Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Z

Zephyr

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hello to all members. I've been reading your forum recently and decided to join thanks to all the useful information I've picked up.
I have a GC680 on order with build date in the middle of February. I have switched from caravanning and am looking to get advice on a number of issues. Is the owners handbook available online? I thought it would be useful to read prior to collecting my GC.
Random questions:
How best to deal with condensation on the cab windows overnight?
Where do I get straps and fittings to secure folding bikes with the rails fitted under the bed?
How can I fit a second leisure battery into the GC?
Is there a gas point for using a Cadac outside the van?
Brandrup or VW carpets for living area? What's best for the cab floor?

Hi Wisp
We took delivery of our new 680 yesterday. Didnt see any manuals with it, but i did find some great you tube videos by California Chris, who covers a lot of the different parts of the grand cali. They are great videos, very informative and easy to follow - a good startinig point. Our van is on storage but we are going back next week for a proper play - Covid allowing!!!!
Good luck with your new van

Hello to all members. I've been reading your forum recently and decided to join thanks to all the useful information I've picked up.
I have a GC680 on order with build date in the middle of February. I have switched from caravanning and am looking to get advice on a number of issues. Is the owners handbook available online? I thought it would be useful to read prior to collecting my GC.
Random questions:
How best to deal with condensation on the cab windows overnight?
Where do I get straps and fittings to secure folding bikes with the rails fitted under the bed?
How can I fit a second leisure battery into the GC?
Is there a gas point for using a Cadac outside the van?
Brandrup or VW carpets for living area? What's best for the cab floor?
Hi and welcome, I can shed some advice on some of your queries and add a few.

Handbook, You should have received one mainly Crafter orientated but GC supplement, chase dealer.

Condensation, do not open the VW supplied one as on 80k + van its total crap. you will always get condensation with internal screen covers. I find the external thermal screen covers work best. Rainbow screens are very good, there are a few others out there but you get what you pay for.
Tie down belt fitting is a VW accessory £35
Leisure Batterie, the spec says provision made for second battery, when you find out please let me know.
Gas/Cadac, I had Gaslow fitted meaning you own the bottles and you simply fill them in situ at a petrol station that has LPG but only £.067 per liter, great when traveling Europe. At the same time had an internal Truma hook up tap installed for the Cadac on the face of the gas cabinet facing you as you open the rear doors. Didn't want to drill the side panel of the van.

Carpet, I believe Branrup make the carpets for VW think they sell them in the club shop.I had mine made as on the previous van had Branrup and they kind of mult. Also had a rubber mat made for the boot/garage area stops things sliding around. Cab floor VW rubber mats

You may wish to also consider fitted sheets and seat covers also from the club shop, but don't hang around as there are shortages of all these things.

What part of the country are you and when did you order yours.

Anyway thats enough for now I'm sure.

Will

Last edited:
:welcome
To minimise condensation try using window deflectors so you can have the windows open a bit for ventilation and / or the ventilation grills that can fit the front windows (assuming the door / window is the same shape as the T6 etc).

Hi Wisp
We took delivery of our new 680 yesterday. Didnt see any manuals with it, but i did find some great you tube videos by California Chris, who covers a lot of the different parts of the grand cali. They are great videos, very informative and easy to follow - a good startinig point. Our van is on storage but we are going back next week for a proper play - Covid allowing!!!!
Good luck with your new van
Thank you Moonlight Motel. We have viewed a number of California Chris's videos and found them very helpful. Best wishes with your GC, I'll be interested to know how you get on with it.

Hi and welcome, I can shed some advice on some of your queries and add a few.

Handbook, You should have received one mainly Crafter orientated but GC supplement, chase dealer.

Condensation, do not open the VW supplied one as on 80k + van its total crap. you will always get condensation with internal screen covers. I find the external thermal screen covers work best. Rainbow screens are very good, there are a few others out there but you get what you pay for.
Tie down belt fitting is a VW accessory £35
Leisure Batterie, the spec says provision made for second battery, when you find out please let me know.
Gas/Cadac, I had Gaslow fitted meaning you own the bottles and you simply fill them in situ at a petrol station that has LPG but only £.067 per liter, great when traveling Europe. At the same time had an internal Truma hook up tap installed for the Cadac on the face of the gas cabinet facing you as you open the rear doors. Didn't want to drill the side panel of the van.

Carpet, I believe Branrup make the carpets for VW think they sell them in the club shop.I had mine made as on the previous van had Branrup and they kind of mult. Also had a rubber mat made for the boot/garage area stops things sliding around. Cab floor VW rubber mats

You may wish to also consider fitted sheets and seat covers also from the club shop, but don't hang around as there are shortages of all these things.

What part of the country are you and when did you order yours.

Anyway thats enough for now I'm sure.

Will
Hello Will,
Thank you for your helpful reply. How do your new carpets compare with the Brandrup ones. I only need gas for cooking, I've opted for diesel heating. I was thinking of using a 5kg calor light propane bottle.

:welcome
To minimise condensation try using window deflectors so you can have the windows open a bit for ventilation and / or the ventilation grills that can fit the front windows (assuming the door / window is the same shape as the T6 etc).
Hello Alison,
Thank you for the suggestions. I never experienced condensation problems in my caravans because all the windows were double glazed. I'm sure I will adapt. The screens provided by VW don't seem to be highly regarded.
Alan

Hello Will,
Thank you for your helpful reply. How do your new carpets compare with the Brandrup ones. I only need gas for cooking, I've opted for diesel heating. I was thinking of using a 5kg calor light propane bottle.
Hi I had it templated and the edges whipped it’s more rug like and rubber backed so no fluff. Very easy to clean and not grey or black.
Good news for you as you’ve gone for diesel you can turn that cupboard into even more storage.
Did you opt for the WiFi ? When did you order.
Will

Hello Will,

Didn't opt for WiFi, I try to get away from it when we travel from home. I have managed with my iphone in the past. What are your thoughts on the subject?
We ordered on 2nd December. Have been told build date is 15 Feb and likely to be available end of March.

