Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New hydraulic rams and cost please - repair near Chichester

DOMINICGG1234

DOMINICGG1234

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all

Had an issue with the roof while camping in Belgium. Guy came out and located the screw to allow for manual.

He said the ram had leaked and there was no fluid in the reservoir. Assume I’ll need a new ram - is it worth getting both done at the same time? 2012 se. If so does anyone have an idea of cost inc labour please?

Thanks in advance

Personally speaking, given the relatively low cost, I would replace both at the same time. The other seal could let go any time and do you really want to go through the same hassle whilst on holiday again.

Hi all

Had an issue with the roof while camping in Belgium. Guy came out and located the screw to allow for manual.

He said the ram had leaked and there was no fluid in the reservoir. Assume I’ll need a new ram - is it worth getting both done at the same time? 2012 se. If so does anyone have an idea of cost inc labour please?

Thanks in advance
I thought my rams needed replacing a couple of years ago after a hydraulic leakage, VW quoted £500 each plus labour for fitting for the rams. Rang Kernow Transporters and took it down to them in Cornwall. The leak wasn’t from the rams but from a fractured hydraulic line. They replaced all lines and replaced all the roof sensors for a total of £500 incl VAT and labour. Roof has been fine since. Can’t thank them enough for what they did, it involved an overnight stay in St Just, they dropped me off at the hotel and collected me the following day!

I thought my rams needed replacing a couple of years ago after a hydraulic leakage, VW quoted £500 each plus labour for fitting for the rams. Rang Kernow Transporters and took it down to them in Cornwall. The leak wasn’t from the rams but from a fractured hydraulic line. They replaced all lines and replaced all the roof sensors for a total of £500 incl VAT and labour. Roof has been fine since. Can’t thank them enough for what they did, it involved an overnight stay in St Just, they dropped me off at the hotel and collected me the following day!
That’s great. Good advice thank you. Googled them but that’s a long way to go at 50mph with the retaining straps

That’s great. Good advice thank you. Googled them but that’s a long way to go at 50mph with the retaining straps
Might be cost effective though and everything probably done in 1 day. Parts would have to be from VW , BUT and this is a big But, VW Labour costs would be substantially higher and there probably not many Dealerships or Independants who have ever done this job.
Kernow Transporters fit California hydraulic roofs to conversions as well as fix California hydraulic roofs. They probably do more of this work in one month than others do in years.
I would suggest giving them a call.
Oh, and by the way if you get a long ratchet strap , over the roof through the door openings to hold the roof in addition to the VW Velcro straps then you could travel at normal speeds.

I drove from Shropshire to them, 6 hours each way! As well as the straps, I put duct tape over all the roof edge seals to reduce the chance of air getting underneath and trying to lift the roof

Back