Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Next Gen VW Sat Nav

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
The latest Golf 7 has the next generation VW Sat Nav/Media Systems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyBUcCno_i8

Here's a video of the more basic system but gives you an idea of what they are about. I guess we will see these across VW and other VAG vehicles as time goes on, and I am making the assumption that we will see this on the T6, they actually look really good.

Anyway - bearing in mind the shape of the systems and the issues around Canbus and that many of the features on the systems seem very car specific, what are the chances or the likelihood of getting one of these into a T5.

There does appear to be one for sale already on ebay

Just curious

James

Yes I have it on my new golf. Marvellouslly well integrated.Just the job for the California. I'd definitely have it on my next one if available.
Adaptive Cruise Control is really useful too.

rob

robo said:
Yes I have it on my new golf. Marvellouslly well integrated.Just the job for the California. I'd definitely have it on my next one if available.
Adaptive Cruise Control is really useful too.

rob

It looked really smart Rob - I doubt you could retro fit it to a current T5, but i was wondering.

James

I have a bit of a live/hate relationship with our semi integrated Kenwood system which retails at the same as our BM satnav (although that just satnav; not a stereo and BT too)

Love;
Maps seem prettying good
Looks fairly good
The stereo is good.
The speed warnings are great (BMW charge £300 extra for this!!)

Not sure about:
The graphics are pretty basic

Hate:
No DAB
Takes AGES to boot up (I'd say nearly a minute. The BM system is useable after around 5 seconds)
Doesn't integrate that well with an iPhone and takes ages to synch.

I saw advantage in the VW version for twice the price but would definitely like something that's quicker to use and integrates better with a phone.

I have to say that having had two iPhones in the time
Of Betty Custard, I've never had an issues and all works well.

The next gen systems will be much more about multimedia, the days of just Sat Nav systems don't really apply, people expect much more functionality.

I like the 510 system but there's lots of other options to choose from.

James; which model have you got?
Our phones connect okay but rarely display the phone book and voice control rarely works.
With other cars (VW CC, our BM,etc) you just get in, they link and synch then work fine.

I may need to update the software and I plan to buy the latest maps soon.

KernowLad said:
James; which model have you got?
Our phones connect okay but rarely display the phone book and voice control rarely works.
With other cars (VW CC, our BM,etc) you just get in, they link and synch then work fine.

I may need to update the software and I plan to buy the latest maps soon.

I should have said, I don't really bother with voice control and phone books. I answer the phone of someone calls, I suspect if I did i would have all those issues.

I don't think I have even tried voice control? Maybe I should. My phone book comes up okay when people call. I will have a look.

James

Maybe I'm asking too much but it definitely struggles with things other systems have no issues with.

Overall I think it's well worth it - the satnav was essential in Europe, hands free calling (when working) is very handy and usually clear, the sound system is pretty good, the kids like the DVD player option, it reads my USB music fine and so on but it is a bit clunky at times. Not sure there's anything out there (double DIN) that's worth upgrading to yet but I'll keep my eyes open.

KernowLad said:
Maybe I'm asking too much but it definitely struggles with things other systems have no issues with.

Overall I think it's well worth it - the satnav was essential in Europe, hands free calling (when working) is very handy and usually clear, the sound system is pretty good, the kids like the DVD player option, it reads my USB music fine and so on but it is a bit clunky at times. Not sure there's anything out there (double DIN) that's worth upgrading to yet but I'll keep my eyes open.

i think it was/is a good system compared to the expense of factory 510 - the difficulty is, if you're clever you can pick up 510 systems quite cheaply.

I still think it is a good system though - i wish it was more integrated with the van but i can live without that.

James

You can reset the unit if you are having issues which may sort them out. I believe the reset part is above the volume knob and requires a pin to push in the very small switch (like on a bike computer for example). Had a customer who did this who was having issues with the same unit as yours and it sorted them all so well worth a try.

If you had it fitted at PDI then it will have warranty on the unit and always worth talking to the dealer and see what they say. We have replaced one Kenwood under warranty and the warranty process was very easy indeed.

cheers