Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie things to break

C

camper-x

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all,

We pick up our 2009 SE tomorrow, one owner from new, totally standard, full VW history, low miles. How excited are we?!

Can anyone point me at a quick list of idiots pitfalls to avoid? I think we'll head straight out and don't want to break anything to spoil the fun (or add to the purchase price)!

Here's my starter;
  • I already bought a roof bellows protection strap from the forum so will fit that and watch that it works (it stays in place once fitted?)
  • I read about not leaving anything in the roof compartment
  • I know the roof canvas needs to dry out if wet
  • I'll watch the leisure battery performance
  • I gather the stock radio will power off before draining the van battery
  • I have plastic mats in case we get bogged in mud
  • I have wheel ramps to level when parked
  • I gather cracking a window or two is essential to avoid condensation, especially if the roof is down
  • I'll isolate the gas once finished with the hob
  • I think I'm OK with draining the water tanks, I'll fill the fresh before we depart
  • I have the power cable with various fittings on board
  • I'll try not to fill the water with diesel or vice versa
  • I'll be careful with the captains seats so they don't ding the B pillar or door card
  • I'll leave the dog at home but will need a boot liner and living area mats / carpet off cuts
  • I see the hob has a glass lid so presume can put it down on a hot ring as long as extinguished
Any contributions welcome! Thanks all.....

• Wind out awning - lower the legs to support as it goes out and in. Take it down when not supervised? Buy and fit an awning retain strap? Other?

I'm sure there are lots of similar topics on here but do you have a bike rack fitted? Van might fit under a 2m barrier but the bikes won't - we came within a few potentially embarrassing feet of making that mistake...

And in a similar vein to Matt - Make sure the sliding door table is fully secured when you put it back in - not just clicked in.

Or it falls out and dents...

Be careful about shutting the glass worktop onto a just extinguished flame, the rings stay very hot and have been known to shatter the tops. Wait a few minutes after turning the gas off before shutting it :thumb

Critical to make sure you have windows/doors open when lowering the roof to allow the air to escape.
Recipe for trapping the canvas if not.
Plug the hook up lead into the van before plugging into the power point and vice versa when leaving.
Enjoy it.

Work out how to lock the doors when you are in the van for the night without setting the motion detector off (i.e. just press the lock button on the driver's inner door).

Watch when you use the catches on doors and cupboards - I think they're quite flimsy really and need to be treated gently, Also watch for catching boxes, bags, etc, on them when getting stuff out of cupboards.

1) Buy a spare safe to make sure your spare wheel doesn't go missing.
2) I would suggest you look at the videos from California Chris on YouTube. There are 5 or so, all 3-5 minutes and he goes through many of the things you'd like to ask, but don't in case you look silly. He also explains a lot of things we never thought to ask. here is a link to the first one, the rest tend to come up after it:-
3) Another good way of learning is go to one of the Meets around the country. You can then see other people's Calis, ask them what works and what doesn't. Find things that everyone buys and then sells afterwards and so on.

They are fantastic vehicles. You are going to have such fun.

Simon

Hi all,

We pick up our 2009 SE tomorrow, one owner from new, totally standard, full VW history, low miles. How excited are we?!

Can anyone point me at a quick list of idiots pitfalls to avoid? I think we'll head straight out and don't want to break anything to spoil the fun (or add to the purchase price)!

Here's my starter;
  • I already bought a roof bellows protection strap from the forum so will fit that and watch that it works (it stays in place once fitted?)
  • I read about not leaving anything in the roof compartment
  • I know the roof canvas needs to dry out if wet
  • I'll watch the leisure battery performance
  • I gather the stock radio will power off before draining the van battery
  • I have plastic mats in case we get bogged in mud
  • I have wheel ramps to level when parked
  • I gather cracking a window or two is essential to avoid condensation, especially if the roof is down
  • I'll isolate the gas once finished with the hob
  • I think I'm OK with draining the water tanks, I'll fill the fresh before we depart
  • I have the power cable with various fittings on board
  • I'll try not to fill the water with diesel or vice versa
  • I'll be careful with the captains seats so they don't ding the B pillar or door card
  • I'll leave the dog at home but will need a boot liner and living area mats / carpet off cuts
  • I see the hob has a glass lid so presume can put it down on a hot ring as long as extinguished
Any contributions welcome! Thanks all.....
Don't leave the dog at home! Just use and enjoy, if you worry to much your never enjoy it fully!

Pull out the rear leisure battery and check the cube fuse on the terminal is OK. It corrodes and disintegrates. I would just replace it with a 75amp.

Disinfect water system first. Only fill up with enough water for the trip. Always empty both tanks at the end (water is heavy and wastes fuel).

Download the handover checklist from the download section , your are VIP so have acces to it.
;)

If you can, practice using the awning, pop up roof, swivel seats etc at home before you go out on trip. It will lessen the stress of trying to everything right first time leaving you time to enjoy your wonderful camper.

Be careful with the knobs on the camper control panel, they are delicate.
The unit itself is also not long lasting - the display tends to play up. On a 2009 van you will be unlucky if it is still the original unit. Could be the third.

- Be careful swivelling the front seats for the first time. They need to be fully forward & the seat-backs tilted forward, otherwise you end up with a big scratch down the B-pillar ... :embarrased

- My dash cam fell down on my sat-nav screen & made a small scratch ... :embarrased (again)

- Don't worry about it getting dirty inside or out, you're not solely preserving it to present to the next owner pristine. Someone here (I think DM) said something along the lines of "it's only a car, not a tin God" which has become our mantra, even if I don't always mean it ...

- Be careful swivelling the front seats for the first time. They need to be fully forward & the seat-backs tilted forward, otherwise you end up with a big scratch down the B-pillar ... :embarrased

- My dash cam fell down on my sat-nav screen & made a small scratch ... :embarrased (again)

- Don't worry about it getting dirty inside or out, you're not solely preserving it to present to the next owner pristine. Someone here (I think DM) said something along the lines of "it's only a car, not a tin God" which has become our mantra, even if I don't always mean it ...

A tin God! Ha! This i Like very much. Thanks for all the input folks. Collected yesterday. Had a good practice at home last night. Plenty of manuals to read now ;-) The 2.5 hour run home through mixed B roads, A roads and a long stretch of mixed Friday evening M1 traffic resulted in a claimed 38 mpg. Most impressive if true!

IMG_2763.JPG Don't leave the dog. we've bought a soft crate for our dog, it fits great in the living area, he is 14yrs old and we thought he would not take to it. He loves it. He will sleep in this in the awning overnight, which is the next step.

That's excellent. Happy dog ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove the washing up bowel if you are using the gas rings as it can melt if you use a pan that's too large. Suggest that if your pans are quite big use the ring next to the sink as the heat from the left hand burner can effect the fridge. If your pans aren't large there shouldn't be any issues.

Remove the washing up bowel if you are using the gas rings as it can melt if you use a pan that's too large. Suggest that if your pans are quite big use the ring next to the sink as the heat from the left hand burner can effect the fridge. If your pans aren't large there shouldn't be any issues.
As I told my upset wife "don't worry about it I will buy you a new one". I haven't yet.

View attachment 20283 Don't leave the dog. we've bought a soft crate for our dog, it fits great in the living area, he is 14yrs old and we thought he would not take to it. He loves it. He will sleep in this in the awning overnight, which is the next step.

Our dogs absolutely love it too, they would rather be in the van than at home.
Just be mindful if you intend to use the heater that the exhaust fume may go into the awning and will contain Carbon Monoxide If your old buddy is out there may be best to not use the heater imho to avoid any issues.

Back