Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Batteries

Brownbetty

Brownbetty

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everyone, I would like to trickle charge my engine starter battery from my leisure batteries that are connected to a solar panel on the top of the van, the reason is after nine wks away my engine battery was diagnosed dead by the AA & needed replacing, this battery was less than a year old & fully charged when we left luckily it had a five year warranty & was replaced. So what is involved to trickle charge the starter.
My van is a 57 plate se California, all batteries are very new. Thanks

Hi everyone, I would like to trickle charge my engine starter battery from my leisure batteries that are connected to a solar panel on the top of the van, the reason is after nine wks away my engine battery was diagnosed dead by the AA & needed replacing, this battery was less than a year old & fully charged when we left luckily it had a five year warranty & was replaced. So what is involved to trickle charge the starter.
Is there anything plugged into the dash cigarette socket? That would drain the battery even if not switched on.

I use a Ctek charger running from the van inverter which I feed to the starter battery using a male cigarette plug adapter into the ashtray 12v socket. (mine is connected to the starter battery, but do check)
I have solar. I know it’s inefficient to go 240v to 12v but it works as a back up.

No the only thing on was the alarm.
See here. Post 15 , by @Loz onwards.

If you have a split charge relay relay rather than a dc to dc charger (used with smart alternator) and it isn't already dual bias, simply change it. They work both ways i.e. if either battery gets above a certain level e.g. 13.7v the relay closes and also charges the other battery. So when parked up with solar once the leisure batteries get above the voltage specified on the, relay it closes and also chargers your starter battery. They obviously work the other traditional way too, they also still open when the volts are getting too low to protect draining both sets of batteries.

If you have a split charge relay relay rather than a dc to dc charger (used with smart alternator) and it isn't already dual bias, simply change it. They work both ways i.e. if either battery gets above a certain level e.g. 13.7v the relay closes and also charges the other battery. So when parked up with solar once the leisure batteries get above the voltage specified on the, relay it closes and also chargers your starter battery. They obviously work the other traditional way too, they also still open when the volts are getting too low to protect draining both sets of batteries.
Does that mean I could swap the spilt charge relay under the passenger seat of my T5 Cali with something like the link below and it'll do the trick?

Back