Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie Questions

tribloke

tribloke

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Ok some questions:

1. As I'll have a tow bar for the first time, I was interested in what others tow? Is it a trailer for rubbish to the tip or anything else?
2. Ridge Monkeys seem to be purchase number one, but is there anything else worth getting for the kitchen? I have a Cadac to mainly cook outside.
3. Stove kettle, just buy a cheap one or is there a recommended great one which is worth it?
4. Cutlery, I've seen a few but hate rattles, any recommendations?
5. My lady friend has huge reservations about the lack of toilet and proper shower facilities, anything I can do to affirm her fears?
6. What's the current thinking on the pop-up covers? I see almost everyone buys one, any recommendations?
7. Winter tyres, I have an Audi Quattro and a set of Winters, I'm probably going to buy a set for the Cali, any recommendations?
8. Winter walking, I'm planning a Scotland trip for New Year (Torridon), everyone nice and toasty with the heater?
9. Solar panels! I thinking of getting some installed for Off-Grid and avoiding the hook-ups - any thoughts?
10. Mobile internet, I used to use an EE dongle while in my ex-wives families static, but it's been a few years, any good plans/providers?
11. Thanks for reading this far :)

Ok some questions:

1. As I'll have a tow bar for the first time, I was interested in what others tow? Is it a trailer for rubbish to the tip or anything else?
2. Ridge Monkeys seem to be purchase number one, but is there anything else worth getting for the kitchen? I have a Cadac to mainly cook outside.
3. Stove kettle, just buy a cheap one or is there a recommended great one which is worth it?
4. Cutlery, I've seen a few but hate rattles, any recommendations?
5. My lady friend has huge reservations about the lack of toilet and proper shower facilities, anything I can do to affirm her fears?
6. What's the current thinking on the pop-up covers? I see almost everyone buys one, any recommendations?
7. Winter tyres, I have an Audi Quattro and a set of Winters, I'm probably going to buy a set for the Cali, any recommendations?
8. Winter walking, I'm planning a Scotland trip for New Year (Torridon), everyone nice and toasty with the heater?
9. Solar panels! I thinking of getting some installed for Off-Grid and avoiding the hook-ups - any thoughts?
10. Mobile internet, I used to use an EE dongle while in my ex-wives families static, but it's been a few years, any good plans/providers?
11. Thanks for reading this far :)
1. Towbar Bike rack, Altera or Thule can tip to open Tailgate without removing Bicycles.
2. Ridge Monkey Forum Shop .
3. Collapsable Kettle , Forum shop I think. Takes less room.
4. Got a cutlery set + kitchen utensils from Ikea. Fit in cutlery draw. I don't take any special precautions and they don't rattle.
5. We have a Pop Up toilet Tent and a Bog in the Bag stool toilet for nighttime use . No Chemicals, ty up bag into general rubbish.
6. External or Fitted Internal. Your choice. External keeps the canvas dry useful if you cannot raise roof at home to dry out canvas. We have the external but rarely use it except in Winter and not often then.
7. I use Michelin Cross Climate 4 Season tyres. Winters are fine if you live in the North or mountain country. Down south All season tyres are more than adequate.
8. Heater can be left on 24/7 if required. Level 1 or 2 at night more than adequate. Longest we had ours on was 5 + days. Level 1 when out 3 or so when in.
9. Solar Panels good. See https://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk. Roger Donaghue, the owner, is a Forum member. Use the Search function - lots of information. Easily fitted DIY or he can fit himself.
10. I use a Huawei MiFi with a "3" Data sim. Contract or PAYG. I get PAYG off eBay or Amazon and they last for 12 month from activation.
11. Hope this is of help.There are varying views on each point, but my comments work for us. :thumb

So Far
Tow a small trailer for the tip, and a trailer for a small aircraft.
Ridge monkey, not done much too adentures yet but looks promissing
Outwell colapsable kettle...brilliant
Not had any issues with cutlery ratling, got a set from Amazon
Got a pop top cover used once and can see it being useful in the winter, I wont even pack it for summer trips
Heater is really good
Porta loo, so far unused but carried for piece of mind on longer trips.
External windscreen cover (Comforts from the shop) brilliant
Safari sides for the awning not yet used but not been away since buying them, again from the shop.

Back