Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California Owner - Peak District (almost) VW Liverpool

A

Annie Camping

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi,
Just a quick message to introduce ourselves, John and Anna from Macclesfield (just outside the national park).
We picked up our grey Ocean from Liverpool on Thursday.
It is perfect and very pleased with VW Liverpool and Amy who helped us with our purchase.

Haven’t booked anything but quite shocked at the Christmas prices for the Motorhome and Caravan Club sites. Think we will try out a CL. Any recommendations for Yorkshire?

Also just in case. Where will I find the breakdown number please? We were lucky enough to get the 5/5/3 deal. But need to know how to use the breakdown element of it.

Looking forward to some happy camping. This is our first California, second VW van and just sold a Globecar on a Ducato to go smaller. Looks a bit daunting at the moment as we had got used to that extra space.

I have only been on the forum a couple of months myself but I can say welcome to a friendly and helpful bunch of people

Forgot to say that photos are compulsory and that you should have at least 4 manuals, one of which is all about the breakdown / assist programme. ✔️

Hi,
Just a quick message to introduce ourselves, John and Anna from Macclesfield (just outside the national park).
It is perfect and very pleased with VW Liverpool and Amy who helped us with our purchase.

Haven’t booked anything but quite shocked at the Christmas prices for the Motorhome and Caravan Club sites. Think we will try out a CL. Any recommendations for Yorkshire?

Also just in case. Where will I find the breakdown number please? We were lucky enough to get the 5/5/3 deal. But need to know how to use the breakdown element of it.

Looking forward to some happy camping. This is our first California, second VW van and just sold a Globecar on a Ducato to go smaller. Looks a bit daunting at the moment as we had got used to that extra space.
Enjoy you van Annie
How was the Lpool handover process? Picking mine up early in the new year?
Any issues ? Did the run through everything ?

Welcome to the forum - we're only 10 miles up the road! The problem at this time of year is while in theory prices should be "off peak", in reality a lot of the more basic campsites close (as they're grass) and it's the more formal ones that tend to be more commonly open. These will often have the big hardstanding pitches, water and electric feed etc. etc. and you pay accordingly. I imagine Christmas on a site will charge the extra to justify someone being around over those days - you never know, you might get a complimentary mince pie.

Welcome, we too got our van from Liverpool, 4 years this May.
Have a lovely Xmas and hopefully the handover covered the ‘heating system’, if you’re in the van over Xmas.

You will generally get the AA but you can request a VW specific tech, if it’s not urgent as you may have to wait longer for this option.
didn't know that but good to know

Welcome! :welcome

The forum is an untold mine of useful and helpful information. Just use the search function.

Also check out California Chris on YouTube (if you haven't already given, where your Cali came from;)). His videos are really straightforward and will shot you up the learning curve.

Most of all, relax and enjoy.

Hi,

Knaresborough is a nice site. Stayed there a couple of months ago. On-site cafe/retaurant. Longish walk to the town though.

Enjoy you van Annie

Enjoy you van Annie
Amy from Liverpool was great and the van is all good. We haven’t noticed any issues apart from the boot not opening full height and banging our heads…. Didn’t notice when picking it up.
We’ve been up to the lakes to a cl. for a couple of nights. Too windy to try the pop top. Got the 04 bellows, so need to test them sooner than later.

Welcome! In the same boat and also just recently bought our first California selling our Roller Team to go smaller. Also trying to optimise the space and realising we talk so much rubbish with us as we could! Anyway enjoy!

Welcome, we too got our van from Liverpool, 4 years this May.
Have a lovely Xmas and hopefully the handover covered the ‘heating system’, if you’re in the van over Xmas.
Managed the heating system and were nice and cosy. The floor is really well insulated as well (always had cold feet in our old t5, before the globecar). I think the heat insulated windows also help. Had to turn the heating off the second night.

Welcome! In the same boat and also just recently bought our first California selling our Roller Team to go smaller. Also trying to optimise the space and realising we talk so much rubbish with us as we could! Anyway enjoy!
Yes, emptying the globecar made us realise how much stuff we’d managed to accumulate.

Amy from Liverpool was great and the van is all good. We haven’t noticed any issues apart from the boot not opening full height and banging our heads…. Didn’t notice when picking it up.
We’ve been up to the lakes to a cl. for a couple of nights. Too windy to try the pop top. Got the 04 bellows, so need to test them sooner than later.
You’ll find in winter the rear door needs to be pushed up a little to get to full height, that’s normal. In summer, watch out because it’ll fly up and take off your chin if you’re slow stepping back! The strut fluid thickens in the winter.

Regarding winter campsites, the ones that open all year tend to use all weather pitches, and as there are relatively few, the law of supply and demand is in force, and it keeps the prices up. Just over the border from you, in North Derbyshire, Castleton has a CAMC site open all year. Short walk to the village and good walks from the site. There’s a CCC CL also, but I think it’ll be seasonal.

Back