Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean - nearly!

Heiney

Heiney

Now upgraded to Heiney 2.0!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
After much deliberation and great input from forum members (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/beach-to-an-ocean-about-to-upgrade-i-think.22405/), we upgraded Heiney (2015 T5 Beach) to Heiney 2.0 (2017 T6 Ocean). Unfortunately, it's been back to the dealer three times already for some really silly stuff:

Picked it up on 12th Jan with 32 miles on the clock , very excited and looking forward to taking him on his first trip away and snapping some lovely photos to share with you all on the forum. Whilst driving home and settling steering wheel angle, a load of mice decided to have a rave in the steering column. We were also hugely disappointed to find a huge foot print shaped stain in the footwell. I work in the industry and know that this sort of stuff can happen, but I must say that after all of the excitement and deliberation (and tears when we pulled away and left 'Old' Heiney at the dealership), it really took the shine off of our lovely brand new Cali to be driving home listening to a load of squeaking (it was SO loud!).

These issues were immediately reported and on 24th Jan, the dealer picked up the van to clean the footwell and find the squeak - the van came back to us still with mucky footwell, now accompanied by mucky finger prints here and there in the cabin, and a lovely set of scratches on the passenger side seat, where they had taken a bit of trim out of the van to find the squeak, but had not protected the seat whilst doing so!

This time, we took a drive to the dealer (the service manager had already gone home for the day), but a phone call followed and on 30th Jan, the dealer collected the van again to have a look at the seat damage, and concurred that it now needs recovering (7 - 10 days). The muck in the footwell is now also due to be cleaned... and the squeak which was supposed to be fixed and we were told was the instrument panel not being correctly clipped in, was actually an arm rest that was rattling.

We've now had to twice cancel our plans for Heiney 2.0's maiden adventure to account for all of the ins and outs of the van, by the time we get it back, we will have had it for a month and not been able to do anything in it! So far, all but the original 32 miles on the clock have been from driving between our house and the dealership.

Am I being overly fussy to think that this is just sloppy work by the dealership? I know that accidents and oversights can happen, but to do so much damage (whilst not even fixing the original problem) is just careless in my opinion.

On the bright side though, I am REALLY looking forward to taking some lovely 'our first adventure' photos of Heiney 2.0 as soon as all of this mess is concluded.

I don't think you are being over fussy at all...
It's a new vehicle that cost a lot of money.
The problem is common so far as I can tell. This is my 6th new vehicle and though I haven't personally returned any so soon after pick up your findings resemble issues found by customers of all makes of cars that I have looked at and my own have made me raise an eyebrow. Perhaps I'm soft. My Cali came with the wrong bike rack, a scratched dash board fascia, small mark on a door mirror and patchy wax coat on the bodywork. I made the dealer aware of the mirror, fascia and then the rack and all have been sorted to my satisfaction with the vehicle still in my possession.
So while you are not alone by any means,it' a shame that dealers (of all makes) are de-sensitised to it even during PDI/Hand over and you need to point the issues out. Score them realistically in the surveys they send you.
I've been happy with the service and after sales provided by SMG but quite how a vehicle is not 100% on hand over I'll never know. They should be. Every single one from a Kia, peugeot, ford, VW to Porsche etc. failing that the sales person should be pointing out the minors to you with apologies and and a plan.

Unfortunately the problem is the mechanics that fix the builders van also fix the California’s.not saying they don’t care but it’s just another van in there eyes.To us it’s our pride and joy and 50odd grands worth
My first cali in 08 went in for earth shunt and came out with oil all over the plastics and dirty footprints and polystyrene all over the carpet.
It’s one trip I don’t like to do back to the dealer

No you are not too fussy. Don't ever think you are. You are a customer and you have worked hard for these moments (joy at being a Cali owner). If it's not right, complain and if you get bad service, complain again, and again......

Can we please have the Dealers name. Or Town where they are at.
Terrible service that is to be sure!!!

Glad to hear that its not just me being a grumpus about it all then! I'm trying to be sympathetic to the fact that as Jay says, the techs are used to working on builders vans day in and day out, so I need to remember this when holding them to the exceptionally high standards that I feel should be required for our new pride and joy!

It was Listers in Coventry; they were really good for us when we bought our Beach there two years ago, which is why we chose to go back to them to buy the Ocean, but so far have been severely disappointed.

I know that its just one of those things and all that, but have to say I feel a bit flat about it all at the minute - especially as the Beach was sold on and picked up by his lovely new owner yesterday and is ready for his new adventures and we still haven't even 'moved in' to Super Heiney (all our camping gear still in boxes in the garage - waiting to find it's home in the new van!). I've not even had a chance to take a photo of the new van with our two dogs yet, so that we can update our avatar!

