Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two things...

Ginger&Grey

Ginger&Grey

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Evening all, couple of questions if I may (van in question is a T5):
1. Is the VW bike rack the best option to carry 4 bikes (2 adult, 2 children's)? Or would an alternative be worth considering? And how does this effect the rear sensors?
2. Linked to the above question, is there such a thing as a carry case/box that would sit under the carrier to hold the awning? Or would a roof box be the best option? Just thought with a 2 week trip planned it would be useful to keep as much space inside the van as possible! (We have an 11 year old daughter that seems to pack the whole house up before heading off anywhere!)
Thanks all.

Evening all, couple of questions if I may (van in question is a T5):
1. Is the VW bike rack the best option to carry 4 bikes (2 adult, 2 children's)? Or would an alternative be worth considering? And how does this effect the rear sensors?
2. Linked to the above question, is there such a thing as a carry case/box that would sit under the carrier to hold the awning? Or would a roof box be the best option? Just thought with a 2 week trip planned it would be useful to keep as much space inside the van as possible! (We have an 11 year old daughter that seems to pack the whole house up before heading off anywhere!)
Thanks all.
Just remember the weight of the Bike rack + 4 Bikes + Storage box would all be hanging off the Tailgate.
You will not be able to open the tailgate with that weight on very easily.
If you do manage to open the tailgate then you can easily damage the roof if it is elevated at the time.
You will be restricting where you can go/park because of the increased height with bikes on.
If you plan on visiting Italy, and some other European countries you must have a Reflective - Aluminium - Red Stripped - long load sign on the rack if it extends beyond the rear bumper. Big fine possible if you don't.

In relation to parking sensors, they will still work BUT they will only tell you where the bumper is in relation to any obstacle NOT where the end of the Bike Rack is.

Have you considered a Towbar Bike Rack?

One consideration with a roof box.

If going to France on autoroutes the infra red sensors at the automated tolls may sense that your vehicle is over the 2m and charge you the higher rate tariff.
I was overcharged at one toll last summer and that was without a roofbox. I guess the sensor at that particular toll was playing up but at 2am in the middle of nowhere just had to accept it.

Roofbox will definitely take your Cali over 2m.

Others on the forum who have used a roofbox may know for certain.

Last edited:
If going to France on autoroutes the infra red sensors at the automated tolls may sense that your vehicle is over the 2m and charge you the higher rate tariff.
The usual problem is that the height of the van triggers the ticket to come out of the high slot which is way up high for the truckers - you have to remember to look up to find it and not keep jabbing the button and shouting obscenities thinking the machine is broken...
And every time I questioned whether I was being charged a truck's tariff I've been told no, so I've stopped asking now.

Watch out for the handlebars on the roof when you open the boot!

I would opt for a towball mounted option that drops down to allow access to the boot.

The usual problem is that the height of the van triggers the ticket to come out of the high slot which is way up high for the truckers - you have to remember to look up to find it and not keep jabbing the button and shouting obscenities thinking the machine is broken...
And every time I questioned whether I was being charged a truck's tariff I've been told no, so I've stopped asking now.
Yes---you are correct about the high truckers slot.That's where the ticket has come out on a few occasions even though we have been below 2m.
As they are automated and quite often loads of traffic queing behind I have never been able to question the tariff charged but I suspect that we have been charged the higher rate for vehicles over 2m.
Not really an issue if it occurs only occasionally on short sections but it could mount up on long sections if it happened often or if as the OP the vehicle is fitted with a roofbox which would almost definitely trigger the higher tariff sensor.

With regards to the toll : We normally holiday once a year for the summer holiday in France. Have you tried the SANEF toll tag? There's a small annual fee and usage charge for only the months that it is used, but we wouldn't do without it now. Drive up to the toll booth (slowly) and the barrier beeps and away you go... no trying to find tickets or credit cards & less queues at peak time as you can use the toll tag only lanes (last year they had loads more no height restriction lanes for toll tags only on the autoroutes that we used).

Two things to remember;
1. When they say drive up to the barrier at 30... then remember it kph not mph! :-(
2. Remember not to look at the invoice when you get home to much... you realise how much the tolls can be!

We got ours via the eurotunnel site as a worked out a little cheaper when I looked at it a few years back.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/Sanef-Tolling/

I believe you can contact customer services when you get back to query incorrect billing (ie. charged for higher vehicle class than your vehicle actually is).

Watch out for the handlebars on the roof when you open the boot!

I would opt for a towball mounted option that drops down to allow access to the boot.

Agree with Johnyboy. Towbar is the best option. I had the VW tailgate rack and thought it was a massive PITA. I now have a Strada sliding rack and its awesome:thumb

Back