Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New ocean Flat Batteries after leaving 12 days

K

KB of lancashire

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just flown in last night, returned from a 12 day holiday, left the brand new ocean less than 2 months old on the drive , tried to start it nothing just about opened the drives door, every battery drained, AA came out ( via vw ) jumped started it on the drive and told me to leave it running 30 minutes then take it for a spin , this morning it stared left it running again , but the pop top screen as I call it was still not working , again called vw this time a VW technician came out within 30 minutes great service , but he was not used to the oceans , however, after looking through his company’s blog it appears this battery flattening has happened a few time and a software update has been issued.
Luckily after removing some fuses and updating the software life appeared , but I needed to charge the leisure batteries which were completely flat, I’ve been charging them via the 240volt plug in , seems to be doing the trick up to 20 hours in battery now
But it took a good 30 minutes of charging before the screen came back as normal. Has anyone else had this issue ?
He mentioned if left for a period of time the pop top screen can come back on and drains everything,
I was under the impression the leisure batteries were independent and although charged from the engine , if anything like a fridge was left on the leisure battles would drain but the car battery would not , always having enough power to start up
Had anyone got experience of this ?

Just flown in last night, returned from a 12 day holiday, left the brand new ocean less than 2 months old on the drive , tried to start it nothing just about opened the drives door, every battery drained, AA came out ( via vw ) jumped started it on the drive and told me to leave it running 30 minutes then take it for a spin , this morning it stared left it running again , but the pop top screen as I call it was still not working , again called vw this time a VW technician came out within 30 minutes great service , but he was not used to the oceans , however, after looking through his company’s blog it appears this battery flattening has happened a few time and a software update has been issued.
Luckily after removing some fuses and updating the software life appeared , but I needed to charge the leisure batteries which were completely flat, I’ve been charging them via the 240volt plug in , seems to be doing the trick up to 20 hours in battery now
But it took a good 30 minutes of charging before the screen came back as normal. Has anyone else had this issue ?
He mentioned if left for a period of time the pop top screen can come back on and drains everything,
I was under the impression the leisure batteries were independent and although charged from the engine , if anything like a fridge was left on the leisure battles would drain but the car battery would not , always having enough power to start up
Lots of questions. Will try one by one.
1 - You starter battery should not have drained in 12 days. There must be a draw on them somewhere. Have you anything fitted to them - dashcam, tracker?
2 - The upper screen will not come back on and therefore will not drain your battery. If it did it would but it does not.
3 - 30 minutes of charging to get them to come on is normal. The EHU will charge your leisures and then trickle charge your starter. The alternator will charge the starter first. You can also put max charge on to speed things up a little.
4 - There is no connection between your leisure's and starter - your assumption is right, a fridge would kill the leisures eventually but not the starter.
5 - Your leisures should also not have been flat, unless you left a rear or cupboard light on (easy to do) or your fridge on.

Last edited:
If it’s on your drive, probably worth plugging in the EHU lead for 24hrs. That should charge everything up properly.

hi i had the same thing but it was because my wife left the boot open it hadn't fully shut on the power close very easy to do

Thanks for your quick reply
I’ve not fitted anything to the van no dash cam and I’m aware of the lights and how easy they can be left on but before I locked the van I had checked things
It’s only when the vw man checked through his messages on his computer and commented on this battery flattening being an issue and a that a software update had been issued to combat the issue I thought I’d post something.
But like you I’d read the books and the car battery should not have gone flat even if the leisure ones went flat
But Im glad you mentioned it can take some time to get the screen to come back
everything is now back to normal

Thanks for your quick reply
I’ve not fitted anything to the van no dash cam and I’m aware of the lights and how easy they can be left on but before I locked the van I had checked things
It’s only when the vw man checked through his messages on his computer and commented on this battery flattening being an issue and a that a software update had been issued to combat the issue I thought I’d post something.
But like you I’d read the books and the car battery should not have gone flat even if the leisure ones went flat
But Im glad you mentioned it can take some time to get the screen to come back
everything is now back to normal
The software update conversation just sounds like a AA mechanic bluffing an answer tbh to give an explanation. Glad all ok. I’d double check lights again. Lost count of the times I have left one one. Does my head in.