I am absolutely BUSTING to get out there in him, and the longer that they take sorting him, the more my credit card is getting hammered buying 'things' that I will find that we probably won't need! :)

Sad to hear this I always have such good results from them (once I get through), may be worth asking for Mark I think his name is, really looked after me was a star.

I have always had excellent service from Listers Coventry although a 120 mile round trip. for me'

Staff turnover?

Unfortunately the problem is the mechanics that fix the builders van also fix the California’s.not saying they don’t care but it’s just another van in there eyes.To us it’s our pride and joy and 50odd grands worth

I would say that may be a reason but it's not a good excuse - it simply means poor management and lack of training.

I would say that may be a reason but it's not a good excuse - it simply means poor management and lack of training.
I totally agree I was stating that this is the problem

Well - its been with Listers for over a week now with absolutely no contact or updates at all since last Wednesday, so I would say that its more than just the mechanics that need a bit of training.

We've had the van 4 weeks now and still have yet to spend a night in it (not for a want of trying!!!!). It's really frustrating because if they had just done the PDI properly then none of this would have happened and we would be happily off on our adventures.

Well - its been with Listers for over a week now with absolutely no contact or updates at all since last Wednesday, so I would say that its more than just the mechanics that need a bit of training.

We've had the van 4 weeks now and still have yet to spend a night in it (not for a want of trying!!!!). It's really frustrating because if they had just done the PDI properly then none of this would have happened and we would be happily off on our adventures.

I can feel your frustration from here! Hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction and before the camping season. It’s a special feeling getting your van for the first time, and this must have soured that somewhat. Just think of it as a delayed delivery for now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely not over fussy. I had similar issues with my Range Rover Evoque. The gear box failed within months from new. Had to fight to get it sorted... amazing.. But worse was to come... It came back with new gear box, scratches to the grill, spare bolts in the engine compartment, marks all over the glass, scratches on the piano black interior, engine bay scratches..etc etc... I was fuming and they firstly said they hadnt done it then after complaining to the head office took it back in. At this point the dealer principal was really nice as was the service manager... BUT when they had finished and I got a good look, more marks on the plastics. That was a £50K car.... I just gave up and didnt go back, what would they do next? Their standards dont match mine....

They should employ people who love the brand people who care to do the final PDI and handovers, wouldnt be long before the mechanics etc learned the required standards and perhaps they would keep more customers. I loved my RR but after the issues was pleased to get shot and move into my Cali... I am sure I will at some stage get upset with VW...

Wouldnt you think if you turn up for a service, or whatever and your car is mint, the interior is spotless that the garage would think.... I better look after this one.....

Anyway, just had a cup of coffee in Jenifer, really getting to grips now. This years trip should be so much better than last.... Bring it on...

I can feel your frustration from here! Hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction and before the camping season. It’s a special feeling getting your van for the first time, and this must have soured that somewhat. Just think of it as a delayed delivery for now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delayed delivery indeed! It's been a month today since we dropped off old Heiney and collected new Heiney, and its just gone from bad to worse... It seems that the back office operations at Listers can't get their act together either... the finance payments for BOTH VANS have just come out of our account this morning - you really couldn't make this stuff up!

They've taken Old Heiney, and have sold him on, but did not pay off the finance that was outstanding on him (which was obviously part of the agreement). So in essence, we've been paying for two Calis this month and have had the pleasure of none - go figure!

A VERY stern phone call is about to go their way when they open!

Delayed delivery indeed! It's been a month today since we dropped off old Heiney and collected new Heiney, and its just gone from bad to worse... It seems that the back office operations at Listers can't get their act together either... the finance payments for BOTH VANS have just come out of our account this morning - you really couldn't make this stuff up!

They've taken Old Heiney, and have sold him on, but did not pay off the finance that was outstanding on him (which was obviously part of the agreement). So in essence, we've been paying for two Calis this month and have had the pleasure of none - go figure!

A VERY stern phone call is about to go their way when they open!
:mad:

HEINEY 2.0 IS BACK!!!!!

After a whinge on Monday following the finance cock up, Listers Coventry genuinely could not have been more helpful. I'm really pleased that they came good, as I was as surprised as a lot of the other people on here with the initial problems, as we have always found them to be very helpful. They've worked their tails off to get Heiney 2.0 sorted and back to us, and even threw in a couple of extras as a way of apology for the lack of updates and for taking so long.

We are genuinely chuffed to bits, and were even more excited about picking him up this time than we were the first time! Think we might sleep in him on the drive this evening and can't wait to get out there for our first 'proper' adventure in him.

So here he is, in all his glory - introducing Heiney 2.0!

upload_2018-2-15_14-2-19.png

upload_2018-2-15_14-2-45.png

upload_2018-2-15_14-3-4.png

That is a happy ending indeed. Now go and enjoy! :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk