Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Now waiting for our Cali in New Zealand - some advice please!

E

Emile W

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi guys,

Greetings from NZ!

We have placed our order in for a new Ocean Blue which is due to arrive in Christchurch the 1st week of Dec. Big decision to make - saying bye to my sport car life and welcome to the new Cali that can cater some outstanding family time around the country!

We have 2 quick questions here and trust people can help! Surely those live in NZ!

1. Our Cali arrives on the 5th of Dec and required 2 weeks of prep time - according to local dealer, so should we register in Jan which will make it a 19 vehicle? Personally we dont mind to have it on the road in Dec/18.
2. NZ accessories for Calis seem to be very limited, what would be a good online shop to get accessories such as roof top cover and thule side screen etc?

Appreciate your help guys!

Emile & Dandan

Welcome,
Why wait until January?
It is a debate I had with myself when due to pick up on the 8th December last year. If anybody is really moved by a Jan 2019 registered vehicle over a December 2018 a few years down the line should you wish to move the vehicle on then .......I'd prefer another buyer.
Sorry can't help with accessories.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Welcome,
Why wait until January?
It is a debate I had with myself when due to pick up on the 8th December last year. If anybody is really moved by a Jan 2019 registered vehicle over a December 2018 a few years down the line should you wish to move the vehicle on then .......I'd prefer another buyer.
Sorry can't help with accessories.

Thanks! It was more of an argument to myself too... We will take normal delivery date, having some fun over Xmas holidays would be great!

Welcome to the forum. In the uk 19 reg vehicles do make a difference in price on resale. But as you are coming into summer just get out and enjoy it.

Hi guys,

Greetings from NZ!

We have placed our order in for a new Ocean Blue which is due to arrive in Christchurch the 1st week of Dec. Big decision to make - saying bye to my sport car life and welcome to the new Cali that can cater some outstanding family time around the country!

We have 2 quick questions here and trust people can help! Surely those live in NZ!

1. Our Cali arrives on the 5th of Dec and required 2 weeks of prep time - according to local dealer, so should we register in Jan which will make it a 19 vehicle? Personally we dont mind to have it on the road in Dec/18.
2. NZ accessories for Calis seem to be very limited, what would be a good online shop to get accessories such as roof top cover and thule side screen etc?

Emile & Dandan
Welcome. Why delay your new life? "Time waits for ............." You know the rest of that line!
:)

Welcome to the forum. In the uk 19 reg vehicles do make a difference in price on resale. But as you are coming into summer just get out and enjoy it.
Not much difference between a Dec and Jan resale price.
Big change is the Match and September plate/year change in UK.

Some German & Dutch (Netherlands) accessory shop sites do International shipping. Could be costly though.

Hi guys,

Greetings from NZ!

Emile & Dandan

Hi and welcome to the forum! I also have found this forum incredibly valuable ... being able to research all things Cali has been gold. We are based in AKL, and have only this week received our new Starlight Blue and White Cali, so looking forward to starting to explore! Re your question on registration ... I think it's simple really - if you want to use it ... get it now versus wait. Xmas is the time to be away in it. Re options, the only place for Cali stuff has been the UK really. (I did put VW rubber mats in the front - as they will be essential IMO. I have not bothered with a Cali topper, as I don't intend on using it in the middle of winter, and if I do we will sleep downstairs. It is certainly not worth buying for our summer! I have purchased some INKA seat covers for the Alcantara seats that I will use 'occasionally', and will see how the first summer goes before looking at Drive away awning options. I did look at the Thule sides etc ... though they take up a lot of room - and I think a drive away awning may offer us more flexibility. Loads of info on this forum as to pros and cons etc. I did get an awning bungee (look it up) - which seems to be a sensible buy. Bottom line is you could spend a fortune on 'stuff' - seems the best advice I have read is to just buy the essentials and go from there ... happy traveling!

Hi and welcome to the forum! I also have found this forum incredibly valuable ... being able to research all things Cali has been gold. We are based in AKL, and have only this week received our new Starlight Blue and White Cali, so looking forward to starting to explore! Re your question on registration ... I think it's simple really - if you want to use it ... get it now versus wait. Xmas is the time to be away in it. Re options, the only place for Cali stuff has been the UK really. (I did put VW rubber mats in the front - as they will be essential IMO. I have not bothered with a Cali topper, as I don't intend on using it in the middle of winter, and if I do we will sleep downstairs. It is certainly not worth buying for our summer! I have purchased some INKA seat covers for the Alcantara seats that I will use 'occasionally', and will see how the first summer goes before looking at Drive away awning options. I did look at the Thule sides etc ... though they take up a lot of room - and I think a drive away awning may offer us more flexibility. Loads of info on this forum as to pros and cons etc. I did get an awning bungee (look it up) - which seems to be a sensible buy. Bottom line is you could spend a fortune on 'stuff' - seems the best advice I have read is to just buy the essentials and go from there ... happy traveling!
Thanks for your reply! Very helpful! Given that we are not taking the kids out in the winter we will leave the popup roof cover out of the list... Can I please ask where did you get your seat covers? international online retailer? Also did you have a tow bar fitted? The factory tow bar is expensive...