The software update conversation just sounds like a AA mechanic bluffing an answer tbh to give an explanation. Glad all ok. I’d double check lights again. Lost count of the times I have left one one. Does my head in.
Also worth checking the wardrobe light. We’ve had a couple of instances where it has stayed on after closing the door, because we’ve caught the little sensor when taking things out from the wardrobe.

Have some light bed time reading on my last 4 weeks.
Short story: My 2x lesuire Batts are okay.
My starter isn’t holding charge well.
My fear is if I did leave it for 2 weeks it would be less than 11.8v

I am booked into VW Birmingham on Monday morning for them to check the starter motor Battery.

Long story :
Thread 'Cube fuse & Leisure batterys & Solar'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cube-fuse-leisure-batterys-solar.50150/

Lots of questions. Will try one by one.
1 - You starter battery should not have drained in 12 days. There must be a draw on them somewhere. Have you anything fitted to them - dashcam, tracker?
2 - The upper screen will not come back on and therefore will not drain your battery. If it did it would but it does not.
3 - 30 minutes of charging to get them to come on is normal. The EHU will charge your leisures and then trickle charge your starter. The alternator will charge the starter first. You can also put max charge on to speed things up a little.
4 - There is no connection between your leisure's and starter - your assumption is right, a fridge would kill the leisures eventually but not the starter.
5 - Your leisures should also not have been flat, unless you left a rear or cupboard light on (easy to do) or your fridge on.
#4 There is a connection between Lesuire and starter. The split charge relay under passenger seat. It engages when the ignition is switched on. And also when the EHU cable is plugged in.

Could be a bad batch of starter motor batterys.
Could be split charge relay is having a moment.

I also need to ask VW B’ham why my fridge shuts off after 5 days.
Both my lesuire’s on 13v.
I have 360w & 50v of Solar now and no idea why my fridge shut off.
There are some weird electronic things in these 6.1’s

#4 There is a connection between Lesuire and starter. The split charge relay under passenger seat. It engages when the ignition is switched on. And also when the EHU cable is plugged in.

Could be a bad batch of starter motor batterys.
Could be split charge relay is having a moment.

I have 360w & 50v of Solar now and no idea why my fridge shut off.
There are some weird electronic things in these 6.1’s
I did think of the split relay but it wasn’t worth mentioning IMHO as it just made the response more complex for no real need and is highly unlikely to be the OPs issue. It’s pretty easy to check with a voltmeter and the ignition key. Even if it was “stuck on” it would have just equalised the batteries. There would still have to be a draw to flatten them. I’d have to check that it goes on with EHU. Thought it was ignition activated and for charging leisures from alternator only.

Last edited:
I did think of the split relay but it wasn’t worth mentioning IMHO as it just made the response more complex for no real need and is highly unlikely to be the OPs issue. It’s pretty easy to check with a voltmeter and the ignition key. Even if it was “stuck on” it would have just equalised the batteries. There would still have to be a draw to flatten them. I’d have to check that it goes on with EHU. Thought it was ignition activated and for charging leisures from alternator only.
It’s in the manual, states, whilst on EHU, charge Lesuire and trickles starter. (Which I didn’t know about either, and VW Cali Tech at Droitwich didn’t know either!)
I have a strange draw on my starter motor also.
Done all I can to investigate.
Up to VW B’ham to check the discharge rate now

It’s in the manual, states, whilst on EHU, charge Lesuire and trickles starter. (Which I didn’t know about either, and VW Cali Tech at Droitwich didn’t know either!)
I have a strange draw on my starter motor also.
Done all I can to investigate.
Up to VW B’ham to check the discharge rate now
I know (I posted the picture :) and have verified it via a flat battery) but I'm not 100% sure how it does that technically. I saw only one response through searching that this was via the relay, but I'd need to check with the meter as all other relay feedback is that its ignition and alternator to leisure, not the other way around. I guess it could make sense, but equally there may be another cable from the EHU power control unit above the rear battery that trickle charges the starter.

My fridge also turned off twice during a my first 2 week trip to France. I don't have any mods like solar panels. Batteries always above 50% capacity. Thermostat set to level 2. I have the upgraded AGM engine battery.

