Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New engine dilemma

Derry

Derry

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi All
I have a 1994 Westfalia Coach 2.4 diesel with an AAB engine which as we all know isn't the quickest on the block especially when fully loaded with bikes camping kit and the four of us.
I'm going to change the engine and looking at the re manufactured Vege engines for sale at Just Kampers
Now do I go for the same 2.4D AAB and hope it pulls better being a new re manufactured engine or do I/ can I go for the 2.5 Turbo diesel??
I'm assuming that if I go for the 2.5 turbo I can't use my existing gearbox? And will the engine fit in the engine bay?

Any ideas or what would you do!

Why don't you just turbo the engine you have?

Well I did mention this to a mechanic friend and he advised against fitting a turbo to my engine as the components within the engine won't stand up to bolting on a turbo as the engine isn't destined for a turbo and will just create issues further down the road.

Swapping out for a 2.5 TDI will be a much bigger job than sourcing a suitable gearbox. You need an ECU too. Not cheap. People have successfully turbo charged the 2.4d but whether you’d want to do that to an engine you think is on its last legs is another question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very common conversion adding a turbo

I think at the cost of the Vege replacement I’d be consider selling to update to longnose 2.5 TDI. A time consuming way to go I know and difficult if you’re very attached to your current camper. Also as the reconditioned engine is an exchange you’d probably have to go with like for like unless you paid a hefty surcharge.

Never thought about the straight swap like for like? Could be an issue.

I'm pretty attached to my short nose as kinda prefer its looks over the long nose. And spent a shed load on it already and know the van inside out and would prefer to keep it.

I'm not worried about being the fastest on the road do you think a straight swap to another AAB 2.4D will be better at pulling fully Loaded up hills? As the engine I have at the moment I do really struggle to get up an big hills and had to have a new clutch fitted as ruined the last on trying to get in Longleat centre parcs this year!

Never thought about the straight swap like for like? Could be an issue.

I'm pretty attached to my short nose as kinda prefer its looks over the long nose. And spent a shed load on it already and know the van inside out and would prefer to keep it.

I'm not worried about being the fastest on the road do you think a straight swap to another AAB 2.4D will be better at pulling fully Loaded up hills? As the engine I have at the moment I do really struggle to get up an big hills and had to have a new clutch fitted as ruined the last on trying to get in Longleat centre parcs this year!

I’m sure an upgrade in the exchange is worth investigating but as said already it’s quite a major upgrade to the 2.5. The 2.4 was never the most powerful, even the 2.5 prefers to rev rather than labour. Is yours particularly high mileage? An exchange engine could improve things but if the loss of power is down to the ancillaries being worn/out of tune you’d not be benefitting fully. Has your mechanic been able to check that your current engine is truly worn beyond it’s best?

I know owning these vans require an investment of money and time, selling ours would be the lowest option on the list in your situation.

I’m sure an upgrade in the exchange is worth investigating but as said already it’s quite a major upgrade to the 2.5. The 2.4 was never the most powerful, even the 2.5 prefers to rev rather than labour. Is yours particularly high mileage? An exchange engine could improve things but if the loss of power is down to the ancillaries being worn/out of tune you’d not be benefitting fully. Has your mechanic been able to check that your current engine is truly worn beyond it’s best?

I know owning these vans require an investment of money and time, selling ours would be the lowest option on the list in your situation.

My mechanic hasn't really said if it's on its last legs? It's done just over 290000 km and blows a bit of grey smoke when revving or under load ie going up hills.

I don't mind throwing a bit of cash at it as its a labour of love, I don't really see any point in upgrading to a newer model as the one I got does pretty much what the newer models do?

My mechanic does recon the 1.9 Tdi engine would be best though?

It’s a popular upgrade. Lots of info on the T4 Forum. Again an ECU controlled engine I believe but you could probably find a decent donor vehicle rather than buying a recon engine.

Check out the Cali Campers Facebook page they did a 2.4 to 2.5 tdi conversion quite recently, got a few pics and videos of it going in.
I popped into their warehouse last week in New Milton for some RHD headlights. The amount of T4 parts they have on the shelf is staggering.

Check out the Cali Campers Facebook page they did a 2.4 to 2.5 tdi conversion quite recently, got a few pics and videos of it going in.
I popped into their warehouse last week in New Milton for some RHD headlights. The amount of T4 parts they have on the shelf is staggering.
WOW looks like a tight fit! Will be giving them a call for chat, thanks for replies :thumb

I recently 2months ago bought a rear end damaged autosleeper t4
2.5 tdi ayy engine 2002 88bhp
Genuine 55k totally checked out it’s definitely genuine
Bought it complete so I could do a manual conversion on my auto multivan..
Conversion all done now.
So I have left the entire engine ECU clocks ignition key engine looms and fuse box if required ..the box I put in mine is totally perfect and totally confident the engine is too.
This is the best conversion it’s been done many many times.
You can also use your drivetrain gearbox ect.
So absolutely everything you need there.
I was going to list it on eBay after xmas

Hi Jay17cali
I have spoken to Cali Campers and they are happy to do the swap over their only concern was having all the right pipes and bits as its a left hand drive so I could be interested in what you have if you can private message me your phone number I will give you a call. Is the doner van you bought a left hand drive?

Hi Jay17cali
I have spoken to Cali Campers and they are happy to do the swap over their only concern was having all the right pipes and bits as its a left hand drive so I could be interested in what you have if you can private message me your phone number I will give you a call. Is the doner van you bought a left hand drive?
Hi
I just tried but not sure how to send a private message to you??
Sorry
Could you message me please then I will reply .

Derry needs to be a vip member to be able to direct message.

I don’t know what to suggest Derry??

I have just subscribed and paid to be a VIP member so maybe wait a while until it all goes through....

Give my Dad (Nigel) a ring at Engine Power as that block was in a lot of commercial vehicles he will have seen a few. He may be able to advise you on the reconditioning the existing one and what is feasible. He did convert my T25 but that's not their usual work and it took a lot of modification and the old gearbox needs upgrading too. Expensive in the end. He would be able to tell you if your block can take a turbo (needs to be hardened head I believe to avoid issues)

http://www.enginepower.org.uk/what-is-engine-remanufacture/

It's also important to understand the difference between reconditioned and remanufactured. Often reconditioned ones are just repaired enough to be functional again. Remanufactured would return it to original factory spec which I did on my T25.

I've just fitted a turbo to my AAB syncro back in the UK and it's transformed it. The thread on the T4 forum is brilliant. Turbo, manifolds and other bits and bobs off an ACV. I can now get up hills no bother at all now.
a30716adea5f369003bcc3e317ce3be5.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Some tea leaf knicked your intercooler!