Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newly purchased T5 :)

James Parkin

James Parkin

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 13 plate VW Cali via the forum - hi! :thumb
I just wanted to say a big thanks to all for the useful Q&As flying about on the forum; it greatly influenced our decision to buy a Cali(despite the hefty price tag!) and all the little essential (and expensive) goodies required for comfort.

My girlfriend and I are a young couple and have decided to pack in our jobs and do a 4-month stint in Europe. We're going to be going from Hull to Rotterdam, exploring the Netherlands a bit (my girlfriend's home country), then Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro (maybe), Northern Italy, Switzerland and then back again through Germany to the Netherlands and home.

I'm wondering if there's any non-conventional essentials you guys recommend (or if there's a sticky, please can point me in the right direction), any cools apps for camping which you recommend (because there are loads out there!), what we should budget (we've booked the ferry for April .. we'll be travelling during June/July which is peak season .. I know Switzerland is ridiculously expensive .. We're budgeting £75.00 a day, however we hope we can be frugal as we intend to BBQ/eat in the van 90% of the time) and any striking places located in the aforementioned countries which you recommend! ... We're total newbies, so any guidance is really appreciated.

We intend to take her out to Scotland for a week in March for a proper test. Right now we've just been camping on the drive - hah!

Hi again - and thanks in advance for any advice. :thanks

James & Nikita

We have been on the road in Europe for eight months - since 5 June 2017. Two adults, two boys (2 and 4) and a dog.

We use ACSI Camping Card app for off season campsites, as cheap as 11 Euros per night. For peak season we used the main ACSI app. You have to pay to join ACSI. The apps are excellent and they make finding the campsites very easy.

Consider a driveaway awning for extra space when it is wet. The van seems to shrink to about half its size in the wet.

£75 per day should be fine. We are spending about €100 per day, and that includes everything including new shoes for boys' ever expanding feet but not vehicle depreciation. As I think you have Identified, eating out is the thing that can really blow your budget. Set a restriction, e.g. once a week and keep to it - limiting yourselves to one course only really helps too. Look out for free camping spots, as a family in need of good facilities we have had only limited opportunity for this, as a couple you will have many more opportunities.

Keep aside money for excursions. There's no point in visiting Krakow and not going down the salt mines, for example.

If you find yourselves tired or fed up, stay a night or two in a hotel or self catering flat. You will come out clean, reinvigorated and refreshed.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Tom's advice sounds spot on, not that I'm that qualified to comment. However, my OH may retire properly later this year, so I've been doing a bit of research.

Our Tour is a really nice blog about a couple motor homing on a budget, they have some sensible thoughts & lots of info.

We have been on the road in Europe for eight months - since 5 June 2017. Two adults, two boys (2 and 4) and a dog.

We use ACSI Camping Card app for off season campsites, as cheap as 11 Euros per night. For peak season we used the main ACSI app. You have to pay to join ACSI. The apps are excellent and they make finding the campsites very easy.

Consider a driveaway awning for extra space when it is wet. The van seems to shrink to about half its size in the wet.

£75 per day should be fine. We are spending about €100 per day, and that includes everything including new shoes for boys' ever expanding feet but not vehicle depreciation. As I think you have Identified, eating out is the thing that can really blow your budget. Set a restriction, e.g. once a week and keep to it - limiting yourselves to one course only really helps too. Look out for free camping spots, as a family in need of good facilities we have had only limited opportunity for this, as a couple you will have many more opportunities.

Keep aside money for excursions. There's no point in visiting Krakow and not going down the salt mines, for example.

If you find yourselves tired or fed up, stay a night or two in a hotel or self catering flat. You will come out clean, reinvigorated and refreshed.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Appreciate the pointers and I'll check out your blog, cheers!

Thought you had some funky blue headlamps, until I realised the car in front of you must be blue! ;)