Will get the dealer take a look when I go in for a service. The list of items is slowly growing.

My fridge also turned off twice during a my first 2 week trip to France. I don't have any mods like solar panels. Batteries always above 50% capacity. Thermostat set to level 2. I have the upgraded AGM engine battery.

Will get the dealer take a look when I go in for a service. The list of items is slowly growing.
Regarding the fridge going off after 2 days - Don't suppose it coincided with you touching the control panel to wake the panel, to check on battery status did it? Been a few reports of this - Including me in this post.

Was also mentioned in one of Will's CaliforniaTime now CamperVanTime YT vids.

No battery issue, just goes off for now reason and will power straight back on again when requested.

Just wondered if your experience was the same?

I know (I posted the picture :) and have verified it via a flat battery) but I'm not 100% sure how it does that technically. I saw only one response through searching that this was via the relay, but I'd need to check with the meter as all other relay feedback is that its ignition and alternator to leisure, not the other way around. I guess it could make sense, but equally there may be another cable from the EHU power control unit above the rear battery that trickle charges the starter.
Thanks for the Pic !
I can’t believe there is another cable….
Would like a VW Cali tech to investigate…
Maybe some electronic tomfoolery that tells the split charge relay to close.
Thus, why the OP could have had all 3 Batts discharged. As the ET (electronic tomfoolery ) could have closed the split charge and whatever drain he had, was discharging all 3 :thumb

Regarding the fridge going off after 2 days - Don't suppose it coincided with you touching the control panel to wake the panel, to check on battery status did it? Been a few reports of this - Including me in this post.

No battery issue, just goes off for now reason and will power straight back on again when requested.

Its possible. Caught me unawares first time so I have no idea if it was something I did inadvertently.

My California not been used since Sunday.
Fridge been on for 3 days!
Friday to Sunday. Used California on Saturday for 6 hour drive.
Monday afternoon saw fridge off.
Hadn’t opened the doors or touched control panel.
How bizarre.
Batterys on 12.6v this morning at 08:00

My California not been used since Sunday.
Fridge been on for 3 days!
Friday to Sunday. Used California on Saturday for 6 hour drive.
Monday afternoon saw fridge off.
Hadn’t opened the doors or touched control panel.
How bizarre.
Batterys on 12.6v this morning at 08:00
Yeah - was kinda hoping it was a software fault that would have been addressed by now - You just get paranoid and keep checking it.

Does seem interesting , all the various electrical/electronic problems people have been having on the T6.1 with the new Control Panel and its centralised control of so many functions. Makes me wonder why they introduced such a significant change in the last of the VW Transporter based Californias, unless the system was designed for the next generation California and shoehorned into the T6.1 as a real world test bed.

Thanks for the Pic !
I can’t believe there is another cable….
Would like a VW Cali tech to investigate…
Maybe some electronic tomfoolery that tells the split charge relay to close.
Thus, why the OP could have had all 3 Batts discharged. As the ET (electronic tomfoolery ) could have closed the split charge and whatever drain he had, was discharging all 3 :thumb
Maybe but there still would have had to be a draw and we are making an assumption for a failed relay, which is a leap IMHO. Usually the simplest answer is the right one, they had two lights on.

Yeah - was kinda hoping it was a software fault that would have been addressed by now - You just get paranoid and keep checking it.
We have had the fridge go off once (on EHU), and yup, we do check the console more often now. Never happened again though.

Does seem interesting , all the various electrical/electronic problems people have been having on the T6.1 with the new Control Panel and its centralised control of so many functions. Makes me wonder why they introduced such a significant change in the last of the VW Transporter based Californias, unless the system was designed for the next generation California and shoehorned into the T6.1 as a real world test bed.
I do like the control panel, it’s a nice feature.
My only issues at the moment are
Fridge turns off on its own after 3 / 5 / 7 days.
(Weird it’s not an even number….)
I can’t see the fridge as being a biggy, as when we will be camping out, it will be something the eye is drawn to when in and around the California at mornings and evenings.

And the starter battery losing 40% charge over 3 to 5 days.

Everything else about the vehicle, I absolutely Love !

Back