Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

App connect sat nav replacement?

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Was thinking of going for App Connect instead of the expensive VW sat nav.

I'd assumed I could just download the tomtom app to my iphone and use on the cali screen, but the more I read it seems Apple lock this down to certain apps.

Would I be stuck using apple maps for nav? Wanted to be able to have the full sat nav app (tomtom or other) downloaded to my phone so I wouldn't need to use the data connection.

Was thinking of going for App Connect instead of the expensive VW sat nav.

I'd assumed I could just download the tomtom app to my iphone and use on the cali screen, but the more I read it seems Apple lock this down to certain apps.

Would I be stuck using apple maps for nav? Wanted to be able to have the full sat nav app (tomtom or other) downloaded to my phone so I wouldn't need to use the data connection.
Android probably has more flex but with Apple your are restricted to the apps they let you use.
Apple maps it is for the moment!

I think Android Auto is currently restricted to Google maps, which is no bad thing, but support for Waze is supposedly on the way.

So what happens if you are in the middle of nowhere with no 3G? Presumably your satnav stops working?

So what happens if you are in the middle of nowhere with no 3G? Presumably your satnav stops working?
Or, I presume, you do not get traffic updates and automatic rerouting although the SatNav could continue by dead reckoning.

Thinking more along the lines of if the physical maps are not downloaded to the phone then if you lose 3G then you don't even have the maps. That's why I'd prefer it if it worked with the tomtom app where you have all the maps downloaded so it will still work if you don't have 3G

Thinking more along the lines of if the physical maps are not downloaded to the phone then if you lose 3G then you don't even have the maps. That's why I'd prefer it if it worked with the tomtom app where you have all the maps downloaded so it will still work if you don't have 3G
You'll have to talk to VW or Apple then I'm afraid. Unfortunately nowadays the Big Companies expect you to use what they want you to use as they know best.

I use OSMand on Android but I don't believe it works with Android Auto yet. It uses downloadable maps, many with different levels of detail depending on whether you're hanging around in an area or just passing through.

I will probably use Google maps while the Mifi device has a connection, and then OSMAnd on the phone when it doesn't.

Prior to buying our T6 Ocean in June with the app connect option, I had always preferred Google maps on my iPhone when on foot around strange towns. Plugging the iPhone in when 'mounted' to use the app connect only gives the Apple Maps app. I was sceptical at first but I must say that after using in the camper, it's as good as, sometimes even clearer than, the factory fitted unit in my 2012 allroad. It will have its drawbacks when there is no data available as you can't download maps to the device like you can with Google maps, but I've not really needed route guidance out in the 'sticks' as yet.
Wullie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The route maps are downloaded at the start of the trip, you would only lose the traffic information and any rerouting abilities because of that. They won't stop working if you lose signal, only a new route would be a problem.

We use a iPad mini for a range of things when driving. Also navi. We use Waze, Scout, Googlemaps and AppleMaps. Never had an issue with lost net or not finding our way. We can easy download maps and use the navi offline.

The iPad has the advantage, you can use it for many other purposes, than a mounted navi. Search sightseeing, restaurants, campingspots, and a lot of other stuff the internet offers. You can take it along when you visit a city. And it is a lot more comfortable to operate and a lot cheeper.

It is difficult to see where the VW navi has its advantage over the tablet. Maybe convenience in charging and mounting. More slick integration. But that is about the only I can see.

When we got our (ex-demo) car, I was really unhappy missing the genuine navi, since we had it in former cars, and I really loved it. But I dont think I will put it on the wishlist when time comes for a new Cali …

Funny you should say that I've built a little self contained mobile touchscreen entertainment unit to use in my van. It has media player, as well as emulators for Arcade games and lots of Playstation 1, SNES and Megadrive games. All runs off the very cheap raspberry pi thus a usb port and portable.

I've also been looking at adding a GPS chip to it to complete the package although not because I need to, more to see if I can ;)

Back