Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking for more hp

Derry

Derry

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Looking for some advice on whether to get a recon engine or have the one I have remapped?

I have the original 2.4D aab 5 cylinder engine its 25 yrs old now and lost a few horses and really struggles on any hills and smokes and burns a bit of oil.
I'm not trying to be the fasted T4 on the block just want it to pull better! And would rather keep the original engine than swap it for a recon.

Any advice or thoughts..

I don't think you can remap that engine - my brother in law has a T4 campervan with that engine and was told there was nothing that could be done with it.
He's selling it if you're interested!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes I did mention fitting a turbo to my mechanic and he said the engine wasn't built for a turbo and could cause future damage to the engine because the other components within were not suited to cope with the turbo?

Go to the T4 forum. There are literally hundreds of threads.

Turbo isn't really a secure option as the engine internals are different (oil spray on the underside of the pistons).
You'd have to get a full turbo engine.

The best way is to change the van. To a later model sadly.

The 2.4 certainty isn't the quickest mill on the planet but it's revs and will cruise all day.

The most cost effective way is fitting 1.9tdi engine cheaper than rebuild of 2.4d and turbo and better on fuel.

Back