Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New member here!

CaliforniaVix

CaliforniaVix

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hello everyone… scared new owner of a beautiful 6.1 California Ocean, ex demo, so pretty much brand new. Scared because it’s so beautiful and loved by us that it’s intimidating!

Hoping to do our first overnight in it this week. Looking forward to feeling comfortable with it and not avoiding narrow lanes!!

We’re based in Hampshire, UK

Congratulations! Your fear is something we’re very familiar with, but it will soon dissipate!! The advice we had when we first rented one, was to do everything slowly, and don’t force anything - if it doesn’t move easily you’re doing something wrong! Apart from the plastic clips in the awning legs, which feel like you’re going to break them when locking upwards :eek:

Enjoy your camping !

Probably don’t use Waze for a couple of months. It sends you down crazy lanes. Google Maps seems less of a wild ride!

Congratulations! Your fear is something we’re very familiar with, but it will soon dissipate!! The advice we had when we first rented one, was to do everything slowly, and don’t force anything - if it doesn’t move easily you’re doing something wrong! Apart from the plastic clips in the awning legs, which feel like you’re going to break them when locking upwards :eek:

Enjoy your camping !
Thank you Hawthorn. Very excited to be part of the Cali family

They're extremely easy to drive; other than being a bit wider (and it is only a bit) than a typical car, they're otherwise very easy to get down narrow lanes as the visibility is so good, they're a box so easy to reverse (unlike some cars with bulges and curves that deceive where the vehicle is pointing) and have a surprisingly good turning circle. As above, the same principles apply when driving as they do with all the bits and pieces inside; take it easy. You're supposed to be on holiday anyway!

Lovely looking van too. :cool:

Welcome. I can recall picking mine up from Breeze Southampton and taking a wrong turn. I ended up on a narrow lane with overhanging trees. The fear was real, now I fling her around confidently.

Welcome. I can recall picking mine up from Breeze Southampton and taking a wrong turn. I ended up on a narrow lane with overhanging trees. The fear was real, now I fling her around confidently.
Looking forward to that!

Scared because it’s so beautiful and loved by us that it’s intimidating!
Hi, welcome to the forum. Nice colour (even if I am biased).
I was the same and decided to have paint protection film applied to the front end and wing mirrors, and ceramic coated the rest, at Azuri. Highly recommended. Resists chips and scratches and makes it a doddle to keep it as clean as yours is now!
Enjoy it!

Welcome. I love the colour! Mine is 7 years old and it's only this year I have become a little less precious about my van so - I concur with the fear facto. I still don't allow red wine at festivals though -

Hello everyone… scared new owner of a beautiful 6.1 California Ocean, ex demo, so pretty much brand new. Scared because it’s so beautiful and loved by us that it’s intimidating!

Hoping to do our first overnight in it this week. Looking forward to feeling comfortable with it and not avoiding narrow lanes!!

We’re based in Hampshire, UK
Hi, Yep, I fully understand how you’re feeling. Picked up our Cali Ocean a few weeks ago. It’s currently in our garden and my husband and I are planning to sleep in it tonight at long last. It’s all very precious at the moment. The new smell and the sparkling surfaces and just being worried about doing something wrong is a bit overwhelming. Have wanted a camper for so many years, still can’t quite believe we’ve got one. Have bought loads of accessories that we probably don’t really need but hey … that’s part of the fun. My one is ascot grey and candy white with the chrome pack - called her Betty ! Looking forward to spur of the moment road trips. Do you have camping plans yet for the summer? I’m now a proud owner of a Porto Potti for a bit of wild(ish) camping!

Hi, Yep, I fully understand how you’re feeling. Picked up our Cali Ocean a few weeks ago. It’s currently in our garden and my husband and I are planning to sleep in it tonight at long last. It’s all very precious at the moment. The new smell and the sparkling surfaces and just being worried about doing something wrong is a bit overwhelming. Have wanted a camper for so many years, still can’t quite believe we’ve got one. Have bought loads of accessories that we probably don’t really need but hey … that’s part of the fun. My one is ascot grey and candy white with the chrome pack - called her Betty ! Looking forward to spur of the moment road trips. Do you have camping plans yet for the summer? I’m now a proud owner of a Porto Potti for a bit of wild(ish) camping!
Would like to see a photo of your grey/white/chrome Cali…

Yay!! It’s so exciting!

We’ve just had our first night away and it was fabulous. Although we forgot to take pillows and our mattress topper didn’t arrive in time so last night was mighty uncomfortable.

We haven’t gone down the port -a- potty route yet but I think we probably will.

Yes, yes, yes we were exactly the same. It’s ‘daunting’ those first few weeks of ownership. Let’s face it, our vans are very complex beasties, some may say ‘beauties’, but after four years of ownership and a few wee ‘oops’ shouldn’t have done that ….. again, you learn to use it as VW , or should I say god intended…. fun , enjoy the journey

Yay!! It’s so exciting!

We’ve just had our first night away and it was fabulous. Although we forgot to take pillows and our mattress topper didn’t arrive in time so last night was mighty uncomfortable.

We haven’t gone down the port -a- potty route yet but I think we probably will.
Oh no, did make me giggle that you forgot your pillows. We camped last night (still in garden ) so no excuse in forgetting anything. We have 2 Goldendoodles who were rather perplexed at sleeping in the small space with us in their garden. We had one in the top bunk with me and the big one below with my husband. Got about 3 hours sleep so counting that as a win … it can only get easier! Off up to Worcester next weekend for cricket and camping so hopefully we’ll have it in the bag by then … unlike the pesky pop up changing tent that refuses to fold away in its bag x

Yes, yes, yes we were exactly the same. It’s ‘daunting’ those first few weeks of ownership. Let’s face it, our vans are very complex beasties, some may say ‘beauties’, but after four years of ownership and a few wee ‘oops’ shouldn’t have done that ….. again, you learn to use it as VW , or should I say god intended…. fun , enjoy the journey
Thank you

So glad we’re not alone!