your reassurance :thumb

What a lot of people don’t realise that getting a New Base van with the Options you want and then having a comparable conversion done by a good company then the 3 year VW warranty will be compromised in some aspects and I have yet to find a conversion company that will warrant the Conversion aspect for more than 1 year and you’re left as the piggy in the middle if you have problems.
Also the cost can be more .

I toyed with it for ages. Visited some brilliant converters. Finally went with the Cali as if I ever register her in Spain I understand a conversion would be a nightmare to register and also as stated, what happens if something goes wrong with electrics/gas/water after a year? There was also the fact that despite visiting my preferred converter three times, I was to pay for the new van prior to pick up. What happens if he goes bust with my money, then the hassle of selling the Range Rover after/before/inbetween???

Also despite seeing some brilliant work, they never quite looked as integrated and finished as a cali..

So easy and safe just bought her from a VW dealer and traded in the RR.... No concerns, no worries....