Surely will see your Cali in Chch at some stage eh!
Cheers
Emile

Thanks for your reply! Very helpful! Given that we are not taking the kids out in the winter we will leave the popup roof cover out of the list... Can I please ask where did you get your seat covers? international online retailer? Also did you have a tow bar fitted? The factory tow bar is expensive...

Cheers
Emile
Hi Emile - Yep planning to head back to the mainland in the middle of January! I got my seat covers from Inka direct (149 pounds) - https://www.inka-corp.com/. The reason being is that their postage was 29 pounds versus ebay at twice that. I ordered last thursday and they arrived today! They look great, and are quite light, and super easy to put on .... which means I will just keep them in the Cali and take them on and off as required. It is just the two of us, no kids or animals - but I want peace of mind - that I can cover some/all as required. The only challenge is that for the first time ever I got stung with import duty/gst - which was a pain. Yes I got the removable tow bar fitted locally - think it was around $1300. Regards Michael

Cheers
Emile
Hi ... One thing that I was going to mention, as a consideration for NZ roads ....was that I am going to have the front of the Cali wrapped in that clear 3M tape ... so it protects the full bonnet, lights, and grill area etc ... as the last Cali I had did get stone chips etc on the front. I have to say though, that I would put it in the nice to have category - behind a tow bar!

Hi NZ california owners
We are in Rotorua with MY17 California
Got the same seat covers from UK too
Recently imported a ladder for top bed
Have you found the Motorhomes Friends NZ group on Facebook ....nice group
Looking to get a tow bar for our bike rack for e bikes now!

Greetings! Yes, I have also joined the NZ group, some nice photos being posted there too. I am also thinking of a Thule tow bar based rack instead of the factory one, they retail $2680..... i only have one single mountain bike which may get away on the roof rack..
Hi NZ california owners
We are in Rotorua with MY17 California
Got the same seat covers from UK too
Recently imported a ladder for top bed
Have you found the Motorhomes Friends NZ group on Facebook ....nice group
Looking to get a tow bar for our bike rack for e bikes now!

Hi ... One thing that I was going to mention, as a consideration for NZ roads ....was that I am going to have the front of the Cali wrapped in that clear 3M tape ... so it protects the full bonnet, lights, and grill area etc ... as the last Cali I had did get stone chips etc on the front. I have to say though, that I would put it in the nice to have category - behind a tow bar!
Thanks for that! Yes, just contacted the dealership to have a quote as well

Hi Emile - Yep planning to head back to the mainland in the middle of January! I got my seat covers from Inka direct (149 pounds) - https://www.inka-corp.com/. The reason being is that their postage was 29 pounds versus ebay at twice that. I ordered last thursday and they arrived today! They look great, and are quite light, and super easy to put on .... which means I will just keep them in the Cali and take them on and off as required. It is just the two of us, no kids or animals - but I want peace of mind - that I can cover some/all as required. The only challenge is that for the first time ever I got stung with import duty/gst - which was a pain. Yes I got the removable tow bar fitted locally - think it was around $1300. Regards Michael

Thanks Michael! I have alcantara seats optioned, still thinking of getting seat covers or not.. but a bit concerned what my 15 months old.. and a 5 year old can do! (Lucky you :) ) Have asked dealer to quote for tow bar as well.

Hi Emile - we have the same seat covers.... easy on and off and keep spillages from staining the upholstery
There are quite a few UK Cali accessories suppliers which you will find by googling. VW NZ have nothing except the rubber floor mats which are same as transporter

Are you looking at self containment.... I put a connector on the waste water pipe to enable a 3 metre hose, but failed inspection .... told the grey water tank vent needed modifying.... whereas some other NZ owners on this site have passed without that!!

We were in Twizel last July in -7 degrees and didn't need a cali topper....tennage boys upstairs in warm sleeping bags, adults downstairs, heater on, good and warm!!

Regards
Simon

Hi Emile - we have the same seat covers.... easy on and off and keep spillages from staining the upholstery
There are quite a few UK Cali accessories suppliers which you will find by googling. VW NZ have nothing except the rubber floor mats which are same as transporter

Are you looking at self containment.... I put a connector on the waste water pipe to enable a 3 metre hose, but failed inspection .... told the grey water tank vent needed modifying.... whereas some other NZ owners on this site have passed without that!!

We were in Twizel last July in -7 degrees and didn't need a cali topper....tennage boys upstairs in warm sleeping bags, adults downstairs, heater on, good and warm!!

Regards
Simon
Thanks Simon, your Twizel trip sounds promising! btw we travel to Twizel and Tekapo very often for salmon fishing (my wife wouldn't allow me to take Cali down with mates!!). re self cotainment - I may just ask VW dealder to sort it out, maybe easier.... I am in process of sorting out my bike rack now - maybe a Thule tow bar mount one - factory one is way to expensive here.

We caught an 11.5KG rainbow trout (was a fishing trip)

Please let us know how self containment by dealer turns out

Back