Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newby in 2021...

M

Mackster

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all,

Having spent a lot of this summer as a passenger in a friends T5 conversion, I decided that I want to get my own van for solo UK trips, and am now in the final stages of putting a deposit down on my Ocean. In terms of the various options, I'm passing on the majority of them for the sake of the 4WD, but will get the larger fuel tank, mud flaps and bellows to match the trim. That said, is there anything that people think is an absolute must have that I need to consider? And also are there any recommended dealer ships out there? I'm based in London, but can travel anywhere to collect.

I'll post updates on this forum over the coming months, as the plan becomes more tangible and gets wheels!

Cheers

Hi all,

Having spent a lot of this summer as a passenger in a friends T5 conversion, I decided that I want to get my own van for solo UK trips, and am now in the final stages of putting a deposit down on my Ocean. In terms of the various options, I'm passing on the majority of them for the sake of the 4WD, but will get the larger fuel tank, mud flaps and bellows to match the trim. That said, is there anything that people think is an absolute must have that I need to consider? And also are there any recommended dealer ships out there? I'm based in London, but can travel anywhere to collect.

I'll post updates on this forum over the coming months, as the plan becomes more tangible and gets wheels!

Cheers
It sounds like you have a good understanding of your priorities. The Ocean already comes highly specced and if you’ve selected 4Motion, you’ve already got the twin turbo engine and DSG? You’ll get a wide variety of opinions on what options to specify (which is why they remain options) If the 4Motion is top of your list, I would consider the diff-lock also. It helps when you don’t have all 4 wheels on the ground and (sometimes) gives you the ability to get yourself out of trouble when 4Motion gets you into trouble.

Hi all,

Cheers
:welcome by the way!

:welcome Welcome and it will be interesting to hear next year how your Cali Ocean compares to your friends T5 conversion...

The coloured bellows isn't an automatic choice. They cast their colour onto the whole interior. Some love it, some hate it.

Our 2008 van was owned for 20 months before we got it by a VW employee who are allowed every single extra. I wouldn’t originally have specked auto but I definitely love it now. Autos work well with Diesel engines I think. I like the tinted glass for a bit of security and privacy. We even have the electric door which I now like but the beeping is annoying. Wish we had 4wd too. Not a lot else.

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the welcome and suggestions. I’d not seen the diff
lock option, which is a must and has rescued me in the past, so will add that. Tinted windows is also worth considering, so thanks for that as well. Re the bellows, tbh that was the only aesthetic option I was allowing myself, and it may well get dropped now if I add the other options.

I’ll post more updates as this develops.

Cheers

Is the tinted glass an option? I don't think I have seen it mentioned anywhere. Agree it might be nice!

Hi and welcome I too have 4motion with diff lock not sure about the mudflaps

Hi and welcome!
For me personally a reversing camera was a must.
SMG Tonbridge were good to buy from although recent after sales experience hasn’t been great.
Look forward to seeing what you go for!!

:welcome I’m a newbie on here too and about to hit the button on ordering an Ocean. Excited to say the least! I’m going 4motion and diff lock. But I’m also adding hill descent as for £120 I think it’ll help as I live up a pretty big hill and we often get bad weather in winter. I’m also going for the larger fuel tank and I sometimes tow a caravan so I have to have the tow bar too. I asked the question about options to this lovely community too and some said the 4 keys for £120 was worth it as it costs a kings ransom for a new one if you lose one (look up ‘surf keys’ as apparently they’re useful too). I’m cogitating the stronger battery/alternator but don’t know enough about it yet. And the Discover Media Pro people have said is a nice to have if you have spare cash... someone I think said the larger screen will help keep the dash ‘Uptodate’ in 5 years time but it’s a finger print magnet. My friend swears by the traffic sign recognition as he has a heavy right foot but again, only if you have the spare cash. Good luck with your purchase! Exciting times!

Back