Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fairly newbie questions

Ricotansky

Ricotansky

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Morning all,

We've had our van since November now and have been enjoying it and the many tips on this forum. But...I have a few questions I haven't been able to answer myself so thought I'd ask the combined knowledge on here. Apologies in advance if they are stupid questions!

1. To clean the water system, you put Milton in the water tank, then drain via the tap in the sink, then empty the waste tank? Is that OK or will it hurt the pump running the tap for so long? Is there a way of draining the main tank directly into the waste tank?

2. Our awning is a bit creaky when the wind catches it when it is open, is that a problem or do they all do that, sir?

3. Is it OK to drain hot water in the sink (e.g. when draining pasta) or will that damage the pipes? I suspect it will be fine but wanted to check before I melt the vans innards!

I think that is all for now, thanks in advance for any answers/advice!

Cheers

Rich

1 - I think running the tap for ages would be bad. What I did last time was Milton in the fresh water tank, and leave it for a while - ideally go for a drive to slosh it about. Then run a bit through the tap to the sink, and onto the waste tank. Then I drain the fresh tank. If you want to do the waste thank then I would add Milton to the sink and let that drain into the waste tank. But I am less fussy with the waste tank :)

2 - The will all make a bit of noise - but when you put it out, roll it out all of the way and then roll some in again as it will add a bit of tension. Also peg down.

3 - We drain pasta into the sink - as pasta water can be a bit gloopy we empty the spare kettle waters down there as well to keep the pipes clear :)

T

Hi Teeboy. Thanks for that! Do you gradually run the miltonny water through the tap in batches then, to save running the tap for too long. I guess that seems to be the most sympathetic way to do it. I'll give it a go!

Hi Ricotansky

You don't need to drain the fresh water tank by running it through the tap. You have a drain tap inside the rear cupboard just above the Gas cylinder storage. Just before you open the drain tap unscrew the fresh water filler cap on the side of the van so that you don't get an air lock. The fresh water will drain via a tube under your vehicle.

If you choose to run the tap in the sink to flush water through, as long as you have water coming through it (ie water in the tank) it's not a problem. It will easily drain a whole tank in one go. It's only when it's run after all the water is drained do problems occur.

Hope that helps

Yep what Scapa said. I just so about 1 sink full via the rap. Then just drain via the drain valve next to the gas cylinder. T

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks, we're going away in the van tomorrow so I shall experiment then!

Back