Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie Cali Owners - some advice please???

Bay73

Bay73

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello Everyone,

We have just purchased our very first California - we have called her Bay (my parents had a 1972 Bay that we toured in as children) she is a silver, 2013 reg, 140 DSG beauty!

All the family are very excited and the children are desperate to go on their very first adventure. Problem is my husband and I are a little bit intimated by this very complex piece of machinery. We bought her from a VW commercial van dealership, not a dealership with a Cali licence, so our hand-over was possibly a little lacking in some of the detail!

I've just been trying to fit the Gas bottle but I think there maybe some bits missing as what we have in our van is not the same as the picture in the manual. I have attached a photo of what we have. Could any of you lovely folk tell me what, if anything, I am missing??

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm sure there will be many more question but if you have any top tips for new owners they would be very, very welcome.

Let the adventures begin...

Andie x

photo.jpg

There should be another valve supplied by dealer that screws into the 907 gas bottle then the bit you photos screws into that :hello

If you type in the forum search gas tap fitments you will find some more details and photos. In the past others have not been given the valve/tap by the dealer they go back to dealer who will get get them the propper one ( I would not try and pick a non standard one up from your local camping shop as I have heard people having leak problems)

We took are van to a big car park int he new forest and tried all the bits it takes a while but once you have done it a few times its will go like clockwork :hello

Thank you Andy - just spoken to the dealership (Greenhous in Bilston) who have been really helpful. They've identified whats missing from my photo and are ordering me one in.

Thanks again. Andie x

Hi

I see you are a VIP member, go to the vip section and there are checklists there for you to download and print to check what is (or what is not in your van). If your dealer is not used to selling Californias, they will be in the dark as much as you!

Yes - pre sales checks could have poss been a bit more thorough but no harm done. I think they are in the process of learning about the Cali as much as we are - the good thing is they have a great attitude when it comes to sorting bits and bobs out for me.

Have got the checklists printed out from the download section so thanks for the tip - am busy working my way through them now. Would have been good to have them last Saturday!

Andie x