Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New lad signing in

G

Grin factor

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi everyone. Joined last night as the Ball & chain had an idea. We have a 2 berth caravan which we enjoy, but it only comes out when we can get away for at least 3 or 4 nights. She thought, lets get a camper like our neighbour - a cali, then we can "pop off" anytime we like for a night or 2 here and there. We can sell the car and use the van a out every day vehicle. It sounded like a very good idea to me, so here I am getting as much info as possible and hoping to decide which one to go for.
This is an amazing forum with a wealth of info. Cheers all

Hi everyone. Joined last night as the Ball & chain had an idea. We have a 2 berth caravan which we enjoy, but it only comes out when we can get away for at least 3 or 4 nights. She thought, lets get a camper like our neighbour - a cali, then we can "pop off" anytime we like for a night or 2 here and there. We can sell the car and use the van a out every day vehicle. It sounded like a very good idea to me, so here I am getting as much info as possible and hoping to decide which one to go for.
:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

Hiring one for a weekend might be a good idea, both for the camping side of things and using it as a daily driver.
Mines a daily driver and the only places I can't go are car parks less than 2m. Wouldn't be without it now.

Plenty info to research about Cali's and the Cali lifestyle ....
....you will be ordering soon trust me...
Welcome!

Welcome GF and soak up as much as you can! I came from a history of tents, Caravan (loved it), motorhome (hated it) more caravans (loved them all) to a camper and I've never been happier with my choice of leisure vehicle.

We've camped and caravanned in the past and loved them both. Although we've only had one weekend in Cali, she's an amazing vehicle and we love that she's parked outside the flat and is ready to go whenever we want to head off somewhere. There's no loading car with camping bits'n'bobs or contacting the caravan storage site to collect the caravan - we're ready for the off all the time!

:welcome

Joined this site myself a few weeks ago and there is a huge amount of info / advice. Are you thinking new or second hand?

I went for a second hand T5 (2011) and wasn't really a camper or caravaner before. Although it's still early days, we do one or two nights away and it is perfect. I did look at a conversion but I'm so glad I went for the Cali....really couldn't be happier with it. It's literally just pack a few clothes into a rucksack Friday evening after work and then go.

:welcome

Joined this site myself a few weeks ago and there is a huge amount of info / advice. Are you thinking new or second hand?

I went for a second hand T5 (2011) and wasn't really a camper or caravaner before. Although it's still early days, we do one or two nights away and it is perfect. I did look at a conversion but I'm so glad I went for the Cali....really couldn't be happier with it. It's literally just pack a few clothes into a rucksack Friday evening after work and then go.
Second hand as finances dictate so

Second hand as finances dictate so

Think you came to the right place then! :) People on here have such great insight and are so helpful....

Three weeks ago, I rushed in and bought quickly, not realising I should have asked questions here first. I did do a bit of research on here, but not a lot. I think (hope) I got lucky and managed to buy a good one, but really I should have reigned myself in a bit and ask for a second opinion on here before making an offer.

Also, if you join as a VIP member you get access to the 'Downloads' section, where there is a checklist for buying a used California. That alone could save you a fortune.

Forget the rucksack ....... eBag packing cubes fit perfectly in the wardrobe, we love ours.

Never heard of them before.....do you mean these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013KFK74/?tag=eliteelect-21

Yes, that's the brand but if you choose the large size you can lay them flat in the wardrobe for a good fit. They have a handle on the side and if you colour code it's really easy to just get the bag you want out without having to empty the whole wardrobe. We are a family of four so use different colours and it works well for us.

If you do a search on here you will see other people talk about them.

Sorry, just catching up after a couple of busy days at work.

Snap - I did that! Though we (I) planned to move from a tent to the Califorrnia. We went to Lookers in Newcastle and rented a van for a few days from their Vancations hire branch (just Google the name). We did this to test driving comfort, etc (him, as it was going to be his daily drive) and the beds (me, for my increasingly dodgy back). As both of us ended up happy, we went back to Lookers to see about an order - they are very good there.
Hope that helps...

Hi
I'll be happy to let you look around mine if you'd like. I did say look mind ;-), and try and answer any queries/doubts you may have. I have a MY 2017 Ocean.

..me..

We did exactly the same (although it was me and not the other half that came up with the idea). Our 2012 SE van is now her daily drive during the week and we take it out most weekends. I'm sure you'll find everything and more from the very welcoming and knowledgeable folks here!

WELCOME AND ENJOY THE MOMENTS EVERYTIME YOU DRIVE AND PARK UP Brilliant life changer

I bought my T5 SE DSG secondhand - 9 years old in fact. I bought it because having looked at all the other campervans of comparable size, they simply didn't match up in any way (oh well, they may have been cheaper of course). One year on, I'm still of exactly the same opinion!
I've only had one problem so far with my 'old' van, which was sorted easily and fairly cheaply by a good workshop (not a VW one) and paid for by the dealer (also not a VW one) in spite of the van being just out of warranty.

I bought from a local dealer with a VERY good reputation, which probably cost me extra but I thought it worthwhile as I had discovered there are a lot of scam adverts on the likes of Ebay and Gumtree etc. I researched the dealer (thanks google) and decided to go local as in case of any problem it would be easier to go back there. The first service in my ownership is coming up and again, although it's 10 miles away and I have a good reliable workshop near where I live, I've chosen to go with the workshop used by the dealer as I know they know about these vehicles.

Mine is my daily driver and I love using it all the time. It's a little wider and slightly longer than my previous estate car but it fits in the supermarket car park, just can't use low ones as I have roof bars on mine which I ought to remove but I like the look of them! And if someone parks too close for me to open the fairly large drivers door, I can go through into the back and use the sliding door!