Alan

Hello Will,

Didn't opt for WiFi, I try to get away from it when we travel from home. I have managed with my iphone in the past. What are your thoughts on the subject?
We ordered on 2nd December. Have been told build date is 15 Feb and likely to be available end of March.

Alan
Hi Alan,

I have it currently in my 600 it’s fantastically strong. Great signal as has an independent antenna we also use a 30 day unlimited Vodafone sim so connected all the time and in areas the phone struggles with. So use it for Tv via iPad as and when ie sky/Netflix & freeview.

That’s a great delivery date, who is your dealer or location.

What colour did you opt for out of interest.

Will

Thank you Moonlight Motel. We have viewed a number of California Chris's videos and found them very helpful. Best wishes with your GC, I'll be interested to know how you get on with it.
Thanks Wisp, we cant wait to get started. We got a left hand drive and plan to escape to the continent at the end of May - al going well. We are planning on staying away until early october with no definite plans, so will see where we end up!! The joys of early retirement

Thanks Wisp, we cant wait to get started. We got a left hand drive and plan to escape to the continent at the end of May - al going well. We are planning on staying away until early october with no definite plans, so will see where we end up!! The joys of early retirement
Hi Alan,

I have it currently in my 600 it’s fantastically strong. Great signal as has an independent antenna we also use a 30 day unlimited Vodafone sim so connected all the time and in areas the phone struggles with. So use it for Tv via iPad as and when ie sky/Netflix & freeview.

That’s a great delivery date, who is your dealer or location.

What colour did you opt for out of interest.

Will
Hello Will,

We are buying through a dealer in Sussex. We shall have to wait and see if the predicted date becomes a reality. We have chosen the Indium Grey paintwork.

Alan

That sounds like a great plan. Many years ago we travelled in a small car, with a tent, all the way down to Greece and then came back back through what was then Yugoslavia. We visited 9 countries in August. It would be nice to do it in style like you guys are planning. I hope the pandemic won't affect your plans. All being well, we shall stick to UK this year, maybe visit our european neighbours on the 'emerald isle'.
Make the most of your retirement. Carpe diem.

Alan

thanks Alan

We are nearly tempted to go anyway. We were in France in September 2020 for other reasons and took a sneaky week in a mobile home on the west coast and it was extremely quite and the weather was amazing

Hello Will,

We are buying through a dealer in Sussex. We shall have to wait and see if the predicted date becomes a reality. We have chosen the Indium Grey paintwork.

Alan

That sounds like a great plan. Many years ago we travelled in a small car, with a tent, all the way down to Greece and then came back back through what was then Yugoslavia. We visited 9 countries in August. It would be nice to do it in style like you guys are planning. I hope the pandemic won't affect your plans. All being well, we shall stick to UK this year, maybe visit our european neighbours on the 'emerald isle'.
Make the most of your retirement. Carpe diem.

Alan
Morning Alan,

Snap. I have also gone for the Indium Gray for the 680. Just awaiting a build date. Hope they stick to the date as you will be doing some prep before setting off

Morning Alan,

Snap. I have also gone for the Indium Gray for the 680. Just awaiting a build date. Hope they stick to the date as you will be doing some prep before setting off
Breeze
Do you have a 600 already?

And you are changing to a 680? Interested to hear why?
Well like you we intend to tour a lot and feel the 680 has more storage space although the storage over the cab will be a tad smaller sure we will miss that. Funny the load capacity is smaller, currently around 800kg and the 680 about 600 but that should do. Just awaiting a build date like everyone else on here. How are you getting on with yours.

We took delivery on Friday last but our driveway isnt quite big enough for the 680 and the car to fit comfortably, so we brought it to a storage place about 50k from the house. We didnt have the time to play properly then so are hoping to get back down later this week if we can, but Covid is playing ahvoc with everyones plans at the moment. We are seriously excited about heading off in it later in the year and as I said plan to spend a few months a year touring europe. Our plan is to go and leave the van wherever we finish, fly home for the winter and pick back up the next summer

We took delivery on Friday last but our driveway isnt quite big enough for the 680 and the car to fit comfortably, so we brought it to a storage place about 50k from the house. We didnt have the time to play properly then so are hoping to get back down later this week if we can, but Covid is playing ahvoc with everyones plans at the moment. We are seriously excited about heading off in it later in the year and as I said plan to spend a few months a year touring europe. Our plan is to go and leave the van wherever we finish, fly home for the winter and pick back up the next summer
Morning MM,
Sounds exciting ie your travel plans, you might wish to check with your insurers about leaving your GC overseas as quite a few insurers say the van should not be left any more than 3 days. guess you have already been buy bits and bobs already if not get started as stock is running low.

Will

Morning MM,
Sounds exciting ie your travel plans, you might wish to check with your insurers about leaving your GC overseas as quite a few insurers say the van should not be left any more than 3 days. guess you have already been buy bits and bobs already if not get started as stock is running low.

Will
Will
Good morning, thanks for the heads up but have already cleared it with insurance company. As long as they pre approve the winter storage they will cover us.
we are moving from a boat to the van so have some equipment but there is plenty more to buy!! Still nice to be buying for holidays in January