Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New california owner - already centre control panel not working

R

Rossboy2009

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi

I have just bought a second hand california - 06 plate.

I love it and so does my wife, but after 1 day the centre control panel has gone scrambled and i can't see everything.

It's a bit of a worry - any advice?

Thanks
Ross

Hi and welcome
First post and already bad news...
Think there's a tread here on how to replace the LCD screen of the unit.
Try and use the forum search function.
Or go to a dealer and buy a new unit...watch out it is pretty expensive !
Have you bumpt in to it with your head or did it just came suddenly ...?

Hi and welcome
First post and already bad news...
Think there's a tread here on how to replace the LCD screen of the unit.
Try and use the forum search function.
Or go to a dealer and buy a new unit...watch out it is pretty expensive !
Have you bumpt in to it with your head or did it just came suddenly ...?
Thanks for the welcome and for the response. I didn't bump it, I just noticed it today when I was checking it out. Only bought it yesterday and it was definitely fine as I had it on my list to check. Seems pretty bad luck, I have got straight in touch with the previous owner to see if he had any issues previously.

Might be worth a try. Reset unit by pressing bottom R button for at least 5 seconds. Reboots unit software.

Might be worth a try. Reset unit by pressing bottom R button for at least 5 seconds. Reboots unit software.
Just tried it - thanks for the tip but no joy.

Worth a try. Hope you get it sorted.

It's come back to life! A bit of warm weather seems to have sorted things so it is clearly moisture related.

Just a thought. Could that be the problem. Moisture in the Control Unit.
If that is the case, how many owners who use their California as a daily drive suffer this problem, compared with those who leave their vehicle for extended periods?
I have a 1 Kgm Silica crystal bag in my vehicle as I have done in my previous vehicles. Never suffered with condensation in any vehicle . Once a month the bag spends 2 days in the airing cupboard to dry out before reuse.

I think it must be moisture - it's no coincidence that the guy I bought from kept it in a garage and never had an issue whilst I left it out in the rain, it "broke" and then recovered in the sunshine. I think silica crystals are a great idea and will adopt it from now on. Perhaps people should consider removing the unit, drying it out and then re-installing before expensive repair jobs?

Next question - and sorry to be so high maintenance as a new member, but I can't get the cruise control to work. Is there a secret? Does it have to be "off" when you start, then switch "on" to engage? I have it "on" but there is not dash light to indicate that, and when i press the set button nothing happens.

I have a 2014 model so may be different to yours. Have you checked the Handbook?
Mine is also a DSG. Cruise control on all the time. Press set and speed appears bottom L on the Multi Function Display and a Green symbol on the Speedo at about 2 o - clock position.

Thanks for the reply. Mine is an 06 manual and the cruise control is on the indicator stick. Again, the seller said he has had no issue and I believe him. I have read the manual but it's not particularly clear. I feel like such a loser asking all these questions - I have other cars that I totally understand but the California is a very different experience!

The cruise control may not be enabled in 1st, 2nd gear or even 3rd. Is that possible on a manual transmission.

When I tried to use it I was in 6th gear, so it shouldn't be an issue. I will take it out at the weekend and have another go. Even without cruise control I love the van so I won't be too despondent.

The cruise control may not be enabled in 1st, 2nd gear or even 3rd. Is that possible on a manual transmission.
Cruise control can be enabled above 20mph on a manual .

And the switch is on the end of the stalk not the one on top.

The top switch has to be moved to on, then the buttons on the side will activate the CC. Bottom one to set speed top one to resume at previous speed. Once engaged up and down 1mph on the side buttons.

So is the Cruise Control working?